orgasmic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

orgasmic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

orgasmic

Postby Yoda » Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Is anyone on an organic diet? My wife and I started to covert over a few weeks ago. I haven't gotten my new credit card bill so I can't tell how much more we are spending at the grocery store. But I feel much better and eat a lot less now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: organic

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Any chance you'll be less disgruntled now?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 pm

we'll buy some organic stuff, but i wont grossly overpay for it
Milk (well, we buy that Horizon Organic...so i guess that's corporate organic) - lasts a lot longer, tastes better ;-D
Eggs - Cage Free/Free Range, although lately there is a guy i work with who raises chickens and brings in eggs ;-D
Vegetables - sorry...i'm not paying an extra $1.00 for a green pepper or apple. i'll take my chances :-t
Meat - i went in on a whole cow once, but typically again i'll just take my chances and not grossly overpay for organic meat i find at the store :-t

however, my wife wants to make home-made baby food for our 5 month old when he is ready for solids and said he is only eating orgainc, so i may ultimately lose the veggie battle

also, i've been trying to avoid processed foods more and more, but i'm not a dirty hippie or anything like that, so we'll still eat that kind of stuff from time to time
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Any chance you'll be less disgruntled now?

Sure as long as people stop asking me stupid questions.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:we'll buy some organic stuff, but i wont grossly overpay for it
Milk (well, we buy that Horizon Organic...so i guess that's corporate organic) - lasts a lot longer, tastes better ;-D
Eggs - Cage Free/Free Range, although lately there is a guy i work with who raises chickens and brings in eggs ;-D
Vegetables - sorry...i'm not paying an extra $1.00 for a green pepper or apple. i'll take my chances :-t
Meat - i went in on a whole cow once, but typically again i'll just take my chances and not grossly overpay for organic meat i find at the store :-t

however, my wife wants to make home-made baby food for our 5 month old when he is ready for solids and said he is only eating orgainc, so i may ultimately lose the veggie battle

also, i've been trying to avoid processed foods more and more, but i'm not a dirty hippie or anything like that, so we'll still eat that kind of stuff from time to time

We go to Costco to buy eggs, milk, yogurt, spinach, tortilla chips (only like $4 for a giant bag) etc. Everything so much cheaper there.

We are trying to stick with veggies/fruits that are in season so they taste better and are relatively cheaper.

I've almost cut processed food out of my diet. I'll have some things once in awhile (i.e. fried chicken) but I've noticed that almost everything that is processed has a ton of sugar or salt in it. After sticking to nonprocessed for a while you really notice it.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

I prefer my food highly irradiated. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Any chance you'll be less disgruntled now?

Sure as long as people stop asking me stupid questions.

What's your favorite color? WHIR
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby fezzik » Tue May 12, 2009 3:54 pm

A friend of mine is on an organic diet and says he has more energy.

I definitely prefer the organic milk (as was mentioned by Mr. Lambskin)...tastier and lasts longer. I'll use fresh organic produce when it's given to me by a friend from his/her personal garden, but I don't usually pay for it.

That's all I know about that...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Tue May 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Why does a gallon of organic last longer?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Old_Style wrote:Why does a gallon of organic last longer?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2008/10/organic-milk-la.html

Q&A: Does organic milk last longer?
Why does the organic milk I buy last so much longer than regular milk? —J.H., Holden, Mass.

Organic milk often undergoes "ultrapasteurization," in which the milk is heated to a very hot 280° F (137.8° C) for 2 seconds, rather than the 161° F (71.7° C) for 15 seconds used in conventional pasteurization. By killing more bacteria, the extra heat extends the milk's expiration date. It's not clear whether organic-milk producers ultrapasteurize as an additional safeguard against bacteria, since organic cows consume no antibiotics, or simply to extend shelf life. Properly refrigerated, ultrapasteurized milk has a shelf life of 40 to 60 days unopened, compared with 15 to 17 days for milk pasteurized the regular way. But you should consume all milk within 7 to 10 days after opening.

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk