Mauer Power - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer Power

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mauer Power

Postby Field » Wed May 27, 2009 10:45 pm

FWIW, Funston has Mauer ranked 11th on his latest Big Board.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed May 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Field wrote:FWIW, Funston has Mauer ranked 11th on his latest Big Board.

The industry drafts have taken him as a top 15 player for several years now, not surprising, though still insane.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:the problem with selling him high is that even "back down to earth Mauer" is still a top 3-4 catcher...in a 10 or 12 team 1 catcher league, you can probably find an adequate replacement, but in deeper or 2 catcher leagues, aint a whole lot on the wire, so i better be getting an enormous return to trade him, and i'll doubt you find too many owners willing to pay that, but if you can, more power to you

Back down to earth Mauer is still the #1 catcher, with McCann's lackluster run totals and Martin's mysterious disappearing power. I do believe at least some of this power is real. His contact rate is down and his K rate is up which means he's adjusted his swing to give him more power, and he's always been built like a slugger (6'5 230 pounds). What's scary is that he has yet to mature completely as a hitter; if he can pull out both weapons on any pitch and at any time, he can potentially be a .325 AVG, .420 OBP, 27-32 HR guy. Much more likely, though, is him settling in at 20-24 HR from here on out.

If you can hook another owner on the 1st round upside then go for it. Just because a player is a sell high doesn't mean that his dominance isn't real, just that his current value is higher than his probable value from here on out. We see someone apply a "sell high" tag and often assume they're trying to say that the player actually sucks.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Padres Fan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:22 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:the problem with selling him high is that even "back down to earth Mauer" is still a top 3-4 catcher...in a 10 or 12 team 1 catcher league, you can probably find an adequate replacement, but in deeper or 2 catcher leagues, aint a whole lot on the wire, so i better be getting an enormous return to trade him, and i'll doubt you find too many owners willing to pay that, but if you can, more power to you

Back down to earth Mauer is still the #1 catcher, with McCann's lackluster run totals and Martin's mysterious disappearing power. I do believe at least some of this power is real. His contact rate is down and his K rate is up which means he's adjusted his swing to give him more power, and he's always been built like a slugger (6'5 230 pounds). What's scary is that he has yet to mature completely as a hitter; if he can pull out both weapons on any pitch and at any time, he can potentially be a .325 AVG, .420 OBP, 27-32 HR guy. Much more likely, though, is him settling in at 20-24 HR from here on out.

If you can hook another owner on the 1st round upside then go for it. Just because a player is a sell high doesn't mean that his dominance isn't real, just that his current value is higher than his probable value from here on out. We see someone apply a "sell high" tag and often assume they're trying to say that the player actually sucks.

See I agree, Mauer has 2 batting Tittles and is a great hitter, I think the lack of power was just Minnesota developing him as a hitter, since they are more about fundamentals, he was also a 1st overall pick so he always had the talent, plus besides the momers he has been one of the most steadiest performers at his position for years now.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers