Justin Smoak, 1B, Rangers: in AA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Justin Smoak, 1B, Rangers: in AA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Justin Smoak, 1B, Rangers: in AA

Postby Amatter32 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:16 pm

What list is he not on? Whoever wrote that makes it sound like Smoak has come out of nowhere when he was the 11th pick of last year's draft.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Amatter32 wrote:What list is he not on? Whoever wrote that makes it sound like Smoak has come out of nowhere when he was the 11th pick of last year's draft.

The first got was quoting an ESPN fantasy email. They had Smoak on their list of 5 impact call-ups. To be fair, I dont think too many folks had him slated to be up this year preseason, but he was a top first round in most dynasty drafts this year. (12th I think).
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PinstripePride » Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 pm

[quote="

Congrats, I got that email too....

That said, I like Smoak more then the other "elite" guys at his position (Anderson, Hosmer, Alonso). Walking more then he strikes out, good IsoP.

Would probably put him as the 4th best 1B under 25 right now, behind Fielder, Davis and Butler, but just barely behind the last two.[/quote]

Thanks for the congrats but this was for people that dident get this email via ESPN and this kid will be a sept call up and it comes fater with every blalock good game {trade bate]
PinstripePride
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 pm

At this point the only thing I am watching is if he can improve against lefties. He's destroying righties and even though he's only got just over 40 ABs against lefties he's been nonexistant against them to this point(.593 OPS).
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat May 30, 2009 3:43 am

PinstripePride wrote:[quote="

That said, I like Smoak more then the other "elite" guys at his position (Anderson, Hosmer, Alonso). Walking more then he strikes out, good IsoP.

Would probably put him as the 4th best 1B under 25 right now, behind Fielder, Davis and Butler, but just barely behind the last two.

Thanks for the congrats but this was for people that dident get this email via ESPN and this kid will be a sept call up and it comes fater with every blalock good game {trade bate][/quote]

Then you should have attributed it. You just randomly post half a quote with attribution or comment, it looks like you were claiming it as an original thought.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FouLLine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
PinstripePride wrote:It might seem hard to believe that Smoak could be on this list already after just 45 professional games (not including time at the Arizona Fall League), but Smoak's upside is huge. Hank Blalock is in the last year of his contract, and Smoak soon could be pushing Chris Davis to DH to start next season. Smoak's advanced feel for hitting could make him an impact player in 2010, especially given the relative lack of depth in the corner infield pool this year compared to recent seasons.

Would probably put him as the 4th best 1B under 25 right now, behind Fielder, Davis and Butler, but just barely behind the last two.

Fielder is 25, just turned on May 9th. He's the same graduating class as Votto.

I just hope Arlington Park is more kind to Smoak than Kaufman Stadium has been to Billy Butler. Billy Butler put up similar (probably better) numbers in AAA at 21 than Smoak has in AA at 22.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:33 pm

FouLLine wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
PinstripePride wrote:It might seem hard to believe that Smoak could be on this list already after just 45 professional games (not including time at the Arizona Fall League), but Smoak's upside is huge. Hank Blalock is in the last year of his contract, and Smoak soon could be pushing Chris Davis to DH to start next season. Smoak's advanced feel for hitting could make him an impact player in 2010, especially given the relative lack of depth in the corner infield pool this year compared to recent seasons.

So I was off by 5 days. Whoops.

I just hope Arlington Park is more kind to Smoak than Kaufman Stadium has been to Billy Butler. Billy Butler put up similar (probably better) numbers in AAA at 21 than Smoak has in AA at 22.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm

FouLLine wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:

While Kaufman is a pitchers park it isn't the reason Billy has been struggling to date. With that said he is still only 23 so I'm personally not worried at the moment.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:33 pm

And Butler is struggling to hit HR but he is doing ok in the other departments. Not exactly what the Royals were wanting but has shown nice improvement and I would expect his numbers to keep going in the right direction.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby FouLLine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
FouLLine wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:

So I was off by 5 days. Whoops.

lol no wonder why you want to try and flame me... sorry you ranked someone 25 as an "under" 25 year old... You need to use updated ranking charts to copy.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball