Veto power debate... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Veto power debate...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby frog99 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:52 pm

why do you think democratic veto powers were added to fantasy games?

reason 1 is obviously collusion

but reason 2 is to protect the competitive balance of the league. i don't considerate just cheating one owner when one sided trades are made, i consider cheating every member of the league.

and i certainly don't play with rookies just to rip them off, I let them play so they can become better.
Last edited by frog99 on Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:01 pm

but reason 2 is to protect the competitive balance of the league. i don't considerate just cheating one owner when one sided trades are made, i considerate cheating every member of the league.

Exactly, which is the point that those who think there is only one reason fail to recognize. They ignorantly dismiss it as pure jealousy and inferior management in all cases. Of course occasionally vetoes are made because of pure jealousy and poor management, but none that I am a part of.

My philosophy is that if you want to play in a league where no vetoes are allowed, be my guest. It's not my cup of tea, and I'd never do it, but if you're comfortable with it, more power to you. I'd much rather play in a league where there's some security measure against the kind of things that can ruin a league.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:08 pm

I agree with you 100% CMB. I hate the "lets see who can bend over the chump first" type leagues.

You sure you don't want to play in my league? I'm tired of people whining when I veto their Juan Pierre for Encarnacion trade. I could use some people who think more like me.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Arlo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:25 pm

bleach168 wrote:I agree with you 100% CMB. I hate the "lets see who can bend over the chump first" type leagues.

One of my leagues has found a compromise that has worked very well: when somebody new to the game enters the league, that person is protected by the other owners from making trades that look like mistakes. Veteran owners, on the other hand, are essentially free to make any trades and take any risks they want, without interference. So far, it's been the best of both worlds... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:40 pm

You're lucky Arlo. In the leagues I play in, the rookies/chumps outnumber the veterans 3 to 1.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Hey Bleach, I think you sent me a PM concerning your leagues a while ago. I may join one of the 5x5 rotos, if there's still spots. I have so many teams already though. I'll do it if I can make the draft.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:55 pm

Oh crap. I remember now that your reason for turning me down was because the draft is on the 29th and you wouldn't be able to make it.

Sorry for wasting your time... TWICE. God I can be so stupid sometimes :-)
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers