2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft

Postby AEMRICH » Fri May 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I'll take the D'Backs if no one has a problem with it?

I presume, we'll start a rotation order with the 5 pickers we currently have minus the teams already spoken for. When exactly are we going to start drafting btw?

i will take the rangers- i posted this message a while back and only this past week have people shown interest. My intention was to have all potential drafters signed up by friday- if people want to still sign up though they can- we currently have the 5 drafters and we can rotate choosing what team we want
seems the order is going

havok
aemrich
macunit
steveo
thomasps3

when we make our picks it would be nice to have a little blurb about the reason for our choices. Once we have managers assigned to all teams we can start the draft
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 am

So where are we in this? I'm ready to go......
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am

we will just go with the 5 people we have signed up i will assign the rest of the picks using the order that we were signing up for
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 am

i have updated the front page with the five of us signed up to draft for teams from the first round to the end of the first supplemental.
aemrich- number of picks 7
havok- number of picks 7
thomasps3- number of picks 8
steve0- number of picks 7
macunit- number of picks 8

we can start the draft today- i will go shortly with my first pick. Do a little bit of research to know the guys who you are drafting, know a little about the team you are drafting for in their minors, if you know about a teams philosophy on the draft throw a bit in there, also mention if you have a gut feeling on a guy.
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:01 am

Sweet, let's get this thing rolling. Just want to make a point here: we are drafting based on if we were GM of a team, not exactly what we think the GM of the team would actually choose....
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 am

i prefer if we are the gm of the team but am fine with what you might think the real gm might do- financial reasons, prefers HS arms, likes college arms, very thin at C etc.
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 am

Welcome to the 2009 Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2009 Mock MLB Draft- We have five managers signed up (Havok, aemrich, MacUnit, Steve-o, thomasps3) to draft for baseballs different organizations from the start of the first round to the end of the first supplemental round. The MLB draft is an event that is growing larger and larger as the fans are becoming increasingly interested in minor league players and even college and high school ball athletes. This year the greater fantasy world has already been introduced to one of, if not the greatest, college baseball pitcher ever- Stephen Strasburg. Strasburg has so much attention on him that CBS Sports has added him to their database of players. The gap between Stras and the rest of the field is exponential! It is a lock that he will go first in this months draft but the big question is who will go 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on. No other player has yet to separate himself from the rest of the field with only weeks until the big day. The crop of players this year is pitcher heavy with interesting talents from college RHP and LHP pitchers. Last years draft was full of fantastic bats that went in the first round- Justin Smoak, Brett Wallace, Yonder Alonso, Buster Posey, Pedro Alverez. This year the college bats you should know are Dustin Ackley UNC, Rich (Kodiak Bear- nickname from Project Prospect) Poythress Georiga, Grant Green USC, Tim Wheeler Sac. State. As mentioned the pitching will be very heavy in the top of the draft and with good reason with guys like Aaron Crow, Tanner Scheppers, Alex White, Kyle Gibson, Aaron Crow, Mike Leake and countless other arms. Many have said that this years talent after Strausburg isn't much to write home about but that has been said about many other drafts that have produced exciting talents, and I have no doubt that this year will be any different. Enjoy the ride and allow yourself to become caught up in your teams new hopes and dreams that come with every selection.

Round 1-
Washington Nationals are ON THE CLOCK
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: 2009 MILB Cafe Draft- In Progress

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am

With the first pick in the 2009 MLB draft
Washington Nationals select: Stephen Strasburg SP, SDSU

Rationale- Mark Prior once was regarded as the best college pitcher ever, it is time for him to move aside and give that crown to Stephen Strasburg. Stephen has blown away the competition literally with a fastball that can touch 102MPH. The nationals don't have a lot of great arms in their system behind Zimmerman, Detwiller, and Ballester and Stephen will be an Ace from day one. While some have his contract demands at possible 50M it is necessary that the Nationals sign him after not getting Aaron Crow to sign last year.

Future Plans-Many believe that Stephen can step in from day one and be MLB ready, as GM I will be very careful with the Golden Arm and put him in Double AA for 2 starts with pitch count limits of 75, followed by a promotion to triple AAA for several starts with strict pitch counts as well. Depending on how Stras handles these assignments and where his IP for the year will be at he will either be shut down- or called up to pitch out of the bullpen every 5 days to keep his pitch counts low and innings low while at the same time allowing him to get a feel for MLB lifestyle and hitters.
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 am

If you didn't make that pick, I would've had to drop out of this ! Good choice, no contest. Best talent.....
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm

With the first pick in the 2009 MLB draft
The Seattle Mariners select: Alex White RHP, UNC

Rationale- There is no sure fire 2nd pick in this draft and a lot of what I'm reading has Ackley going 2nd but I wouldn't want to risk that injury and I don't think he will make in as a 1B which is where the Mariners are weak in the minors. White has a fastball with movement and can reach 95 mph, he has a plus slider he is confident in, a curve he can throw for strikes, an average changeup that will need to improve and his best pitch is a hard spilter. He has also been said to have a different type of sinker. That's 6 pitches and if he can improve his changeup fast he could be up in the bigs sooner rather then later.

Future Plans- If he can develop his change along faster he will have a much quicker route to the big league club. If I had to bet I'd say he will play rookie ball this season, start 2010 at A or A+ move up to AA and either have him finish the season there or have him come up as a September call up. Then 2011 he should either start on the big club or be down in AAA for the first few months of the season.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball