What's Wrong with my Team??? (WHIR, b/c I'm desperate!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

What's Wrong with my Team??? (WHIR, b/c I'm desperate!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's Wrong with my Team??? (WHIR, b/c I'm desperate!)

Postby master_herm » Sat May 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm in a 12-team H2H mixed league and I'm in 10th place right now, 28 games out of first. However, if you look at the totals, I'm #1 in 7/8 offensive categories and around #5 or 6 in the pitchings cats, on average. I think I've just gotten unlucky matchups; I've made some moves since then. Is this a championship-caliber team?

C: Victor Martinez
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Asdrubel Cabrera
SS: Furcal
3B: Miguel Cabrera
OF: Soriano
OF: Cruz
OF: Ludwick
Util: BJ Upton
Util: Justin Upton
Util: JJ Hardy
Bench: Wieters
Bench: Juan Pierre

SP: Billingsley
SP: Garza
RP: Gregg
RP: Rafael Soriano
P: Street
P: Percival
P: Baker
Bench: Jurjjens
Bench: Hughes
DL: Carpenter
DL: Duscherer

Any advice on moves I should make? I recently traded Quentin and Galarraga for Ludwick and Billingsley which really helps out my pitching. Should I stand pat or look to make more moves?

Thanks! WHIR!
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's Wrong with my Team??? (WHIR, b/c I'm desperate!)

Postby master_herm » Sat May 09, 2009 3:27 pm

bump - help please!
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby slcdcricket » Sat May 09, 2009 4:00 pm

If you just traded for Billingsly, I'd sit on that and see what happens. Otherwise, if your pitching is still poor I'd check the waivers first. If you are dominated so many hitting categories why give it up to make pitching only marginally better? If its head to head and you always sweep the hitting you're guaranteed at least a tie.
slcdcricket
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reenum » Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Right now, you have several hitters underperforming. I think with Hardy, Upton, Cruz, Pierre and Wieters, you're banking an awful lot on potential. It might be time to trade a bit of that potential for someone who's steady and boring, but puts up stats.

You should be OK with pitching, having added Billingsley. Still, you need Garza and Baker to live up to their preseason expectations. I don't like Jurrjens and Carpenter at all.

I think you have a lot of tinkering left to do. You need players who will actually put up decent stats, rather than guys who you wait to put up good stats.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Sat May 09, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks for help with mine.

I agree with reenum.
I would put Pierre in over J Upton. Take SB category and Pierre's got a hot hand going now.
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby master_herm » Sun May 10, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks, that's sound advice. Which Upton were you referring to? Frankly, I don't like BJ but can't find anyone to take him. I am fine in steals so I don't need him at all.
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby livinginarizona » Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 am

master_herm wrote:Thanks, that's sound advice. Which Upton were you referring to? Frankly, I don't like BJ but can't find anyone to take him. I am fine in steals so I don't need him at all.

Put Pierre in place of Justin. He's in a BAD funk and the team is spiraling in the wrong direction (just fired their manager and promoted an exec to the head coach? 8-o )
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hit Factory » Mon May 11, 2009 11:32 am

I agree with the other poster who said that you should put Pierre in your starting lineup rather than B.J. Upton. That Billingsley trade you pulled off was awesome and will really help your team.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=384352
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby master_herm » Mon May 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Just traded A-Gon and BJ Upton for Ryan Howard, and picked up Brett Cecil (add him!). I'm much happier with my team now. Thanks guys.
master_herm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Tue May 12, 2009 3:59 pm

I don't know if the Ludwick move was the right one to make - Galaragga obviously wasn't that great, but Carlos Quentin has the makings to be an absolute monster, and very few Big Leaguers are capable of the power production this guy can put up. Ludwick has been posting decent numbers, but nothing near the huge production he opened up the season with. The drop-off is a bit concerning, especially considering the fact that he hits behind Albert Pujols, and his numbers just don't match up with the line-up protection he's getting. Although it seems like a minor thing, line-up protection given by batting in front or behind superstar offensive players make pitchers give these hitters better balls, and their production is often inflated - look at Andre Ethier's numbers with and without Manny Ramirez, same thing for Big Papi in Boston (although I strongly suspect cycling off of steroids played a huge role in Papi's decline - I hope I'm wrong, I love the guy). For having the table set for him by someone like Pujols, who is in the power prime of his career and will go down in history as one of the best hitters ever, Ludwick's numbers just aren't where I think they should be. Be careful with him, keep in mind he only has one season of great numbers behind his belt, and countless hitters have come and gone with one great season and nothing else the rest of their careers. TLR is also famous for micro-managing the hell out of his team, and Ludwick also suffers from this as La Russa often sits him against left-handers, so he'll randomly have his AB's cut game-to-game. I'm obviously not very big on Ludwick, but he clearly has the power to prove me totally wrong, which I hope he does for the sake of your team. If I were you, I would try shopping him while it's still early and while his early huge production still overshadows his lack of production more recently, but that's just my opinon.

Also, drop Phil Hughes. He's been shelled in two straight starts, and Cashman is ramping up Chien Ming Wang's recovery timetable to get him back in the rotation and send Hughes back to WSB. Phil probably has one or two starts left before he gets the boot, but I don't think it's worth it given how bad he's performed his last two trips out. There's a lot of young guys similar to Hughes lurking around a lot of waivers right now, with better production than he has had so far on this young season. The name Dallas Braden comes to mind - he has one of the best ERA's so far for how many innings he's pitched, and Oakland's ballpark is really generous to pitchers. He has the chance to be a stud, so I'd try to grab him to replace Hughes if he's still available.

I was about to make a few other suggestions, but it sounds like you've been able to sort most things out. Also, if you're leading in that many categories but have that bad of a standing, then it's definitely bad match-ups. Your pitching will only get better once Carpenter gets off the DL, but you should keep an eye on Huston Street and Percival. Percival's still recovering from back surgery and he's getting up there in years, and although he's been doing fine so far you never know when any number of things could start acting up with the guy. Huston Street suffers from plain not-goodness, and he has an incredibly short leash with Acta as his manager. If he starts getting shelled again, you may see him lose his role to Corpas. Again.

Other than that, it seems like you have a great team, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet - you should be raking in no time. Best of luck to you for the rest of the season, I really think that you'll be moving out of the basement very soon with the team you're fielding.

I hope that some of what I said is of some help to you. If you wouldn't mind helping me out with a question of my own, I'd greatly appreciate it - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=384532
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team