2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 pm

just a heads up a search of 2009 milb draft in google we are the second hit after mlb.com
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:39 pm

With the 14th pick of the 2009 MLB Draft
Texas Rangers select: Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood H.S.

Rationale:
This stud, besides being straight out of the Rangers home state, flashes a plus plus fastball that regularly sits at 93-95, and has touched 97 a few times this year. Effortless arm action will allow him to command his pitches more than he has needed to at this point in his career, and his curve and change are developing nicely and will be, with a bit more refinement, considered plus pitches. Besides having great makeup, he is extremely athletic and will allow him to maintain a minimal risk of injuries, at least for a prep pitcher. signability is another thing in his favor, as their are no rumors of a holdout, or a protracted negotiation, and that may end up forcing the Nationals hands at 10, if he is still available.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby AEMRICH » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am

With the 15th pick of the draft
Cleveland Indians select Rex Brothers LHP Lipscomb

Indians don't have a great rotation in the majors- they have a couple up and coming arms in the minors but will need to add some more power arms to their rotation. Brothers has a nice fastball in the 94-96MPH range and a good slider to complement in the mid 80's. His delivery is not smooth and needs some work. A lefty who can throw 97 with a nasty slider could also become a dominant closer and i think the indians would be happy with that also as they need the bullpen help in a big way
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am

With the 16th pick of the 2009 MLB Draft
Arizona Diamondbacks select: Bobby Borchering, 3B, Florida HS

Rationale: The Diamondbacks are in search of young power bat at the hot corner and Borchering fits the bill best. Borchering is also one prospect that has been scorching up draft charts since his Cape Cod performance. He’s a tall muscular power hitter that will continue to get bigger and has been compared to Chipper Jones. The D’Backs should see Borchering as a cornerstone in the middle of their order in the future. If Borchering isn't available at 16, then I think Arizona takes 2 prep pitchers rather than overdraft on the next best 3B's Chris Dominguez and Matt Davidson.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 am

With the 17th pick of the 2009 MLB Draft
Arizona Diamondbacks select: Tyler Skaggs, LHP, CA HS

Rationale: I think the Diamondbacks will choose between two California prep arms, Skaggs or Matt Hobgood. Hobgood pretty much will come as is since his body is unlikely to change much but Skaggs still has the frame to grow on and increase velocity. Hobgood is likely the better pitcher right now but Skaggs appears to be the better future pick. All skills being the same, I’d still choose the rarer lefty over the righty just about every time.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

It's interesting to watch Purke fall like a rock in this draft. His talent is there, but nobody wants to pay him. Much like the real draft. Also, Id' bet the d-back would take Minor before Skaggs.

This is fun. I'm glad I signed up.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mac-unit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:47 pm

With the 18th Pick of the 2009 Draft
Florida Marlins select: Mike Minor LHP, Vanderbilt University

Rationale: He has improved his command and this season it has gotten even better as the year has gone on. His fastball, slider and changeup are all quality pitches and he has a curve that he could develop. There were rumors he had a hurt elbow when he didn't throw in the fall after last season but he has been healthy all year. His real weakness is that he probably won't throw any harder then he does now and there has been doubt he would be able to develop his secondary stuff more then it already is.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 pm

Steve-o wrote:It's interesting to watch Purke fall like a rock in this draft. His talent is there, but nobody wants to pay him. Much like the real draft. Also, Id' bet the d-back would take Minor before Skaggs.

This is fun. I'm glad I signed up.

Minor's stock has really fallen with his lackluster tournament performance and the D'Backs like to draft HS pitchers.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:30 pm

mac-unit wrote:With the 18th Pick of the 2009 Draft
Florida Marlins select: Mike Minor LHP, Vanderbilt University

Rationale: He has improved his command and this season it has gotten even better as the year has gone on. His fastball, slider and changeup are all quality pitches and he has a curve that he could develop. There were rumors he had a hurt elbow when he didn't throw in the fall after last season but he has been healthy all year. His real weakness is that he probably won't throw any harder then he does now and there has been doubt he would be able to develop his secondary stuff more then it already is.

Unless the Marlins draft this Purke here, maybe Yankees or Red Sox, Purke is going to college.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Speaking of stock falling...

One of the more consistent performers this spring, Gibson put up good numbers in his final start of the year, tossing eight shutout innings in a regional start, but that was against a non-threatening Monmouth lineup. More importantly, his fastball was suddenly sitting at just 84-87 mph, and he's been struggling with what has been classified as forearm tightness, though it has many worried that it could be, or end up being, more serious than that. "We all know what the forearm is connected to," quipped one scouting director.

I wont be able to draft until I get home from work and look at my info (I was going to take Minor). Sorry for the delay.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball