Is Tejada being undervalued? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Tejada being undervalued?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DJUmperPSU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:25 pm

werent renteria's stats better than tejadas in 03?
DJUmperPSU
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I snatched up Tejada with the 25th overall pick. Here's to a year like '02 ;)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:41 pm

LBJackal wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I generally agree that Tejada is undervalued compared to Nomar, but want to correct one impression that persists despite much evidence:

CAMDEN YARDS IS NOT A HITTER'S PARK.

It is true that during its first few years, it was a slight hitter's park, but since the mid 1990s, with the building of other hitter's parks, Camden Yards is now almost as much a pitcher's park as Oakland's stadium. While it boosts homers, it has a very negative effect on batting average, doubles and triples, and runs.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but do you have evidence? I'm just curious. Because how can it go from being a hitters park and Oakland being a pitchers park, and then when hitters park's are added it soemhow closed the gap between Camden and Oakland so that Camden might even be worse for hitters? From everything I've heard, and looking at home/road splits for players on both teams, it seems that Camden is a better hitters park.

I'm not seeing this very negative effect on BA. Most of their hitters are either the same at home as on the road, or much better at home for BA. The only stat that seems to be down in Camden is Runs scored. But Oakland is still worse at Runs scored according to the index.

Camden was 6th in BA+ in the park index, compared to Oakland's 13th. So I don't see how Tejada WON'T get better getting out of Oakland, especially considering the much better players he has around him now.

So I guess I'm just questioning how you can say Camden has a very negative effect on BA when it's the 6th best park in the majors for high BA.

Where are you getting your numbers from, LB?

The ones at BaseballReference.com make OP@CY a 95 overall on 3 year park index, while Oakland is a 97 over the last 3 years. The ones from TSN make OP@CY the 22nd worst in average and 23rd worst in runs (Oakland was 25th on average and 24th in runs).

The difference can happen because it hasn't only been other parks that changed. The two parks have changed over time. OP@CY has changed the location of home plate at least twice over the past few years.

This may change again. I was just vacationing in Baltimore and saw a story that they have added new seating that will shrink the foul areas. That can certainly boost offense.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:59 pm

I was looking at the wrong column on here...........the headings were in text that wasn't readable and I must have shifted my reading a column left. So that turned out to be HR's, not BA O:-)

But my point is, his situation is getting better. Oakland is a hitter's nightmare considering their stadium and their lineup. He should also get more SB's with a coach who likes to run more. He's been successful 80% of the time over the past 3 years. That's much better than Hairston's 66% and they let him run all the time causing people to predict 50 for him. I can see Tejada getting 30 HR and 15-20 SB's this year. And if not for the month of April, Tejada would have hit .303 last year. Moving to a better park and lineup, I'd look for him to crack 300.

Like I said, it's a close call between him and Nomar, but Tejada's durability and the fact that you can get him a round later make him the better choice.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jebatzel » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:02 pm

I just got offered Al Lieter for Tejada

people are crazy

I want to trade him to get some pitching, but I think I may wait till he is tearing the cover off the ball.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sigtaulefty » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:04 pm

jebatzel wrote:I just got offered Al Lieter for Tejada

people are crazy

JB

I would take that trade anyday......if I were trading Leiter. ;-D
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:10 pm

LBJackal wrote:I was looking at the wrong column on here...........the headings were in text that wasn't readable and I must have shifted my reading a column left. So that turned out to be HR's, not BA O:-)

But my point is, his situation is getting better. Oakland is a hitter's nightmare considering their stadium and their lineup. He should also get more SB's with a coach who likes to run more. He's been successful 80% of the time over the past 3 years. That's much better than Hairston's 66% and they let him run all the time causing people to predict 50 for him. I can see Tejada getting 30 HR and 15-20 SB's this year. And if not for the month of April, Tejada would have hit .303 last year. Moving to a better park and lineup, I'd look for him to crack 300.

Like I said, it's a close call between him and Nomar, but Tejada's durability and the fact that you can get him a round later make him the better choice.

I completely agree with you on Tejada versus Nomar...I was just trying to correct the impression that still persists that Camden Yards is a hitter's park. At worse, Tejada's park move is a non-factor, since they are basically equivalent parks (and offenses, really). It's Tejada's age and durability that makes him the better choice.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby -1FA- » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:11 am

thanks for the info...I ended up taking him in the 2nd round.
-1FA-
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers