Morneau or Pena Newbee needs help deciding - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Morneau or Pena Newbee needs help deciding

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Morneau or Pena Newbee needs help deciding

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:55 am

I currently have Palmiero and F Thomas as my starting 1B .. which was the best I could do draft day.. Now I am looking to add depth and perhaps a sleeper bat .. Both Morneau and C Pena are off to good starts this spring .. Which guy has a chance to really bust out this year, looking for a gem ??? Thanks to those who reply ..
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:23 pm

Morneau will likely start out in the minors while LeCroy DH's and Doug M. plays 1B. He will be the first option to take over should one of those two get hurt/not produce. But who knows when that will be. He hase massive upside, but it's his playing time that will hold him down for now.
Carlos Pena could be called a sleeper, but I wouldn't look for too much out of him. I'd say at the absolute best 25 HR's, but no more than a .250 or so BA. Tigers fans like myself will be cheering him on to succeed, but I think even the 25 HR's I mentioned may be a longshot if he doesn't get his act together.
I'd say look elsewhere for a sleeper or stash Morneau on your bench and hope for the best. Palmeiro and Thomas aren't that bad at all in the power categories, so I don't know if it's absolutely necessary for you to take one of these guys.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:17 pm

I couldn't agree more with the charging warrior dude. I'm from Minnesota, and there is NO WAY mgr. Gardy will have Justin M. in the majors unless he is seeing REGULAR at-bats. Thus, unless he tears the cover off the ball this spring and hits .750+, then he's bound for the minors, and probably will be there for most of the season. BTW, Gardy has refered to the only way Justin M. will make the squad out of spring training, is if he can get him regular at bats. Otherwise, he'll be headed to the minors, no matter how well he does in spring training.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:10 pm

i agree that morneau won't be starting in the bigs in the beginning of the year, but i still like him more then Pena. most people don't know about morneau though so you could pick him up if/when he gets called up. i'm just not a big fan of pena, he has showed much and he plays half his games in a pitchers park.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers