Definition of a 'deep' or 'shallow' league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

Definition of a 'deep' or 'shallow' league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Definition of a 'deep' or 'shallow' league?

Postby tigercat » Sat May 09, 2009 2:52 pm

I play in 2 fantasy baseball leagues, and I use this site to get suggestions on who to pick up out of the pool. I have played Fantasy Baseball for several years, but never knew the answer to this question.

Both leagues have 21-man rosters and start 7 pitchers and 9 hitters. Sportsline is a 10-team HTH points league where I set a weekly lineup. The other is a Yahoo league, consisting of 12 teams and using 5X5 Rotisserie catogories in a HTH format. Changes in that league can be daily. Personally, I'm not real 'keen' on the daily changes, but you gotta play by the public league rules or customize in a private league.

Do either of these leagues constitute a deep league? Thanks in advance.
tigercat
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Definition of a 'deep' or 'shallow' league?

Postby daullaz » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

tigercat wrote:I play in 2 fantasy baseball leagues, and I use this site to get suggestions on who to pick up out of the pool. I have played Fantasy Baseball for several years, but never knew the answer to this question.

Both leagues have 21-man rosters and start 7 pitchers and 9 hitters. Sportsline is a 10-team HTH points league where I set a weekly lineup. The other is a Yahoo league, consisting of 12 teams and using 5X5 Rotisserie catogories in a HTH format. Changes in that league can be daily. Personally, I'm not real 'keen' on the daily changes, but you gotta play by the public league rules or customize in a private league.

Do either of these leagues constitute a deep league? Thanks in advance.

Great question. One of our writers is going to answer it in our Monday Mail Call tomorrow, so check the front page sometime tomorrow for his take. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby flloyd » Sun May 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, its a definition that based on a smooth gradient and not a binary yes or no answer so I don't think you're ever going to get a unanimously agreed upon answer. For old school NL or AL only fantasy managers I doubt they would ever consider any MLB league deep unless it had 20+ teams.

For me personally I would think that the best dividing line for a deep or shallow league is whether people have players on their active roster (i.e. not in their reserve slots) who are part time players in MLB.

I don't think either of your leagues would be considered deep by anyone. A team that shallow simply has too many good players available in free agent pool.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 am

Here's the link to the Monday Mail Call: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2009/tips_mailcall051109.php

flloyd wrote:For me personally I would think that the best dividing line for a deep or shallow league is whether people have players on their active roster (i.e. not in their reserve slots) who are part time players in MLB.

That's definitely a deep league.

My opinion is any league that is drafting over 450 players (60% of the league). For keeper leagues, holding a minor league draft moves it up a couple notches on the deep ladder.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions