Three Most Overrated Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Three Most Overrated Players

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Three Most Overrated Players

Postby WebHamster » Thu May 14, 2009 11:30 am

This thread contains comments on Daniel Cohen's Article "Three Most Overrated Players", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on May 14, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Three Most Overrated Players

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Agree on Upton and Rollins but not on Berkman. I don't think anyone expected a repeat of last year but he is still an elite hitter in my eyes.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby metsfan12 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Upton is young so you can expect inconsistency. He showed EXCELLENT power in the playoffs last year so I don't think you can call it a power drop off from his 24 dinger year. He is hampered by injuries early this year. I think he is a good buy low guy if you can convince owners that he really does suck like this article indicates. I expect he will end up with 20-40 numbers, a .275ish BA and 100 runs at the top of that lineup.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 pm

I agree with all 3. Upton has so much potential but I wouldn't draft him where he was going until he puts all of the power together. When Rollins was going in the first round of my drafts I was laughing at the guy. Berkman is over rated but still good. In my 12 team redraft he went 10th in the 2nd round while I grabbed AGonz in the 6th round.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 14, 2009 5:04 pm

I think it's too early to rate Upton as overrated although I would say he had a great deal of risk in terms of where his power would lie. I reckon he's still trying to get into a groove, shaking off little nicks along the way as well as a corrected shoulder.

As for Rollins, I didn't believe he was worth the late first round pick or even an early second round pick. While it's highly unlikely he'll meet his '07 production, FWIW, he wasn't 100% with a gimpy ankle last year. It's a known fact J-Roll is streaky to a fault, but he's still a good bet for Shane Victorino-like numbers at a premium position (15 HR, 35-40 SB). Once he trades those popouts for line drives (which he hasn't to the point he's unlucky), he'll come around.

I somewhat agree on Berkman. It was difficult to gauge what kind of Berkman you'd get at any given time, given the last couple of years, he's either hit way too many groundballs or way too many flyballs in 1-2 month-long spurts. So, for me, Berkman was a hitter I skipped over in H2H leagues in the hopes I'd get him while he's undervalued. That said, you stated Berkman would wind up with 30 HR and that's about what most owners would've expected. I doubt those who drafted Berkman had expectations of a 40 homerun campaign.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby Geek » Fri May 15, 2009 3:27 am

I've been waiting for Rollins to have a good week so I can unload him just as the article suggests.

He can still run, but he's a below-average hitter. A brand name version of Jason Bartlett.

Upton had one decent power-speed year. He's way overrated.

Berkman should come around.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BillHiggs1 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:16 pm

BJ Upton? Might have posted that article a day too early. Keep watching and find a suitable knife and fork that will assist you in eating those words.
BillHiggs1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Article Discussions