Knapplc's Jerk Recipe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Knapplc's Jerk Recipe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Knapplc's Jerk Recipe

Postby Metroid » Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 am

Yeah that's a myth, the salt in a marinade works much the same way the salt in a or brine works. Neither dry out the meat, and in fact they it make it more moist. Here is the science behind brining. The high salt level in the brine effects the the structure of the muscle tissue, it makes it so the muscles cannot contract as much...the more the muscles contract the more tough the meat is. So if the muscles contract less then the meat is more tender. Also the salt also interacts with the proteins in the meat, I've read it called "osmosis", allowing the cells to absorb more water.

The problem you may be having with meat drying out in marinades has nothing to do with the salt and everything to do with any acids in your marinade. Acids effect the meats proteins too, it kind of "opens the meat up" to allow flavor to seep in. However if acids are left on meat too long they can actually cook the surface causing the meat to dry out.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

ayebatter wrote:
Yoda wrote:The thing about marinating meat is that you are not supposed to do it for a long time. 30 min is probably the longest you want to do marinate as you don't want to dry out the meat.

I've gotten complaints when I only left it in for 30 minutes. ;-)

That's when you fell asleep and she couldn't push you off?

Zing! :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 am

AussieDodger wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
Yoda wrote:The thing about marinating meat is that you are not supposed to do it for a long time. 30 min is probably the longest you want to do marinate as you don't want to dry out the meat.

I've gotten complaints when I only left it in for 30 minutes. ;-)

That's when you fell asleep and she couldn't push you off?

Zing! :-D

too easy, good effort though. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Yoda » Thu May 14, 2009 10:58 am

knapplc wrote:

I'm not sure where you're coming up with this. I've been marinating beef and chicken overnight for years, and it adds moisture and flavor, it doesn't remove it. I suppose if you caked your meat in salt it would dry it out, but that would take a while or you'd have to use a boatload of salt. For the most part you're not going to use enough salt or leave it on long enough (24 hours, tops) to pull juices out too much. Plus, since marinades have a liquid component, they typically add moisture, not remove it.

Of course when you marinade something it adds flavor but the salt dries out the meat. It's not my opinion. It's a fact.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 am

Yoda wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I'm not sure where you're coming up with this. I've been marinating beef and chicken overnight for years, and it adds moisture and flavor, it doesn't remove it. I suppose if you caked your meat in salt it would dry it out, but that would take a while or you'd have to use a boatload of salt. For the most part you're not going to use enough salt or leave it on long enough (24 hours, tops) to pull juices out too much. Plus, since marinades have a liquid component, they typically add moisture, not remove it.

Of course when you marinade something it adds flavor but the salt dries out the meat. It's not my opinion. It's a fact.

not all marinades have salt :-? in fact, i just made some delicious chicken kebabs for Mothers Day that i marinated overnight in EVOO, Fresh Lemon Juice, Garlic and Rosemary...they were :-L also had some Stew Beef done in EVOO, Balsamic and Rosemary that i let sit for just a few hours :-L
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm not sure where you're coming up with this. I've been marinating beef and chicken overnight for years, and it adds moisture and flavor, it doesn't remove it. I suppose if you caked your meat in salt it would dry it out, but that would take a while or you'd have to use a boatload of salt. For the most part you're not going to use enough salt or leave it on long enough (24 hours, tops) to pull juices out too much. Plus, since marinades have a liquid component, they typically add moisture, not remove it.

not all marinades have salt :-? in fact, i just made some delicious chicken kebabs for Mothers Day that i marinated overnight in EVOO, Fresh Lemon Juice, Garlic and Rosemary...they were :-L also had some Stew Beef done in EVOO, Balsamic and Rosemary that i let sit for just a few hours :-L

That's true... I was just generalizing all marinades. It also depends on how much salt you put in it but generally, you don't want to marinate anything over night.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 14, 2009 11:30 am

Yoda wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:

That's true... I was just generalizing all marinades. It also depends on how much salt you put in it but generally, you don't want to marinate anything over night.

FWIW i completely disagree with you. i'm curious where you're getting this information from
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

FWIW i completely disagree with you. i'm curious where you're getting this information from

From experience mostly. We cook a ton and rarely eat out.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

Yoda wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Actually no, it is not a fact, it is you misunderstanding the results you're getting. When you put a dry salt rub on meat yes it will dry it out, when you use salt in a marinade or brine it does the exact opposite and makes the meat more moist. This is not my opinion, it's science. Read my post above, and if you don't believe me do a quick Google search.

Again it's not salt that is drying out your meat in a marinade its any acids you've added.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Previous

Return to General Talk