Am I crazy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I crazy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I crazy?

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:01 pm

I'm thinking about packaging a couple of my pitchers together for a positional player. I am in a yahoo 10 team keeper league (we keep 6 players) that has the following catagories:

Hitters: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SH, SF, SB, CS, BB, IBB, HBP, K, GIDP

Pitchers: W, L, CG, SHO, SV, OUT, H, ER, BB, IBB, HBP, K, WP, BLK, SVOP

Stat Modifiers:
Hitters: R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SH (1), SF (1), SB (1), CS (-1), BB (1), IBB (0), HBP (1), K (-1), GIDP (-1)

Pitchers: W (10), L (-5), CG (5), SHO (10), SV (15), OUT (1), H (-1), ER (-1), BB (-1), IBB (0), HBP (-1), K (1), WP (-1), BLK (-1), SVOP (-5)

I should note that we start 5 SP.

Here is my roster (thus far....it's a slow draft):

C: A.J. Pierzynski and Jason Phillips
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Michael Young
SS: Miguel Tejada
3B: Miguel Cabrera
OF: Carlos Lee, Austin Kearns
RP: Eddie Guardado, Francisco Cordero
SP: Mark Prior, Roy Halladay, Johan Santana, Brandon Webb, Woody Williams

As you can see I have the five starts at SP that I need and I am considering taking another one with my next pick. Some still available are: Rich Harden, Freddy Garcia, Jake Peavy and Brett Myers. If I get one of these guys I am seriously thinking of trying to make a deal for a top second baseman (Soriano, Boone), outfielder (Beltran, Vlad, Ordonez, Bonds, Wells) or possibly catcher (Posada, Lopez, I-Rod).

Am I crazy to do this? Who should I hold onto? Who should I deal? As it stands right now, if I had to name 6 keepers I would choose the following: Prior, Halladay, Webb, Pujols, Tejada and Lee.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:08 pm

Not knowing who is on the board, I would probably draft Myers out of those guys, but would take Contreras if he's available.

The most plausible trade I could see you making right now is Halladay and Carlos Lee for Beltran.

You have good enough pitching for this one to leave you a little more balanced, if you're comfortable with it.

My advice here applies mainly to 5x5 roto however. With those scoring settings I don't know if it's worth it. Beltran's help in SBs goes down in value with that many categories, and Halladay really helps in CGs, but again, that's a lot of categories.

Beltran helps a lot in triples too, so it might be ok, but I'd advise you to seek the opinion of somebody who's played with those scoring settings before making a move.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers