14 team H2H - WHIR!!! WHIR!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

14 team H2H - WHIR!!! WHIR!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

14 team H2H - WHIR!!! WHIR!!!

Postby caliendo » Mon May 11, 2009 5:23 pm

14 Team League. Head to Head Weekly. DAILY Line up changes. Scoring is Runs/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP. 8 keepers allowed.

C
Bengie Molina, SF, C
1B
Jorge Cantu, Fla 1B, 3B
2B
Robinson Cano, NYY 2B
3B
Kevin Youkilis, Bos 1B, 3B
SS
Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS
OF
Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
OF
Adam Dunn, Was OF
OF
Ryan Ludwick, StL OF
OF
Matt Holliday, Oak OF
OF
Daniel Murphy, NYM OF
Util
Matt LaPorta, Cle OF

BN
Alex Gordon, KC 3B -DL
BN
Skip Schumaker, StL OF
BN
Mike Lowell, Bos 3B
BN
Elvis Andrus, Tex SS

P
Roy Oswalt, Hou SP
P
Ricky Nolasco, Fla SP
P
Joe Saunders, LAA SP
P
Bronson Arroyo, Cin SP
P
Scott Downs, Tor RP
P
Joe Nathan, Min RP
P
Brian Fuentes, LAA RP
P
Brian Wilson, SF RP

BN
Dallas Braden, Oak SP
BN
Zach Duke, Pit SP
BN
J.J. Putz, NYM RP
DL
John Lackey*, LAA SP

Ok guys Im in 2nd place right now. I feel like I can make my team A LOT better though with a couple trades. I was thinking that I should trade Rollins/Ellsbury for someone with some power. Im going to lose SB every week with Ellsbury being the only guy who steals any bags so I feel like I should just sacrifice that category. I also feel like Rollins is probably done, and since its a keeper league maybe I should trade him for someone young and good, and maybe a pitcher. What do y'all think?
caliendo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 14 team H2H - WHIR!!! WHIR!!!

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm

It depends on who you'd try to target with Rollins/Ellsbury. I don't think it's a good idea, I feel that Rollins has a good year in him, he's just getting off to a slow start like most elite players. Try not to get too antsy - there's no reason to think he won't be able to turn it around, and considering the offense he hits in and his home park, there's too much potential for production to consider shopping him barely 6 weeks in. But, like I said, it all depends on who you'd get in return.

As for giving up on steals, I think you actually have a lot of potential for SB in the team you're fielding. Keep in mind that most teams don't usually put up huge SB numbers (unless their OF is Crawford, Ellsbury and Abreu somehow) week to week, so even though your squad may not have a lot of players that swipe bags at a decent rate, the couple guys you have that will do so I feel are enough to keep you competitive in that category. Holliday, Ellsbury, and Rollins all have shown that they can be SB machines, so I wouldn't give up on SB completely just yet.

As far as shaking things up, I think that the your team could improve the most with changes in SP. It's just a complete fluke that guys like Oswalt and Nolasco have been struggling as much as they have, and Fuentes' peripherals are of some concern as well. I would drop Bronson Arroyo, or try to package him with Nolasco (about whom I'll stop just short of saying he'll be a bust) for a decent 2nd or 3rd starter, or a promising young stud who has promise as a keeper. I like your Dallas Braden pick-up, as his ERA is among the league's best for how many starts he has, and his home field is where hitters go to die (compare Holliday's April production this year to last year's). Losing Arroyo won't be a big deal at all, especially considering that Lackey's due back very soon, maybe even sometime this week.

Also, a couple things you didn't mention, but that I feel are worth discussing -

I'm down on Ryan Ludwick. I feel his production last year was outside of his ability, and he should be hitting much, much better considering the lineup protection that Pujols gives him. He clearly has the power to prove me completely wrong, but until that happens I would consider shopping him around to see what you could get for the guy.

Scott Downs has been lights out as the closer with Ryan on the DL, but Ryan will eventually come back, and who knows which B.J. is going to show up - the 32 save stud from '08, or the '09 dud who could barely tickle 90 this season so far. The Blue Jays are paying him way too much money to rationalize using him as a set-up man, and there's a very real possibility that Downs will revert back to the 8th inning man once Ryan is back, and if Ryan's returns healed up and as good as he can be, Downs would become worthless. If you're willing to roll the dice and deal him, I would considering that you have Nathan and Fuentes, however Downs would be worth holding onto as keeper considering it looks like Ryan doesn't have much left in the tank after this year.

Don't trade Matt Holliday, and trade Mike Lowell. I'm not sure how you're feeling about Holliday given his production this far, but resist the urge to trade him if you've been feeling it. He's a good hitter that seems to have woken up a bit recently, and although his numbers will be limited by Oakland's ballpark, there's a very real chance he'll be traded long before the deadline, and if he does than you can expect a huge boost in his power numbers. As for Mike Lowell, he's been raking this year and is on pace to post similar numbers to his great '06 and '07 campaigns, but I'm here to tell you that this is unlikely. Lowell historically starts the season off hot, but his numbers taper off as the season wears on. Also, it's unrealistic to expect him to hit 20/100 this season like he did a couple years ago - he's a few years older now, his bat's slowed a tad, and although the BoSox offense is scoring runs, it's still not nearly as strong as it was when Lowell posted those huge numbers a few years ago with Manny and a non-horrible Papi. Although the possibility that he turns in a career year is always possible, I would personally try to sell high while you can.

What do you think of trying to package Lowell and Bronson for a young stud pitcher like you were thinking, Maybe Lowell/Nolasco/Arroyo? I think it might be worth it, depending on who you can get in return. Maybe work Ludwick in there too, if you're feeling up to it.

All in all, I like your line-up. You have a very good mix of established, quality players with some really promising young talent to hold on to for the coming years. Hopefully I was of some help to you, let me know what you think of my analysis. Best of luck with the rest of the season, and judging by the strength of your lineup I think you'll be set to get to first place before long. If you wouldn't mind returning the favor, I'd really appreciate it - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=384532
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: 14 team H2H - WHIR!!! WHIR!!!

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 am

Sorry, I gave you some bad information before and I feel that I have to update you (thanks for your input on my thread, by the way) - I'm sure you've heard by now, but Toronto's GM has said that when B.J. Ryan comes off the DL, he's going to be used in middle and long relief for the Blue Jays, and the closer's role is Scott Downs' to lose. Obviously, this completely contradicts what I said before as to what I thought was going to happen once Ryan was healthy, so hold on to Downs for dear life. Toronto has a crazy high-powered offense, and despite the fact their starting rotation has been completely destroyed by injury all of the random fill-ins they've been throwing into the fray have performed incredibly well, so Downs should be seeing plenty of more saves to come. Hold on to the guy, but, other than that, I still stand by everything I said in my previous post.
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team