Mauer Power - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer Power

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mauer Power

Postby nsulham » Mon May 25, 2009 3:38 am

jfg wrote:I've always been a team guy rather than caring a ton about players. I've really only been able to call Hrbek, Puckett and Griffey Jr. my "favorite players", but Mauer is getting there. He is just a fun player to watch and this season has just been amazing so far.

I hate that though, because I don't want to let that get in the way of managing a good fantasy team. I offered Haren and Sandoval for him in my money league and that was turned down.... I so want to offer Miggy Cabrera but I am using my better judgment and hope I don't kick myself later.

I love Mauer but I'm not sure I'd offer Miggy. Might want to hold off on that one.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 am

I've studied tapes and accounts for several weeks now in order to answer the question of why Mauer is hitting home runs. I couldn't figure it out...Mauer's injury, his past HR history, his sudden surge of power at this precise time....and then it all clicked. Upon a sudden, brilliant burst of insight, I realized that Matt Wieters and Joe Mauer haven't been photographed in the same room at least since before he came off the DL. The answer to the question of Mauer's power as well as the question of why Gregg Zaun is still manning the plate in Camden Yards is one and the same. Wieters is and apparently has been missing from the Bowie Baysox, and all the fans have been looking for him in Prince George's County. They won't find him there. Instead, they should be looking for him in whatever city the Twins are playing in.

That's right.....shocker of the year.........the man we know as Joe Mauer is actually Matt Wieters in disguise!

Mauer is still patiently rehabbing his injury in AAA waiting to be called up, blissfully unaware that Wieters intercepted said call and from then on tied Mauer's name to a monumental display of power and hitting ability.

Fantasy owners sell high, because the real Joe Mauer won't be in the dark forever, and he will eventually claim his rightful name. Expect solid numbers for him: 11 HR, 85 RBI, .325 AVG. And should Wieters avoid jail time for identity theft, his owners should be absolutely ecstatic since people here are touting him as a 1st/2nd rounder next year. :-L

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon May 25, 2009 4:50 am

jfg wrote:I've always been a team guy rather than caring a ton about players. I've really only been able to call Hrbek, Puckett and Griffey Jr. my "favorite players", but Mauer is getting there. He is just a fun player to watch and this season has just been amazing so far.

I hate that though, because I don't want to let that get in the way of managing a good fantasy team. I offered Haren and Sandoval for him in my money league and that was turned down.... I so want to offer Miggy Cabrera but I am using my better judgment and hope I don't kick myself later.

miggy? that's insane. mauer's surge is going to end soon. and he's a bigger injury risk than miggy.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jjs » Mon May 25, 2009 7:45 am

I think this is great for him. Because I don't think he ever gets the credit he deserves. He is one of the best catchers of all time. But because of the lack of power, he never gets the attention.

I remember before the season people saying McCann is the best catcher in baseball. Not just fantasy wise, but all around. What a joke! Why cause he could hit 25 hrs. Now people are going to start realizing just how good Mauer is.
jjs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Padres Fan » Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 pm

He has always had power potential, but has concentrated on hitting and defense, Mauer can also steal a base, there is a reason Minnesota picked him 1st overall in the 2001 draft, he is a 5 tool player. The Minnesota Twins are a fundamentals based ball club, and ask anyone who played ther and they wish they can return, Torii Hunter was even praising the Minnesota Twins for his developement.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jfg » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

nsulham wrote:

I love Mauer but I'm not sure I'd offer Miggy. Might want to hold off on that one.

I know, I'm using my better judgment.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Mauer pinch hit 2 run bomb! ;-D
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby thebawler » Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

lol unreal pinch hit homer in the bot 9th against paplebon........this guy is unconscious!
V.Mart, P.Fielder, Alexi.R, D.Wright, M.Young, S.Drew, D.Lee, A.Dunn, C.Granderson, N.Cruz, G.Jones, Aramis.R

C.Sabathia, S.Baker, J.Sheilds, D.Price, J.Verlander, J.Lackey, M.Cain, T.Hanson. F. Rodriguez, J. Valverde, B. Lidge, J.A. Happ, M. Latos
thebawler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nsulham » Mon May 25, 2009 5:42 pm

I also have Papelbon so that hurt a bit but I have to laugh at this point, Mauer's off the charts.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon May 25, 2009 8:25 pm

This guy is on fire, another HR today, how long can he keep this up?

I'm considering trying to cash in on his success and trade him for someone like Hanley, Reyes(assuming he gets healthy) or even Miggy. Obviously it would have to be a 2-1 deal, but at the same time having this kind of production out of the C spot is sweet and hard to give up. Decision, decisions ...
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers