Is Tejada being undervalued? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Tejada being undervalued?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Tejada being undervalued?

Postby -1FA- » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:44 pm

Does anyone think that his slow start to last year was a fluke or could it happen again?

Seems like a hitters ballpark would increase his value a bit.

Is he still a 1st round pick sometime after the first 5 picks?
-1FA-
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrmarley » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Don't think he's a 1st round pick, but anywhere from early to mid-2nd round should be a good spot for him. In my drafts, he's gone:

16th (cafe challenge)
16th (original draft in a keeper league)
21st
24th
30th (undervalued at this pt)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:00 pm

That's funny, I just did a big thing in the Nomar vs. Tejada thread. I might as well toss it in here. The more I think about it, the more I think that Tejada may end up having a year this year that could make him a 'sleeper' in that, even though few people are getting him in the first round, his stats will end up being good enough to get him there next year!

Here's my stuff from the other thread:

Only downside I can think of for Nomar is his dropoff on the road which tagged me the first week of the playoffs. I got killed by this last year and, as they are back on the west coast this year, I decided not to even think about Nomar, even though he IS one of my favorite players to watch. He has always been a bit better @ home but last year the dropoff was very pronounced (.359@ home vs.243 on the road. As I am in a H2H league, I think that it contributed to my demise in the playoffs ( I also had Millar and Mueller as starters who took a vacation that week...I only have Ramirez from the Bosox this year). For some reason, to me, this might go hand in hand w/ him getting up in years and that sort of thing as well, harder to travel or something like that.

Tejada, on the other hand, is young and, despite the 'injury' stuff recently, may be better. He did take a LONG time to get warmed up last year but was much more productive the second 1/2. This is not necessarily a bad thing the way our league seems to work. Everyone gets locked in on the dudes that do well the first half and the value of 'slow starters' seems to really plummet.

To me, even though the numbers appear to favor Nomar, I might have considered Tejada instead, had I not gone w/ Soriano for my second round IF. Actually, Nomar went FOURTH in our league and Tejada went like 29 so I could have gotten Tejada but picked Ramirez/ Soriano/ Sheffield for my first 3. I had decided before the draft though to go for Berroa a bit lower and was able to pull that off too.

I think that it will be a closer call than it might appear, looking at last year's total stats. I think Tejada may very well have a much better year this year and that it could be worth taking a chance on him.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:16 pm

I generally agree that Tejada is undervalued compared to Nomar, but want to correct one impression that persists despite much evidence:

CAMDEN YARDS IS NOT A HITTER'S PARK.

It is true that during its first few years, it was a slight hitter's park, but since the mid 1990s, with the building of other hitter's parks, Camden Yards is now almost as much a pitcher's park as Oakland's stadium. While it boosts homers, it has a very negative effect on batting average, doubles and triples, and runs.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby sigtaulefty » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:32 pm

I lucked into Miggy in a ten team roto 6x6 league in the fifth round with the 7th pick of the fifth. (47 overall)

The other big SS went:

Arod Rd 1 pick 3 (3 overall)
Nomar Rd 2 pick 6 (16 overall)
Renteria Rd 5 pick 3 (43 overall)
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jonnyblack » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:25 pm

sigtaulefty wrote:I lucked into Miggy in a ten team roto 6x6 league in the fifth round with the 7th pick of the fifth. (47 overall)

The other big SS went:

Arod Rd 1 pick 3 (3 overall)
Nomar Rd 2 pick 6 (16 overall)
Renteria Rd 5 pick 3 (43 overall)

Renteria before miggy, hmmmmmmm.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:50 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I generally agree that Tejada is undervalued compared to Nomar, but want to correct one impression that persists despite much evidence:

CAMDEN YARDS IS NOT A HITTER'S PARK.

It is true that during its first few years, it was a slight hitter's park, but since the mid 1990s, with the building of other hitter's parks, Camden Yards is now almost as much a pitcher's park as Oakland's stadium. While it boosts homers, it has a very negative effect on batting average, doubles and triples, and runs.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but do you have evidence? I'm just curious. Because how can it go from being a hitters park and Oakland being a pitchers park, and then when hitters park's are added it soemhow closed the gap between Camden and Oakland so that Camden might even be worse for hitters? From everything I've heard, and looking at home/road splits for players on both teams, it seems that Camden is a better hitters park.

I'm not seeing this very negative effect on BA. Most of their hitters are either the same at home as on the road, or much better at home for BA. The only stat that seems to be down in Camden is Runs scored. But Oakland is still worse at Runs scored according to the index.

Camden was 6th in BA+ in the park index, compared to Oakland's 13th. So I don't see how Tejada WON'T get better getting out of Oakland, especially considering the much better players he has around him now.

So I guess I'm just questioning how you can say Camden has a very negative effect on BA when it's the 6th best park in the majors for high BA.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Larry » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:17 pm

I drafted Teixeira in the fourteenth round today
Larry

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Larry » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:21 pm

I meant Tejeda... sorry
Larry

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jumpman8288 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:23 pm

How the *expletive deleted* did that happen?
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers