2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 pm

mac-unit wrote:With the first pick in the 2009 MLB draft
The Seattle Mariners select: Alex White RHP, UNC

Rationale- There is no sure fire 2nd pick in this draft and a lot of what I'm reading has Ackley going 2nd but I wouldn't want to risk that injury and I don't think he will make in as a 1B which is where the Mariners are weak in the minors. White has a fastball with movement and can reach 95 mph, he has a plus slider he is confident in, a curve he can throw for strikes, an average changeup that will need to improve and his best pitch is a hard spilter. He has also been said to have a different type of sinker. That's 6 pitches and if he can improve his changeup fast he could be up in the bigs sooner rather then later.

Future Plans- If he can develop his change along faster he will have a much quicker route to the big league club. If I had to bet I'd say he will play rookie ball this season, start 2010 at A or A+ move up to AA and either have him finish the season there or have him come up as a September call up. Then 2011 he should either start on the big club or be down in AAA for the first few months of the season.


Man I hope you are wrong. I don't like the 1B argument because you should never draft for "need" since by the time a kid is ready you have no idea what your need really will be. Besides, the M's actually are set at 1B with Carp at AAA and Clement no longer thought of as a C. Ackley will be plus CF and as a hitter he's perfectly tailored to Safeco. I'm going to be pissed if it's anyone besides Ackley that gets the nod.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mac-unit wrote:With the first pick in the 2009 MLB draft
The Seattle Mariners select: Alex White RHP, UNC

Rationale- There is no sure fire 2nd pick in this draft and a lot of what I'm reading has Ackley going 2nd but I wouldn't want to risk that injury and I don't think he will make in as a 1B which is where the Mariners are weak in the minors. White has a fastball with movement and can reach 95 mph, he has a plus slider he is confident in, a curve he can throw for strikes, an average changeup that will need to improve and his best pitch is a hard spilter. He has also been said to have a different type of sinker. That's 6 pitches and if he can improve his changeup fast he could be up in the bigs sooner rather then later.

Future Plans- If he can develop his change along faster he will have a much quicker route to the big league club. If I had to bet I'd say he will play rookie ball this season, start 2010 at A or A+ move up to AA and either have him finish the season there or have him come up as a September call up. Then 2011 he should either start on the big club or be down in AAA for the first few months of the season.


Man I hope you are wrong. I don't like the 1B argument because you should never draft for "need" since by the time a kid is ready you have no idea what your need really will be. Besides, the M's actually are set at 1B with Carp at AAA and Clement no longer thought of as a C. Ackley will be plus CF and as a hitter he's perfectly tailored to Safeco. I'm going to be pissed if it's anyone besides Ackley that gets the nod.


He still hasn't shown anything for scouts in center since he had the Tommy John surgery. His arm was ok at best before the surgery and this year he will be limited to first maybe even to start next season. Plus centerfield is probably the Mariners biggest organizational strength. You may not want to draft to need but when the kid is stuck in A ball because there's no spot for him in higher levels it is a problem.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 pm

mac-unit wrote:He still hasn't shown anything for scouts in center since he had the Tommy John surgery. His arm was ok at best before the surgery and this year he will be limited to first maybe even to start next season. Plus centerfield is probably the Mariners biggest organizational strength. You may not want to draft to need but when the kid is stuck in A ball because there's no spot for him in higher levels it is a problem.


Given the success rate of Tommy John, I don't think it's fair to assume that his arm is going to take a hit. Even if it comes back average (lots of guys have come back throwing harder), range is much more important than arm when evaluating an OF. I think corner OF is maybe the biggest organizational strength (and relief pitching %-6 ), but there's not a legit defensive centerfielder in the system. I would be very surprised if either Saunders or Halman managed to stick in center. I really don't see a single player in the system that would hold him up.

I really don't see any reason at all to take position into account in an MLB draft. The future is so unknown that you should always go BPA. If down the road you find yourself with a glut at some position, you just do some shuffling with another team.

Anyway... I still say Ackley will be the pick. And he'll be the best pick.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mac-unit wrote:He still hasn't shown anything for scouts in center since he had the Tommy John surgery. His arm was ok at best before the surgery and this year he will be limited to first maybe even to start next season. Plus centerfield is probably the Mariners biggest organizational strength. You may not want to draft to need but when the kid is stuck in A ball because there's no spot for him in higher levels it is a problem.


Given the success rate of Tommy John, I don't think it's fair to assume that his arm is going to take a hit. Even if it comes back average (lots of guys have come back throwing harder), range is much more important than arm when evaluating an OF. I think corner OF is maybe the biggest organizational strength (and relief pitching %-6 ), but there's not a legit defensive centerfielder in the system. I would be very surprised if either Saunders or Halman managed to stick in center. I really don't see a single player in the system that would hold him up.

I really don't see any reason at all to take position into account in an MLB draft. The future is so unknown that you should always go BPA. If down the road you find yourself with a glut at some position, you just do some shuffling with another team.

Anyway... I still say Ackley will be the pick. And he'll be the best pick.


Yeah, I agree. I think Ackley will be the pick though I could see Donovan Tate as a possibility if his bonus issues aren't too bad. Ackley is safer with some good upside while Tate is riskier with a ton of upside. I just think they have to two pick 1 of the 2.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8513
(Past Year: 117)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm

With the third pick in the 2009 MLB draft
San Diego Padres select: Dustin Ackley, OF/1b, UNC

Rationale: Surprised by Seattle's reluctance to take the sweet swinging Ackley. He is the best pure hitter in the draft, and this past year has quelled the fears of scouts about his power, as he had hit 19 HR at last count. He profiles as a premium defender in CF with his speed rating a 70 on the 20-80 scout scale. Ackley has the unique ability to square the balk on the barrel of the bat, and it has resulted in three straight years of .400 average. If he only ends up as a 1b, he will still be a unique player that doesn't have solid comps because of his speed and his ability to make solid contact.
Image
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1672
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 pm

With the 4th pick of the 2009 MLB draft
Pittsburgh Pirates select: Aaron Crow RHP, Fort Worth Cats

Rationale- There was report the Pirates have been looking closely at 3 pitchers and Crow was one of them. Unlike a year ago his changeup is now a major league type change so outside of Strasburg he could have the quickest route to the majors which I think makes the Pirates take him since they need some help at starting pitching throughout their entire organization.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mac-unit wrote:He still hasn't shown anything for scouts in center since he had the Tommy John surgery. His arm was ok at best before the surgery and this year he will be limited to first maybe even to start next season. Plus centerfield is probably the Mariners biggest organizational strength. You may not want to draft to need but when the kid is stuck in A ball because there's no spot for him in higher levels it is a problem.


Given the success rate of Tommy John, I don't think it's fair to assume that his arm is going to take a hit. Even if it comes back average (lots of guys have come back throwing harder), range is much more important than arm when evaluating an OF. I think corner OF is maybe the biggest organizational strength (and relief pitching %-6 ), but there's not a legit defensive centerfielder in the system. I would be very surprised if either Saunders or Halman managed to stick in center. I really don't see a single player in the system that would hold him up.

I really don't see any reason at all to take position into account in an MLB draft. The future is so unknown that you should always go BPA. If down the road you find yourself with a glut at some position, you just do some shuffling with another team.

Anyway... I still say Ackley will be the pick. And he'll be the best pick.



I made the pick without looking at mocks. But I just looked at a few and there were people who made the same pick as me who get paid so I'm not insane with the pick. It may be a little irrational but I'd rather go with the safer pick over an outfielder who has a chance to have a career filled with arm injuries and I don't think he has the pop in his bat to last at 1B.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 pm

With the 5th pick in the draft, the Baltimore Orioles select:

Kyle Gibson, Univ of Missouri
21 y.o., 6'6", 210 lb, RHP

Bonus concerns be damned. The Orioles are not afraid to spend the money (see Wieters, Matt) and the generally take the best available prospect. Tate is considered here, but I'm reading they want another arm. Plus I think Gibson's age and development path make him fit better with their core of guys looking to peak in 2-3 years than the 18 year old Tate.

Gibson has a plus slider, plus fastball in the low 90s, an average change, and excellent command. He is very projectable due to his size and control with a #2 ceiling. However, there are some scouts that see his average fastball velocity limiting to a #3 starter and others who complain about his mechanics. Gibson fits in with Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta to build a formidable future rotation.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1879
Joined: 7 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Finally back home. A sweet 15 mi from Miller Park.

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:37 am

With the sixth pick in the 2009 MLB draft
San Francisco Giants select: Donovan Tate, OF, UNC


Rationale: The best pure athlete in the draft. Tools? He has them coming out the wazoo. Outstanding Plus plus runner, grading out as a 70 on the 20-80. He also possesses a cannon for an arm that grades out as a plus tool. He also has the ability to make in game adjustments that can only help speed his arrival to the show. Also has outstanding bloodlines, with his father Lars having been a running back for the Dallas Cowboys. The pursestrings will have to be opened wide, however, as Tate has been rumored to be seeking a signing bonus in the area of $6mm to sign him away from a two sport commitment to UNC.
Image
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1672
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 am

With the seventh pick in the 2009 MLB draft
Atlanta Braves select: Zack Wheeler RHP, East Paulding High School (GA)

Rationale- Wheeler is a home town guy the Braves just can't help but select due to his talent the ability for the Braves to get a small discount. He's very projectable for a high schooler with his 95 mph fastball, decent secondary offerings, and size. I personally don't think he's the best pitcher available but he makes too much sense for the Braves. I personally believe that Sheppers, Brothers, and Turner are all better pitcher selections here. The only other player that would have made sense was the afore-selected Donavan Tate as the Braves are thin organizationally in premium outfielders.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8513
(Past Year: 117)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact