Ithaca, NY Has Its Own Currency??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ithaca, NY Has Its Own Currency???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ithaca, NY Has Its Own Currency???

Postby JTWood » Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 pm

http://www.ithacahours.com/

And they explain it to the masses with a comic strip:

:-S :-S :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ithaca, NY Has Its Own Currency???

Postby thedude » Sat May 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I am pretty sure this is unconstitutional. :-t

Art I, Section 8 wrote:The Congress shall have Power...To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin

Art I, Section 10 wrote:No State shall... grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I don't think it's unconstitutional for two reasons. 1. If this was then almost any form of bartering that didn't use the dollar would be. 2. Ithaca has been doing it a long time and is hardly the only one. There are a lot of places doing this.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat May 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't think it's unconstitutional for two reasons. 1. If this was then almost any form of bartering that didn't use the dollar would be. 2. Ithaca is hardly the only one. There are a lot of places doing this.

How does #2 make it not unconstitutional? Just because it's happening in other places doesn't determine whether it's legal or not, it just means no one has gone after it yet.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I edited that while you were quoting me. It has been going on for a long time. I am not expert on this topic. I really have no idea whether it is unconstitutional or not. But my hunch is that they would have been on it long before now if it was.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sat May 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Amazinz wrote:I edited that while you were quoting me. It has been going on for a long time. I am not expert on this topic. I really have no idea whether it is unconstitutional or not. But my hunch is that they would have been on it long before now if it was.

In order for them it to be declared unconstitutional somebody would have to sue because the courts can only decide cases before it. I am guess no one has brought suit against Ithaca yet, but a business that doesn't want to take the "hours" could probably saw that it has standing to sue and is being injured.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Not sure I understand? Businesses opt in. They're not required to take the Ithaca Hours. And the more I've read about this, I think that those Constitution quotes do not mean exactly what they would seem to mean at face value. Everything I can find points to alternative currencies being completely constitutional.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby thedude » Sat May 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:Not sure I understand? Businesses opt in.

But if a business does not want to opt in (like a big box retailer) and other competing businesses due that business could potentially lose revenue and therefore suffer an injury and be able to sue.

One of the predominant reasons for creating the Constitution was to standardize currency and promote commerce that is why those clauses were put into the Constitution. If you look at the intent of the framers it was quite clear what they were doing, outlawing any currency that wasn't the US Dollar.

The only defense the town can try to use is that currency they are passing is not a coin. But that was not the intent of the framers, who did not consider the possibility that the US would use anything but a coin as currency.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 6:09 pm

I've read it and it's not that clear. And I would add that yours is not the common interpretation. As long as you are not mimicking federal money you are OK. And the motives behind that section had more to do with preventing the debt erasing that was going on during that time period than anything else.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby JTWood » Sat May 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:I've read it and it's not that clear. And I would add that yours is not the common interpretation. As long as you are not mimicking federal money you are OK. And the motives behind that section had more to do with preventing the debt erasing that was going on during that time period than anything else.

Yeah, I think the Constitutional provisions have more to do with currencies recognized outside the States.

If Ithaca changes their rules and starts trying to buy stuff from Spain with their HOUR, I have a feeling the Feds will have issues with that.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk