Knock, knock! How you liking the Tiges so far? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Knock, knock! How you liking the Tiges so far?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Knock, knock! How you liking the Tiges so far?

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 am

Galarraga really needs to have a minor league assignment to see if he can rediscover himself. Though with Willis such a mess and Bonderman so far away from attempting to contribute, that will leave 2 rotation spots as huge question marks. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lucas French audition and/or maybe the return of Miner as a starter. If they even think about Ruddy Lugo, it won't be pretty.

Could they possibly look at a FA like Pedro or Byrd out of desperation? Those guys are unsigned for a reason, but pitching depth can be hard to come by.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:07 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20090616/C ... +push+next

A team willing and able to spend a little bit of money in this economy could get some good players without necessarily needing premium prospects to give up. I still remember a string of years where the Tigers were well out of it by this point in the season. It's nice to have the franchise back in solid shape.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I think it is a stretch to say that this franchise is in solid shape. Look at Verlander last night. He lost his control and instantly became hittable. How long before he recaptures that command? Jackson is going to be a FA after this season, and who is to say that he will want to stay here, even though I fully expect the Tigers to pay top dollar to keep him. After Porcello there is absolutely no viable startng pitching.
Quite frankly, both Robertson and Willis are stealing from a blind man. Dombrowski was a fool to sign to guys coming off of subpar seasons. multiple seasons in Dontrelle's case. So what have they done to show their gratitude?
Willis gave only lip service to trying to change his out-of-control pitching style, and Roberson has given up on the season. What kills us is that you cannot sit every one. So we still get to see Nate show no resemblance to the bull dog mentality he was once known for, as he tosses BP. Then Dontrelle the Walking Man. Stand proud, Willis, and don't go changing. When your deal is done, so are you.
Now move to the non-pitchers.
Miggy, Granderson,............... Gosh, is that all there is? Those are the only two players we have who can be mentioned when all-star talk is in the air. And Grandy is hitting well enough at this point. It scares me to think of the chances we are missing out on becuase Dombrowski has built such a poorly constructed team.

Sorry for being so negative, but I love the Tigers and it kills me to watch a game and see so many scrubs and minor leaguers flailing away for Detroit. I almost puked when LFer of the week Don whatever totally misplayed Duncan's double in the first. Is there any possible reason that the Tigers minor league system doesn't teach fundamentals?
C'Mon Jackson. Shut the Cards down tonight and snap me out of this.

Why don't we see if Kenny Rogers wants to pitch? Tom Glavine? Syd Finch?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 pm

they're done
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Very succinct Dan. And tru.

Maggs has been benched, starting tonight. So apparently the Tigers are trying to find a way to rid themselves of his contract clauses. So he sits, according to Mlive.com http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2009/06/tigers_slumping_magglio_ordone.html

"I'm going to get him away from it a bit," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland. "When the player is puzzled, it's not unfair for the manager and coaches to be puzzled. He's working his (butt) off; he's just befuddled right now. He's beating himself up and I'm going to let him breathe a little bit."

Leyland said he is out of the lineup "indefinitely" and was leaning against using him as a pinch-hitter while not totally ruling that out as a possibility against left-handed pitchers.

Not even using him as a pinch hitter? Man that's harsh, but Maggs has earned everything he gets. This is a production business and a Ga-jillion dollor singles hitter who cannot play in the field isn't going to work.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 pm

well they are trying to prove me wrong :-b

going to the game tonight...hopefully it wont be the return of Singlio
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:38 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:well they are trying to prove me wrong :-b

Hoped you enjoyed the game!!!!
Wasn't that Magglio hitting that walk off homer? Nah, it was the pinch-hitter for the pinch-runner/defensive replacement for Singlio.
And that is exactly why they should just bite the bullet and cut Maggs now. A 220 Mudhen shows more pop in his bat than once feared Maggs.

What the bleep was Laird doing allowing Zumaya to throw an off-speed pitch to Hoffenpuff? Blowing gas pass the dude and he floats a change-up in there?!?

8 games over 500. Who dah thunk ;-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

moochman wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:well they are trying to prove me wrong :-b

Hoped you enjoyed the game!!!!
Wasn't that Magglio hitting that walk off homer? Nah, it was the pinch-hitter for the pinch-runner/defensive replacement for Singlio.
And that is exactly why they should just bite the bullet and cut Maggs now. A 220 Mudhen shows more pop in his bat than once feared Maggs.

What the bleep was Laird doing allowing Zumaya to throw an off-speed pitch to Hoffenpuff? Blowing gas pass the dude and he floats a change-up in there?!?

8 games over 500. Who dah thunk ;-D

yeah it was a great game...i won a dollar betting my friend that Singlio wouldnt have any Extra Base Hits (6:1 odds)

i didnt realize Laird blew that call...either way i'm sick of Zumaya blowing leads...maybe we can sucker some team into trading us a Corner OF or Starter for him

i still think the Twins catch us at some point...but for now i'll continue to enjoy the ride...much better than this time last year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers