Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby Madison » Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 pm

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:You've answered none of my questions, so I boiled it all down to just one. And that's because I'm trying to figure out if you're avoiding answers because you don't want to sound harsh, or if it's because you don't want to sound like a hypocrite. I mean if you think a parent should be allowed to let their kid to suffer through a broken neck with no medical treatment, that's pretty harsh. If you think the parents should be required to get that same kid with the broken neck medical treatment, then you're being a hypocrite when it comes to this kid and his cancer.

I'm not going to skewer you for either answer (usually I'm on the "harsh" side and that's why I get slammed all over the boards, but I still answer those questions), I'm just curious as to which one it is.

The third option is that your questions are straw men and not directed to the point of the conversation, and that's why I chose to move on. But hey - thanks for playing. ;-)


It's not a straw man at all. My question is quite valid. But if you don't have it in you to answer that simple question, then so be it.

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:I don't know where this idyllic concept of some beaming, benevolent government has come from, but it's not reality, that much I can tell you.


And the government being out to get all of us isn't reality either.

And that's why it's a good thing that concept is your construct, not mine. Pretending that's what I meant doesn't mean that's what I meant. I've been very soberly talking about the real government that I interact with on a daily basis. Your response has been "tin foil hats" and "I know a lobbyist who knows some government guys."

The government botches things, the government is overly burdensome, and the government is inept. Pretending that THIS TIME the government is going to rise above their track record puts you in the category of the "beamin, benevolent government" types.

Of the two of us, I'm the one who's sat in the oncologist's office being given the reality of chemo. Of the two of us, I'm the one who's sat in a government office for the past eight years. Guess who's got a better grasp on the situation. :-b


Who's running around talking about "ill-trained" doctors and "Big Brother"? That would be you. I've been very frank and upfront. And if you're going to cry out about the government being out to get all of us, you better believe I'm going to be talking about tin foil hats. ;-D Takes one heck of an ego to think the government really cares about any of us on an individual level and I don't have an ego big enough for that.

Anyway, I can go the same route and get silly with you about a lot of what you said, but I like you and I'm trying not to do that. All I want is to hear a straight answer. I'll ask once more just in case the question was unclear:

Should parents be required to get their kid medical attention if he suffers a broken neck?

Just a simple "yes" or "no" will suffice. Got it in you to answer?

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I don't get the government out to get you stuff. I mean they are actually trying to help someone here not hurt them.

Maybe Madison can explain it, since he's the one who came up with that tangent.


Actually no, I got it from the very beginning. You don't think we should set the precedent because a tiny percentage of the government might be corrupt. And while I don't doubt that's true, living your life worrying about that tiny percentage is a bit much, so I offer a tin foil hat.

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:You seem more concerned about the precedence set (i'm saying this not in an accusatory way btw).

I've been standing on my keyboard shouting that this whole time. Thank you for listening. I am more concerned about the precedent than this child. This child is one child. A precedent affects all children. That is what I'm concerned about.


Yep, this precedent would save the lives of 19 out of every 20 children that have cancer and stupid parents. And we just can't have that! ;-7

Image
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby josebach » Mon May 18, 2009 6:05 pm

I just don't get the slippery slope argument here. There are already laws on the books (and probably have been for quite some time) that consider a parent's failure to provide adequate medical attention negligence. It seems to me that there is no precedent being set here at all and the court is simply following the letter of the law. The only reason this is news worthy is because MSNBC and certain other publications love to choose stories to publicize that shine religion and the religious in a poor light. The parents want to feed the kid broccoli and pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Certainly, a reasonable person would agree that this constitutes negligence for a terminally ill child. If government intervention in cases of child negligence is Pandora's box, it was opened a long time ago. Sure, the govt is faaaar from perfect and I certainly wouldn't want them in charge of my personal finances, but the United States isn't one of the most industrialized and civilized countries on the planet by accident. Look at how children are treated in other countries. I'd pick the US govt every single time.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby knapplc » Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry guys. You're right. The government should step in here. I'm wrong.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Glad we agree. :-b
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm

That was easy. Case solved.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 pm

acsguitar wrote:That was easy. Case solved.


Done deal.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:That was easy. Case solved.


It's actually case closed. Have the government gotten to you too? 8-o
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:That was easy. Case solved.


It's actually case closed. Have the government gotten to you too? 8-o


The leader is great the leader is good
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 pm

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na leader!!
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Gov't Forces Family to Get Chemo for Son

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 am

Seems like I missed a lot today on the road...

I still consider this to be simple. The parents are violating a law here, and should lose their right to make decisions for their child's care because of it. Above all, isn't it more important for the judge to confirm that parental neglect of this magnitude (a likely death) will not be tolerated?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact