PETA to Ben & Jerry's: Please Use Breast Milk Ice Cream - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PETA to Ben & Jerry's: Please Use Breast Milk Ice Cream

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: PETA to Ben & Jerry's: Please Use Breast Milk Ice Cream

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 14, 2009 8:43 am

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The animal rights movement is basically where it's at today because of PETA. It's never going to reach the point where everyone becomes vegan, but the backlash to fur, factory farms, and other animal abuses that don't involve eating them can be traced almost directly to PETA.

Also, I think PETA's number one priority, regardless of what they may claim, is to promote PETA, and at that, they are very good.

All of which could have been accomplished with an intelligent, well-thought-out campaign aimed at educating people about these abuses rather than shock and scare tactics, assault or bizarre publicity stunts.

I don't know. I mean, it's not as if PETA doesn't have that as well...there's a lot of information out there from PETA that isn't the ridiculous stuff like comparing chickens to Holocaust victims, but it's the shock and scare tactics--as well as the overboard ridiculous stuff like this breast milk request and the Super Bowl ad--that get attention. There's a reason that this, the Super Bowl ad, the ads they put out after the guy was decapitated on the bus in Canada, et al are discussed here and elsewhere, but the less ridiculous stuff isn't. The intelligent, well-thought-out, educational campaigns don't garner the same attention as the shock tactics.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 am

maybe i can talk my wife into making some home-made bewb-milk ice-cream

also...when i think of PETA, i think of these two things

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 am

It would be one thing if the shock and awe was just a hook but that's not the way it works. And it has long been at a point where the PETA label corrupts any message it's attached to because you immediately associate it with crazy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:58 am

Amazinz wrote:It would be one thing if the shock and awe was just a hook but that's not the way it works. And it has long been at a point where the PETA label corrupts any message it's attached to because you immediately associate it with crazy.

MOD EDIT: Completely unnecessary
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It would be one thing if the shock and awe was just a hook but that's not the way it works. And it has long been at a point where the PETA label corrupts any message it's attached to because you immediately associate it with crazy.

bait much? :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Metroid wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

bait much? :-b

It's true though. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu May 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Is it a disease? Is it just stupidity? What is it that makes people think it's OK to throw an entire religion under the bus as a joke?

What's wrong with you?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm

knapplc wrote:Is it a disease? Is it just stupidity? What is it that makes people think it's OK to throw an entire religion under the bus as a joke?

What's wrong with you?

I know right?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 pm

ACS was banned from GT for less. This kind of deliberate instigation is unbelieveable. And to continue on as if it's funny - Yoda, you're amazing. You claim to be this open-minded person, but you're more a hypocrite than the people you denounce.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The animal rights movement is basically where it's at today because of PETA. It's never going to reach the point where everyone becomes vegan, but the backlash to fur, factory farms, and other animal abuses that don't involve eating them can be traced almost directly to PETA.

Also, I think PETA's number one priority, regardless of what they may claim, is to promote PETA, and at that, they are very good.

All of which could have been accomplished with an intelligent, well-thought-out campaign aimed at educating people about these abuses rather than shock and scare tactics, assault or bizarre publicity stunts.

I don't know. I mean, it's not as if PETA doesn't have that as well...there's a lot of information out there from PETA that isn't the ridiculous stuff like comparing chickens to Holocaust victims, but it's the shock and scare tactics--as well as the overboard ridiculous stuff like this breast milk request and the Super Bowl ad--that get attention. There's a reason that this, the Super Bowl ad, the ads they put out after the guy was decapitated on the bus in Canada, et al are discussed here and elsewhere, but the less ridiculous stuff isn't. The intelligent, well-thought-out, educational campaigns don't garner the same attention as the shock tactics.

The Super Bowl ad was awesome, and not just because I'm a straight male. It was over the top and not quite educational, but it wasn't offensive (chicken Holocaust), insane (breast milk ice cream), or assault (red paint). When it's repeated 5,000 times, though, it becomes attention whoring and not just attention getting.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk