Please help improve my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please help improve my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help improve my team

Postby wallywojo » Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 am

First, I had a strategy initially where I was looking to take middle relievers to help boost my WHIP/ERA numbers, but pitchers have been killing me. I just recently added Zito for Hughes. As you could tell I took no pitchers early to focus on my hitting. Also, I threw away SB because they are too expensive in our league. Also, our league has 2 P spots that can be any pitcher, 7/10 owners use 2 SP there to boost Win and Strikeout numbers.

H2H 10 team mixed league
Categories: Runs, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, SV, ERA, WHIP

My Roster:
C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Derrek Lee
2B Dan Uggla
3B David Wright
SS Michael Young
2B/SS J.J. Hardy
1B/3B Chipper Jones
OF Carlos Quentin
OF Raul Ibanez
OF Ryan Ludwick
OF Shin-Soo Choo
UTIL Josh Hamilton
Bench Geovany Soto
Bench Adam LaRoche
Bench Chris Coghlan

P Scott Downs
P Michael Wuertz
SP Joba Chamberlain
SP Chris Young
SP Javier Vazquez
SP Kevin Slowey
SP Barry Zito
RP Brad Lidge
RP Joe Nathan
RP Juan Cruz

DL Joakim Soria
DL Kelvim Escobar

We keep 5 players for next year. We are not allowed any bench pitcher spots. Currently in last place after an embarrasing 0-10 score last week.

Hitters avail:
Mark Reynolds
Thome
Burrell
Conor Jackson
Milton Bradley
Ankiel
Millledge
Kubel

Pitchers avail:
Jorge De La Rosa
Dangerous Doug Davis
Pettitte
Sonnanstine
Hanrahan
Gavin Floyd
Zach Duke
Guthrie
Maine
Richmond
Parra
Arroyo
Davies
Zimmerman
Penny
Pineiro
Bannister

Any help appreciated and post your thread so I can help you. Thanks
wallywojo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please help improve my team

Postby klocektime » Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I have chipper too and am prob gonna try and deal him as he is injured and I think will continue to be the case.

I would look at pettite, and gaving flloyd and bannister depending on their next starts. The yanks have a high powered offense, and despite their homerun producing ballpark, will put up good numbers and pettite should have a good season. Flloyd I don't know about as the white sox are very up and down, but he has potential. Bannister has looked great so far, and KC is having a good season. You could drop laroche and snag one of them.

Also keep an eye on burrell, I'm a philly fan, and once the rays get going he'll have good numbers. Especially now being in the AL.
klocektime
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for the help on mine.

I would look into Conor Jackson to fill-in for D.Lee while he deals with his slump and chronic injuries. Conor Jackson's been awful so far this year, but his past production and talent level both indicate that he'll be able to turn it around shortly.

As far as pitching goes, your waiver's looking pretty thin. I would personally pick up John Maine. His ERA's inflated because of two bad starts earlier this season, but he's been great otherwise. He has a career .231 BAA with a good offense and bullpen backing him up, and the new Citi field appears to have been designed with pitchers in mind. I would recommend Zimmermann, but the Nats offense is horrible outside of Dunn and Zimmerman, and their bullpen is possibly the worst in the majors. I would keep an eye on Parra, Bannister, and Richmond - especially Bannister. His ND in Seattle is misleading since although he gave up 6 R, only 3 were earned. He won't rack up the K's, but he has excellent control and plays for a contender. Parra... well, Parra's probably the riskiest/least good pickup of the three I mentioned, with Richmond falling in between. Parra hasn't had any TERRIBLE games, but he has given up 5 ER twice and batters always seem to find a way to get the ball into play against him. He also has a lot of control issues and is awfully close to issuing a walk per inning. However, he did win 11 games last year with almost a 1K/IP, and he's a young guy so if he gets his control down there's no reason to think he can't build on his success from last year.
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ChasingSaves » Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 am

Tough to improve in a lot of spots there, that team is pretty solid. Obviously you do need a little bit of pitching depth there. I'm not sure what categories you are losing most in, but Jim Thome could give you a lot of help in power, and I'm not sure what to expect from Coghlan. If you need power he looks like a good pick up. Also, I think your pitching should be even better when Escobar comes off the DL. And owning soria too, that is a very competitive bullpen.
ChasingSaves
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wallywojo » Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 am

klocektime wrote:You could drop laroche and snag one of them.

thanks for the response, but I cannot have a bench pitcher in my league so I would have to drop a pitcher to do this. Knowing this do you feel the same?
wallywojo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mhuhn23 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Carlos Quentin, plus you just lost Ludwick to the DL. I'd package quentin with a strong player like Ibanez and go after a better 2B than Uggla and then take a weaker of then Ibanez. Uggla's numbers haven't been too impressive, and he's probably been dropping your average. I would suggest Brian Roberts or Brandon Phillips at 2B. Ibanez is having a good enough year where you could snag one of those guys and still get a decent OF to replace Ludwick.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team