Aramis Ramirez goes down again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Aramis Ramirez goes down again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Aramis Ramirez goes down again

Postby Salty-Dog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 am

any news?

anyone else feel like he is just going to end up not playing the rest of the season? i can see him trying, but since he's such a fragile china doll, they'll shut him down for the season...
Salty-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Salty-Dog wrote:any news?

anyone else feel like he is just going to end up not playing the rest of the season? i can see him trying, but since he's such a fragile china doll, they'll shut him down for the season...

Well, the last Yahoo blurb (from a couple of days ago) said that Aramis and the team strongly shot down rumors that he was done for the year, and said they were on track for a return in the 1st or 2nd week of July.

Not sure I agree with that "fragile china doll" comment. The injury he got was one of those fluke things that could happen to anyone. From 2001 to 2008 he averaged 146 games and 609 plate appearances per season.

Sure teams lie and all about injuries, so who knows. But I think it would be foolish to give up on him at this point.

EDIT: Here's the Rotowire quote (from June 1):

Ramirez (shoulder) is aiming to rejoin the Cubs once play resumes after the All-Star break on July 16 - if everything in his rehab work goes according to plan - but offseason surgery remains a possibility, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. "I'm working to get the strength back and, hopefully, I won't need surgery," Ramirez said. "If at the end of the season, if it is still bothering me, then I'll have to do something."

Recommendation: There had been whispers over the weekend that Ramirez could be done for the season, but he shot down that speculation. "No, I'll be back on the field; I just don't know when," said Ramirez. "If everything goes like we plan, I should be OK for the first or second week of July." In the meantime Mike Fontenot will play third base in his place.

(Rotowire.co
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Salty-Dog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:03 pm

thanks schimdty - i'm gonna hold on to him i think, there is nothing out there that is good enough to drop him for as of now

i still get the feeling he will not do much more for fantasy or the cubs, but i hope i'm wrong

as for the china doll - just seems to me like he is always injured the last couple years - i'm curious to see how many games has he averaged the last 3 years
Salty-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtxdevil » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Salty-Dog wrote:thanks schimdty - i'm gonna hold on to him i think, there is nothing out there that is good enough to drop him for as of now

i still get the feeling he will not do much more for fantasy or the cubs, but i hope i'm wrong

as for the china doll - just seems to me like he is always injured the last couple years - i'm curious to see how many games has he averaged the last 3 years

Not too hard to do... Just go to his player page and do some arithmetic.

146 games/year his last 3.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby the izzy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Maybe I should post this in the Trade/Keeper/whatever forum, but it's a hypothetical situation. I have him on my DL. Let's say that he gets shut down for the year. The way my league works, if I keep him (keeper league), I forfeit a 4th rd pick (the rd I drafted him in). If I drop him, then whoever picks him up off Waivers or FA can keep him and they only have to forfeit their last pick (a round 23 draft pick).

In this situation, would you drop him, to help clear room on your own team, even though some other team is going to profit huge? Or do you hold him just to keep other teams from grabbing him? His trade value would be almost zero, as anybody that traded for him would have to use a 4th rd pick to keep him.

It's a stupid system IMO, but it's the way this league is set up.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Salty-Dog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 am

mtxdevil wrote:
Salty-Dog wrote:thanks schimdty - i'm gonna hold on to him i think, there is nothing out there that is good enough to drop him for as of now

Not too hard to do... Just go to his player page and do some arithmetic.

146 games/year his last 3.

yes, thank you I'm aware of how to do it - as I wrote that I had not yet looked it up - wiseass
Salty-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nolanwood » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 am

Third baseman Aramis Ramirez, who may be out for at least another month with a dislocated left shoulder, reportedly will begin "baseball activities" this weekend in Cincinnati. Ramirez hurt himself diving for a groundball in Milwaukee on May 8.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=298593&src=152
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 pm

For those of your trying to keep your eyes on this ... the scheduled "baseball activities" went as planned. He started swinging a bat and taking grounders. Still on target for a return around the ASB.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stcardinal » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 pm

That's certainly good news. The Cubs seem to be really struggling without him.
stcardinal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 pm

i love how a player is your best friend until he slumps for a week or 2 or gets injured, then hes the worst most injury prone player in the league... get over the fact that aramis made play that any player would make for his REAL life team, and sadly because he sacrificed his body to make a dive for a grounder he ends up with a freak injury, get over it...

hes one of the most consistent 3B in the league, if your looking on the low end look for 25 hr and 90 rbi, but will most likely be pleasantly surprised with 25-30 and 100 rbi, he hits for a good average hovering around .285-.300+ and like previously stated has averaged 145+ games in 8 seasons, 146 in the last three seasons, and in 8 full seasons has totaled under 140 games in one year only twice... also its the little things that aram does that boosts your team more then most 3B, 1 year in 8 of 100 or more Ks, with 3 others in the 90s otherwise but look at the other 5 where he didn't touch 70 strikeouts... consistently with 30+ doubles, oh and since 2001 his first season hes batted under .270 for a season once and over .290 or better 5 times, not to mention he started out this year at .364...

needless to say they are saying he will be back after the ASB and i think he has shown over the past 8 seasons that he is worth hanging out to and counting on for the 2nd half...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates