Who closes if Mo goes down???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who closes if Mo goes down????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who closes if Mo goes down????

Postby SAKIC_19 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:27 am

Who closes if Rivera goes down. Apparently, he is suffering from problems with the surgically repaired shoulder causing a drop in velocity. Not good if you ask me. Wondering who takes over given Bruney and Marte are on the DL. Maybe Joba????
SAKIC_19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who closes if Mo goes down????

Postby Skimo77 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure Mo will be the closer until his arm literally falls off of his body... he' s a hall of famer who i'm sure will turn it around, and if not he still doesnt have to worry cuz that bullpin is sooooooooooooooooo thin right now. I wouldn't push the panic button, he'll turn it around, he always does.... but it is a little disconcerting because he is turning into a relic... Mo the Ancient One.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby AdvRider » Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 pm

SAKIC_19 wrote:Maybe Joba????

My thought exactly. I watched Rivera give up those HRs to Crawford and Longoria last nite to lose the game and it wasn't pretty. Still,the only way Mo loses the job at least in the near-term is if he goes on the DL ... and that's not on the radar screen right now, I don't think.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby dc928 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 pm

I would think Joba should take over the closer role but the problem is, then they lost a starter. I am not sure they are ready to hand Wang his job back yet.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri May 08, 2009 8:27 pm

There is not a shot in hell, Joba will be moved to the bullpen this year.

I am a Yankee fan and follow the organization he is staying put.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mac-unit » Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:There is not a shot in hell, Joba will be moved to the bullpen this year.

If Mo goes down for the season before the all star break they would definitely consider moving him into the closer spot if Wang comes back and performs. It wouldn't be right away but after a week or 2 of the rest of the relievers losing game after game in the 9th inning Girardi would probably make the change to try and save his job.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 pm

mac-unit wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:There is not a shot in hell, Joba will be moved to the bullpen this year.

If Mo goes down for the season before the all star break they would definitely consider moving him into the closer spot if Wang comes back and performs. It wouldn't be right away but after a week or 2 of the rest of the relievers losing game after game in the 9th inning Girardi would probably make the change to try and save his job.

I doubt it. There's too much invested in Joba as a starter at this point; he's there to stay. If Mo goes down for the year (unlikely from this current injury, since his accuracy is right on, so he probably just has a dead arm), the Yankees will make a trade. Count on it.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat May 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Any other candidates to close besides Joba or by trade? If they trade for someone, who do y'all think they'd get? Eric freakin' Gagne?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 pm

mac-unit wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:There is not a shot in hell, Joba will be moved to the bullpen this year.I am a Yankee fan and follow the organization he is staying put.
I am sorry but you are completely wrong. Joba is on a 160 innings limit this year. The goal is to have him complete 160 innings so he can pitch at least 200 innings in 2010. Phil Hughes is on a stricter inning limits because he has missed significant time for the past two years. If Joba goes to the bull pen he fails to reach 160 innings and then next year you have CC AJ Wang, and then ? and then ?Joba HAS to reach 160 innings so he can fill the fourth spot and Phil Hughes needs to stay in the minors to develp a Changeup to compliment his FB Curve and below average cutter. Most important Hughes has to build innings to last 200 innings as well.Thanks for quoting me and trying to refute my statement, but you couldn't be more wrong  :-)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CharlatanSin » Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Any other candidates to close besides Joba or by trade? If they trade for someone, who do y'all think they'd get? Eric freakin' Gagne?

They might bring Melancon back up and let him have a crack at it.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates