2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 am

With the 8th pick in the 2009 MLB draft
Cincinnati Reds select: Tanner Scheppers, RHP St. Paul Saints

Rationale- If Scheppers is still here, the Reds will be counting their lucky stars as he’s likely 1 of only 3 college righties with ace potential in this draft, along with Strasburg and Crow. He certainly has the coolest name amongst the top few rounds and the only thing keeping him from not going earlier is a past shoulder injury that is reportedly completely healed. Still, if healthy, his stuff and offerings are 2nd only to Strasburg. If this were a larger market team, I’d probably be leaning towards USC’s Grant Green SS as he’s the only elite middle infield bat in this draft but suffers from bonus demands. In my personal opinion, Scheppers will actually be selected by the Giants with the 6th pick and Green will go to Baltimore with the 5th pick which will lead the Reds to select the only college lefty with ace potential, Rex Brothers from Lipscomb.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Havok1517 wrote:If this were a larger market team, I’d probably be leaning towards USC’s Grant Green SS as he’s the only elite middle infield bat in this draft but suffers from bonus demands. In my personal opinion, Scheppers will actually be selected by the Giants with the 6th pick and Green will go to Baltimore with the 5th pick which will lead the Reds to select the only college lefty with ace potential, Rex Brothers from Lipscomb.

I've seen Green going anywhere from 2 to 20. I actually think where he gets selected is one of the better mysteries in this year's draft.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm

mac-unit wrote:I made the pick without looking at mocks. But I just looked at a few and there were people who made the same pick as me who get paid so I'm not insane with the pick. It may be a little irrational but I'd rather go with the safer pick over an outfielder who has a chance to have a career filled with arm injuries and I don't think he has the pop in his bat to last at 1B.

I just Googled mock drafts and about 90% of the picks were Ackley. I just don't see how any pitcher is really "safer" than any hitter, nor do I see any reason to think Ackley won't be able to play CF or if he does why you'd think he has "a chance to have a career filled with arm injuries." Anyway, my money is on Ackley, and it will probably tick me off if they take somebody else. Carry on. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

With the 9th pick in the 2009 MLB draft
Detroit Tigers select: Jacob Turner, RHP, Westminster Academy

Rationale: Another prep power arm for the Tigers will provide them with a potent 1-2 for years to come with Porcello. His fastball, which he carries easily into the late innings with no drop off in velocity, is usually parked at 92-95, and he has touched 98 a few times this season. Additionally, his ease of motion and arm slot provides spectacular late life. The reason I am such a fan of Turner is because he has the frame that allows for a good deal of projectability, which could bump up his velocity and ability to break his curve off harder. Furthermore, he has had great coaching to this point, with former major leaguers Andy Benes and Todd Worrell's sons also playing for Westminster. Signability is a factor, however, the Tigers know an ace when they see one, and he will most likely be their man.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 am

With the 10th pick in the draft the
Washington Nationals Select- Tony Sanchez, C- Boston College

Rationale- After likely having to spend a record amount to sign Strasburg the Nationals are going to have to go cheap and they can't take the best player available approach. Tony Sanchez is a solid defender with a good arm at Catcher, his bat has some power to it but he still needs to work on his hitting abilities. This past year he really worked on his plate discipline cutting his K's from 66 to 32 at last check. This will be a similar pick as the astros last year taking a catcher who has end of the first round talent very early on. While I feel there are many better players available the Nats need to make a pick that they can sign.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 am

With the 11th pick in the draft
Colorado Rockies Select Mike Leake RHP, Arizona State

Rationale- The Rockies were in the World Series just a few short years ago and have fallen off the edge in a big way. Their rotation always seems to need help and the Rockies has a recent history of selecting College Pitchers in the first round and this year the trend will continue. Leake gives the Rockies a nice future rotation of Jeff Francis, Ubaldo Jimenez, Christan Feidierich, Jhoylus Chacin, Mike Leake. Leake is a smart pitcher with a FB that can hit 94 but sits lower than that, he has a nice arsenal that includes change up, cutter, slider. Leake has number 2 potential written all over him
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:31 am

AEMRICH wrote:With the 10th pick in the draft the

Rationale- After likely having to spend a record amount to sign Strasburg the Nationals are going to have to go cheap and they can't take the best player available approach. Tony Sanchez is a solid defender with a good arm at Catcher, his bat has some power to it but he still needs to work on his hitting abilities. This past year he really worked on his plate discipline cutting his K's from 66 to 32 at last check. This will be a similar pick as the astros last year taking a catcher who has end of the first round talent very early on. While I feel there are many better players available the Nats need to make a pick that they can sign.

Hmm, why would they pick a catcher here? The Nationals have Flores, though currently injured, in town as a cornerstone for the franchise, and rightly so. Rizzo and the enitre franchise raves about him. I don't know how or why the Nationals would select Sanchez here as he's a college player and deemed to move fairly quickly. I agree the the Nationals will likely lay up and select a guy that won't break the bank at 10 but they won't select a 21 year-old college catcher here when they have far greater needs to address. At only 24, Flores has top-10 offensive catcher ability not to mention awesome defense. It'd be like the Dodgers selecting a Sanchez when they have Russell Martin, a player Flores is often comapred to. I think its far more likely they'll pick a non-conventional pitcher here like Stock, Dyson, Storen or a college senior pitcher here. Just my 2 cents.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 am

Havok1517 wrote:
AEMRICH wrote:With the 10th pick in the draft the

Hmm, why would they pick a catcher here? The Nationals have Flores, though currently injured, in town as a cornerstone for the franchise, and rightly so. Rizzo and the enitre franchise raves about him. I don't know how or why the Nationals would select Sanchez here as he's a college player and deemed to move fairly quickly. I agree the the Nationals will likely lay up and select a guy that won't break the bank at 10 but they won't select a 21 year-old college catcher here when they have far greater needs to address. At only 24, Flores has top-10 offensive catcher ability not to mention awesome defense. It'd be like the Dodgers selecting a Sanchez when they have Russell Martin, a player Flores is often comapred to. I think its far more likely they'll pick a non-conventional pitcher here like Stock, Dyson, Storen or a college senior pitcher here. Just my 2 cents.

I agree to your points and was debating players here. I like Flores but just because he is in Washington I don't think it stops the Nats from taking a player like Sanchez- while he may be 21 he still IMO is 3 years from the bigs lots can change between now and 3 years with Flores. The Nationals do have lots of needs but Sanchez wouldn't surprise me at this pick in real life. The other guy I almost went with is Mike Trout- i don't see Stock, Dyson or Storen going here. Your point is very true though while Sanchez likely won't be the pick I could see it as a possibility- I am curious though if a guy like Scheppers, Crow, Grant Green or Tate fall this far would the Nationals still go the cheap route?
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:23 pm

With the 12th pick of the 2009 MLB Draft
Kansas City Royals select: Grant Green SS, USC

Rationale- If it weren't for a slow start to the 2009 season he would be a sure top 5 pick. The Royals drafting plans the past few years have selected the best player available and Green is that(They are also pretty thin at SS throughout the organization). He is a potential 20-20 guy in the future when his power fully develops and he gets some professional coaching.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm

With the 13th pick of the 2009 MLB Draft
Oakland Athletics select: Tyler Matzek, LHP,
6'3", 185, from Caistrano Valley High School

Oakland is not afraid to shy away from high school arms, and with Tyler Matzek, they have a good one. Regarded as one of the best LHP in this years drafts, he even fits an organizational need for lefties. His fastball sits in the low 90s and he has three above averages pitches. His mechanics are generally regarded as clean, or at least as clean as any high school pitcher. There may be a signability issue since he has committed to Oregon, but Oakland will get this pick done. It wouldn't surprise me if he went to Baltimore at 5.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball