Return to General Talk

orgasmic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: organic

Postby Yoda » Wed May 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Metroid wrote::-b

Back on topic I agree with Mook, buy local as much as you can. Don't worry so much about eating "all natural" or "organic", if you buy local chances are it will be organic...or close to it. And not only is buying locally good for the environment, it's also good for your local economy. It's often more expensive but it's worth it in the long run, for you and for you community. I don't like major chain stores because they don't carry local products. Some may though, you might have to ask.

I don't shop at Costco either, I've always viewed it as just another "Wal-Mart" type store, but I'm curious...do they at least support local farmers? Anybody know? :-?

I think organic does matter because they don't pump your food with all the chemicals, additives, pesticides, hormones and other junk.

Costco does not support local farmers as far as I know.

I've read reports where a certain level of synthetic materials are allowed to be used on organic products. And you asked for links on the milk and I provided them a couple pages back. Again it's still better than the regular junk on the grocery shelves but don't fully believe the hype.

And my point really wasn't that buying organic doesn't matter it's that buying locally matters much more. If you buy locally chances are it is just as "organic" as the stuff you buy at Safeway or Costco or Wal-mart or wherever, plus you are supporting local farmers, helping the environment, and helping your local economy. ;-)

Well even if organic food have 50% of whatever crap they put on everything else, it's still better IMO.

I agree with supporting local businesses but it's really not that easy to do.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: organic

Postby Metroid » Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Yoda wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:
I think organic does matter because they don't pump your food with all the chemicals, additives, pesticides, hormones and other junk.

Costco does not support local farmers as far as I know.

I've read reports where a certain level of synthetic materials are allowed to be used on organic products. And you asked for links on the milk and I provided them a couple pages back. Again it's still better than the regular junk on the grocery shelves but don't fully believe the hype.

And my point really wasn't that buying organic doesn't matter it's that buying locally matters much more. If you buy locally chances are it is just as "organic" as the stuff you buy at Safeway or Costco or Wal-mart or wherever, plus you are supporting local farmers, helping the environment, and helping your local economy. ;-)

Well even if organic food have 50% of whatever crap they put on everything else, it's still better IMO.

I agree with supporting local businesses but it's really not that easy to do.

Yeah like I've said before, it's probably still better than half the junk on grocery store shelves. ;-D

And yeah it is tough to support local businesses, I'm not going to pretend that all I buy is local, but I try. We usually hit the Saturday Market every Saturday or at least every other Saturday, and we try to get most of our produce from stores that support local farmers but sometimes we end up running to Safeway for something because it's so close. Meats are the tough one, local butchers are tough to find anymore.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re: orgasmic

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 13, 2009 12:21 pm

Food?
I thought this thread was about turning off the google censor settings.

8-o
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk