Draft advice for my first pick needed! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft advice for my first pick needed!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft advice for my first pick needed!

Postby piniella » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:34 pm

ok, pujols or soriano????
piniella

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby piniella » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:42 pm

everyone would go with pujols?
piniella

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:16 pm

I went w/ Soriano #2 last year and was disappointed in his K and his average AND his fielding as we were pretty stat-happy.

That being said, I got him this year too...nobody picked him until the 2nd round and I couldn't pass him up. It's really kind of a coin toss, there's tremendous dropoff at 2B and, if he hits for average, he should knock them out at Arlington w/o too much trouble and may put up the same kind of #s we'd come to expect from Pujols at 2B. W/ Steals. Might turn out to be a very good pickup.

The other thing I though of that might help make a case for Soriano over Pujols is that, if anything, the NL central has better pitching this year which may pose challenges to Pujols.

Overfocusing on people's performance last year, can be tricky. I have not read anything that suggests Soriano will do worse. Nobody says too much bad re Pujols and he's clearly an amazing player. How much do you value position scarcity and does that bump Soriano up enough for you?

The other thing is that you might get a run on IF/ 2B going which will leave somebody good (OF/ 1B?) on the board for you on the way back too...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:25 pm

One other odd thing from our league is that the 'local nutty wheeler/ dealer' traded his first 2 (#5) picks for the #1 and picked Pujols, w/ the intent (which he stated...) to swap Pujols to the #2 pick b/c #2 pick is a BIG Cards fan (has Pujols jersey, numerous hats, talks lots of smack re the cubs, etc...) and he ASSuMEd that #2 would be willing to swap Arod + somebody for his hero.

#2 has not done the deal in the couple of weeks since then which may prove 1) that he's not an idiot 2) that there's some kind of insider Cards skinny on Pujols. I don't really hang around trolling Cards boards but I am certain that #2 does. This is obviously a tremendous stretch of the imagination but you never know w/ stuff like this.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

1st DRAFT PICK

Postby keystonekop » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:47 pm

Everyone talks about PULJOUS,SORIANO,RODRIGUEZ as first picks. I know there are a lot of first baseman out there but one stands above the rest. TODD HELTON is the best hitter in the major leagues. He is consistant and plays in a hitter freindly park. He also came into camp in better shape this year so he could stay strong for the entire season. Look for numbers like .350ba 40hr 125rbi 110runs. If I were you I wouldn't worry to much if you don't get one of those players. If HELTON is available I'd grab him. I know he
does'nt steal bases but neither does PULJOUS!
HAVE A GREAT DAY AND BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!!!! ;-D
keystonekop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: 1st DRAFT PICK

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:53 pm

That's true! If the Padres hadn't walked Helton intentionally in his last AB in a 'meaningless' game, he would have caught Pujols for the batting title. Not quite as many HR though. I read that Helton had said he'd gained 20 lbs in the offseason 'eating cheeseburgers' but I'd have to hope he was pumping something. A stronger Helton is kind of a scary thought!!

keystonekop wrote:Everyone talks about PULJOUS,SORIANO,RODRIGUEZ as first picks. I know there are a lot of first baseman out there but one stands above the rest. TODD HELTON is the best hitter in the major leagues. He is consistant and plays in a hitter freindly park. He also came into camp in better shape this year so he could stay strong for the entire season. Look for numbers like .350ba 40hr 125rbi 110runs. If I were you I wouldn't worry to much if you don't get one of those players. If HELTON is available I'd grab him. I know he
does'nt steal bases but neither does PULJOUS!
HAVE A GREAT DAY AND BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!!!! ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby piniella » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:11 pm

it became a moot point. the guy with the first pick too pujols, so i was pleasantly surprised I could get Arod! ;-D
piniella

Return to Baseball Leftovers