Serious Prospect Help Needed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Serious Prospect Help Needed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Serious Prospect Help Needed

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey folks, I'm in a 10 team, H2H, 21 player keeper league, with huge stat lines (R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, XBH; W, CG, SV, H, HR, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, PICK). We get 5 minor league players on our prospect roster. Here's the five I've got now (I was absent for the draft):

Wieters (on my actual roster)
1. Jason Heyward, ATL, RF
2. Mike Moustakas, Kansas City, SS
3. Brett anderson, Oakland, P
4. Aaron Hicks, OF
5. Greg Halman, Seattle, OF

I like my first 3: Heyward, Moustakas, and Anderson - but not the last two. Here's who's available:
Kyle Blanks (1B), Logan Morrison (1B), Jeremy Hellickson (SP), Nolan Reimold (LF), Kris Medlen (SP), Michael Bowden (SP)

I could list more, but I'm currently hurting bad at 1B and having talented, young, SPs never hurts.

Please advise me on which two prospects to add for Hicks and Halman (or to not add). Thanks, and leave a link if you need some help.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Serious Prospect Help Needed

Postby Steve-o » Tue May 12, 2009 8:13 pm

This is how I had them ranked at the start of the season with a little blurb on how they are doing now:

Logan Morrison (1B), (out with wrist injury)

Aaron Hicks, OF (Crushing in Rookie ball)
Michael Bowden (SP) (Microscopic ERA and WHIP in AAA, but not really striking anyone out)
Greg Halman, Seattle, OF (Leads AA in HR, but contact a big problem - Mike Cameron like ceiling?)
Kyle Blanks (1B), (Swinging well in AAA, but like to see him strike out less with more xBH)

Jeremy Hellickson (SP), (One of the top performers in AA)
Nolan Reimold (LF), (One of the top performers in AAA, but a little old for league)
Kris Medlen (SP), (Another top performer at AAA)

I probably wouldn't drop Hicks, as long as you are okay with waiting. I'd also probably drop Halman for Morrison if you can wait for him, but the injury probably pushes his timetable back to late 2011 at the earliest. I'm not a fan of guys who don't strike people out enough, so I wouldn't go after Bowden. Blanks is seriously blocked by Adrian Gonzalez, but I read that they are trying the 300 lb behemoth in the OF. Plus you have to deal with Petco so I probably woudln't make that switch either.

I guess the big question is whether one of the bottom three has shown enough to jump over Halman if you don't want to wait. I've read that Medlen's ceiling is more like a #3 MLB starter, which means pretty low end for fantasy. Same thing goes for Hellickson, but the depth of TB's pitchers may mean a longer timeframe before he is up. I'm not a big believer in Reimold, but I could see adding him over Halman if you were looking for more immediate help.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Minor League & College Baseball