knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: organic

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:The problem is that it's fairly easy to fool the government, short of knapp. :-D

I'm going to need to see you in my office. :-C

:-B

Fixed my quote. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Metroid wrote:Yeah I was going to comment on this too, although the "all natural" label can be just as much BS as "organic" one if not more, anyone can slap an "all natural" label on their product and never have to show proof that it is. "All natural" is not a regulated term. I trust an organic label more than I do an all natural label, at least "organic" is somewhat regulated. However I'm pretty sure farmers are allowed to use some synthetic products, so don't be fooled. Still I'd rather eat the organic products than most of the crap that's on grocery shelves....when I can afford it.

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply that an "all natural" label is somehow more authentic than an "organic" label. As you've said, the "all natural" labels have essentially no regulation. I've seen stuff labeled "all natural" that had all kinds of crap in it. Newman's Own, comes to mind. The lemon and limeades that they make both have HFCS, but are labeled "all natural." I ignore the labels for the most part and just read the ingredients. A lot of the stuff I buy I know to be organic, but it's not labeled organic. Probably 90% of the produce and meat I eat either comes from my own yard, the farmers' market, or a locally-owned natural foods store that carries as much local product as possible. Most of the farms and ranches that they carry can't afford, or otherwise haven't gone through the organic certification process, so they can't put the sticker on the food, but it's still organic. The labels are decent enough guides, but they certainly aren't the be all, end all.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yeah I was going to comment on this too, although the "all natural" label can be just as much BS as "organic" one if not more, anyone can slap an "all natural" label on their product and never have to show proof that it is. "All natural" is not a regulated term. I trust an organic label more than I do an all natural label, at least "organic" is somewhat regulated. However I'm pretty sure farmers are allowed to use some synthetic products, so don't be fooled. Still I'd rather eat the organic products than most of the crap that's on grocery shelves....when I can afford it.

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply that an "all natural" label is somehow more authentic than an "organic" label. As you've said, the "all natural" labels have essentially no regulation. I've seen stuff labeled "all natural" that had all kinds of crap in it. Newman's Own, comes to mind. The lemon and limeades that they make both have HFCS, but are labeled "all natural." I ignore the labels for the most part and just read the ingredients. A lot of the stuff I buy I know to be organic, but it's not labeled organic. Probably 90% of the produce and meat I eat either comes from my own yard, the farmers' market, or a locally-owned natural foods store that carries as much local product as possible. Most of the farms and ranches that they carry can't afford, or otherwise haven't gone through the organic certification process, so they can't put the sticker on the food, but it's still organic. The labels are decent enough guides, but they certainly aren't the be all, end all.

Buying local is the way to go, like you I try get most of my produce from our local grocery store or the farmers market when I can get there. Good call on just reading the labels, that's really good advice. Rule of thumb: if you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby knapplc » Tue May 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Metroid wrote:Buying local is the way to go, like you I try get most of my produce from our local grocery store or the farmers market when I can get there. Good call on just reading the labels, that's really good advice. Rule of thumb: if you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body. :-b

Yeah, but I can pronounce kind of... everything. :-{ :-*

We have a farmer's market every Saturday in the summer, and the fam makes it pretty much every week. We get local produce, we get our garden plants and flowers from there, and good local bread and meat. I don't know if it's organic but it's fresh, good, and it helps the local economy. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Buying local is the way to go, like you I try get most of my produce from our local grocery store or the farmers market when I can get there. Good call on just reading the labels, that's really good advice. Rule of thumb: if you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body. :-b

Yeah, but I can pronounce kind of... everything. :-{ :-*

We have a farmer's market every Saturday in the summer, and the fam makes it pretty much every week. We get local produce, we get our garden plants and flowers from there, and good local bread and meat. I don't know if it's organic but it's fresh, good, and it helps the local economy. ;-D

Whoa for a second there the word "flowers" was blue and when I hovered over it it was an add. 8-o
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 am

I was on a fast during lent of just fruits and veggies (not all were 'organic', but close enough when you see what is in my normal diet. It did raise my awareness about the different types of foods out there. Not just some apples and oranges.
I felt extremely great over the three weeks, and lost weight. Like most people who take part in fasts or diets, I gorged when it was through. Nice weather has come, and me and the wifey are making an effort to eat better, lose weight, and be much more active with the kids, be it sports or yard work.
Is there really a difference between the 'organic' stuff and regular fruit and veggies? I mean, what if the land used to grow your 'organic' strawberries had corn on it the year before, and they used pesticides that time, but not now? Basically, is that small cost difference (small, yes, but we're on a budget, ya know) worth it if your goal is to just be more healthy and energetic?
Would you take vitamins (One-A-Day) if you were to do this? Are vitamins organic? :-b
Anyways, this thread has been nice for some ideas on how to enjoy the summer with our two boys some more. I'm going to have to look into that HFCS stuff. Never really made a big deal about it.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 am

knapplc wrote:High Fructose Corn Syrup is in everything these days. I agree that it's worthwhile to avoid.

geeze...havent you guys been watching the commercials put out by the corn refiners association...it's not bad for you at all ;-7
http://sweetsurprise.com/videos/brothers-tv-spot
http://sweetsurprise.com/videos/two-bites

not that this isnt spun by them to make it seem just fine for you, but i think the anti-HFCS movement is somewhat overblown...http://sweetsurprise.com/myths-and-facts and for those too lazy to click an extra link http://sweetsurprise.com/myths-and-facts/top-hfcs-myths

bottom line...too much sugar in any form is not good for you...you guys are just falling for the propagand put out there by Big Sugar
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 am

The term "organic" is a pet peeve of mine. Organic means it's carbon based. So, yeah, I'm eating organic.

This is much worse than homosexuals hijacking the word gay because organic actually has a scientific definition that is being perverted by people hawking organic foods. bah

Instead of eating "organic" I try to eat locally. Shopping locally is good for the environment and local stuff tends to be less treated b/c it doesn't have to travel. As much locally grown stuff as possible (except for strawberries b/c I need those year round) and as little from cans and packages as possible. The one main exception is pasta, I basically eat it twice a day now and (even though it tastes 50 time better) it takes so long to make pasta yourself that I have to eat packaged pasta.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby knapplc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 am

Mookie4ever wrote:This is much worse than homosexuals hijacking the word gay because organic actually has a scientific definition that is being perverted by people hawking organic foods. bah

Don't forget their usurpation of "fag." The other day my buddy was going out to smoke a fag, and he got a 30-minute lecture from his supervisor on how he shouldn't shoot gay people. He was like, "It's just a cigarette." Smoking fags makes people gay, but do you think you can say that anymore? No-o-o-o. Thanks a lot, homosexuals. :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk