WHIR -- Improve or Wait -- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

WHIR -- Improve or Wait -- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WHIR -- Improve or Wait -- WHIR

Postby theinflatinator91 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:06 am

What would you do if this was your team? It has been hot and I am in second place. I am still looking to upgrade my offense.

Berkman has been awful what would you do about him? Try to deal him for another struggling first baseman?

Third base try to upgrade or will Lowell return to 2007 form?

I have Corey Hart and Jayson Werth. I find them expendable now that Upton is hitting. I have been trying to make a package for an upgrade at OF over Justin Upton.

Hitting - R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, E, AVG, OBP, SLG, PA
C Bengie Molina
1B Lance Berkman
2B Brian Roberts
3B Mike Lowell
SS Hanley Ramírez
OF Jason Bay
OF Carlos Lee
OF Curtis Granderson
Util Aaron Hill
Util Justin Upton
BN Jayson Werth
BN Corey Hart
BN Alexei Ramírez (just traded Asdruble Cabrera and Rick Porcello for him)
BN Matt Wieters

Pitching - IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, H, ER, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9, QS
SP Justin Verlander
SP Jordan Zimmermann
SP Doug Davis (streaming spot - drop when Lackey comes back)
SP Yovani Gallardo
SP Roy Oswalt
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Frank Francisco
P Brian Wilson
P Ted Lilly
BN Kevin Millwood
BN Randy Johnson
DL John Lackey

What would you do to this team? Sit back and wait for the slow starts to start or trade them to improve total offense?

Leave a link and I will help - ;-D
theinflatinator91
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WHIR -- Improve or Wait -- WHIR

Postby Texican » Sun May 10, 2009 11:28 am

I would look to upgrade at 3B, but I wouldn't look desperate. I am not sure on Lowell. If you can package a deal for an upgrade there with someone, I would throw it out there.

I think Berkman will turn it around.
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 10, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks for the help on mine. Berkman won't hurt your team, at seasons end he will have put up his usual numbers, .300 AVG, 30 HR plus/minus three, coupled with about 100 RBI and near 90 R. So don't be too quick to trade him. I would shop him around a bit, but the only guy I would probably take in return would be Teixeira (of the struggling 1B, I'm assuming no one would trade Pujols, Cabrera, etc.). I don't see a lot of value in trading Berkman for a guy like Fielder or even Howard.

As far as improvement is concerned, I would be looking to upgrade at 3B by dealing Hart or Werth. Lowell could prove me quite wrong, but he is a heavy health risk, and most leagues aren't exactly bursting at the seems with WW 3B.

Your SP should be fine once Lackey is back. Other than that, I think you have a pretty solid roster here. Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby theinflatinator91 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 am

Texican wrote:I would look to upgrade at 3B, but I wouldn't look desperate.

ROC AllStars wrote:As far as improvement is concerned, I would be looking to upgrade at 3B by dealing Hart or Werth.

Who would you guys look to target? I tried for Youk but the guys is obsessed with him and was looking for Bay + Werth. Who would you try to target?

a few days ago this was proposed but i rejected it because i thought i was giving up a ton...

David Wright + Adam Jones

for

Corey Hart + Jayson Werth + Mike Lowell + Roy Oswalt + Ted Lilly

if i did this top FA pitchers are Kevin Slowey, Tim Wakefield, Brian Bannister, and Zach Duke...
theinflatinator91
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mayfijr » Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 am

I also have Berkman, so I can understand your frustrations with him. I think if I did anything it would be to try and package Lowell and possibly Werth or Hart for an upgrade at 3rd.
mayfijr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby TexArcher » Sun May 10, 2009 11:55 am

I would definitely be patient with Berkman -- he's been through extended slumps before and by year's end his numbers are always solid to excellent. The guy's only hit under .288 once as a full-time player (and that was still a respectable .278). He'll be fine.

I might trade to upgrade over Lowell if possible.
TexArcher
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hit Factory » Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 am

I would look to upgrade at 1st and 3rd. You have enough surplus players to upgrade at both positions. I would target Votto, Justin Mourneau, Adrian Gonzalez in particular.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=384352
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mbp49 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm

I think you have to hold on to Berkman, he is a buy low candidate, which means no one is going to give anything worth his real value right now. I do like going after Votto, if you can get him.

Advice?
viewtopic.php?t=384396
mbp49
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby caliendo » Mon May 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Definitely wait on Berkman, hes known for some slow starts. I would look to trade Lowell. I have him too and Im thinking about shopping him around.

Help me?

viewtopic.php?t=384446
caliendo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 am

I would upgrade at third base - Lowell's been on a tear, but he's got to fall back to Earth eventually. Although he's on pace to repeat his production from '06 and '07, keep in mind that he was younger back then and was batting in a much more powerful lineup than he is now. Try to sell high while you still can.

Also, I would keep Jayson Werth. He hits behind Ryan Howard and in front of Raul Ibanez in the Phillies order, and you can't have much better lineup protection. He'll be seeing great pitches all year, and if you don't believe me that having a great hitter in front of you helps your numbers, look at Andre Ethier's numbers with and without Manny setting the table for him. I like Werth a lot, this promises to be a career year for him. As for Corey Hart, I'd deal him in a second.

You're right that Lance Berkman has been brutal so far this year, but unless he's injured or something I can't see why he wouldn't turn it around (however long that may take). He has too much power potential to treat him lightly, however. I like your idea of trying to trade him for another struggling first baseman, but unlike most struggling first baseman at the moment, Berkman and Teixeira are really the only two I can think of that have monstrous potential, so it's probably best to hang on. If you're entertaining the idea of trading him for another struggling 1B, try to get Derrek Lee plus another guy for Berkman, although I'd still rather much have Berkman over a hurt, GIDP-hitting D.Lee.

I would trade Aaron Hill while he's hot. He's obviously a great player - his draft position/rookie production/production this year so far all support this, but he's clearly playing over his head, and already his production has started to slowly fall back to more realistic expectations. Looking at the extremely small sample size of previous years' production, he starts the year off hot and then cools down as the season progresses. Also, his numbers are further inflated by the fact that many of the players around him are also playing above their ability, specifically Marco Scutaro (who represents a huge amount of Hill's RBI total). Although it's certainly possible that Marco will stay hot and continue to allow Hill to send him home, it's even more likely that his numbers will start falling in line with his less-than-stellar career averages. I find it highly doubtful that he's finally put it all together at age 33. Long story short, sell Hill high. In fact, you might want to look into packing Berkman and Hill to trade for a good 1B upgrade, and then slot Jayson Werth in at Util.

Also, I can't tell if you meant to say that you wanted to package J.Upton into that trade? I hope you aren't trying to do that, since the kid is going to be huge this season.

Other than the things I mentioned above, I'd let the rest of it stick out and ride. You have a very good team, and if you don't fiddle around with it too much I think it'll produce nicely.

Hope this ramble helped, if you wouldn't mind returning the favor it'd be greatly appreciated viewtopic.php?f=29&t=384532
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team