Wandy Rod - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wandy Rod

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wandy Rod

Postby Ender » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 pm

He was probably someone to sell high on, not because of a lack of talent but because of health concerns. Anytime you can sell a pitcher who was hurt the year before I think you go for it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carnac » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Wandy's career stats for April= 2.70 ERA, 1.11 WHIP. After April he is in the mid 4 to 5 in ERA and somewhere around 1.4-1.5 WHIP. These are his career stats. He is a fast starter and regresses almost every year, with a couple exceptions. Pointed this out on another post about a month ago.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby battles » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Started Wandy and Verlander last night. Ouch
battles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 pm

i think when he started the season hot he was overrated and everyone was expecting him to continue that way. my expectations for him this season were to be a good pitcher at home. if you only start him at home he is a very valuable pitcher.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Note those home/away splits over the last three years. Start him at home and wait until he strings together another bunch of solid starts before starting him every day.

I don't think you'll have much luck trying to move him. Ride it out. Don't drop him. He's still a solid 4-5 starter.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bologna_sandwich » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 am

I've had it w/ him. He's way to inconsistent for me.
I dropped him and picked up Kazmir...let someone else deal w/ the home/away nonsense.
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am

With him and RJ i'm getting behind in innings.

RJ
Code: Select all
        G    GS    W    L    IP    H    R    ER    HR    BB    K    ERA    WHIP  BAA   
Home     7   7    5    2   41.0   35   18   18     6    4    43    3.95   0.95   .230   
Away     6   6    1    3   29.0   34   21   20     6    21    21   6.21   1.90   .293   
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Carnac wrote:Wandy's career stats for April= 2.70 ERA, 1.11 WHIP. After April he is in the mid 4 to 5 in ERA and somewhere around 1.4-1.5 WHIP. These are his career stats. He is a fast starter and regresses almost every year, with a couple exceptions. Pointed this out on another post about a month ago.

Last year 3.48 ERA, 1.28 WHIP pre-break, 3.61 /1.35 post-break. Not that different. In fact if you look last year he alternated good and bad months the whole season. And if you look overall he got progressively better for the whole season each of the last 3 years in a lot of categories, suggesting his career averages really aren't a good judge of what he'd do this year since they displayed a steady progression toward getting better. When you take an average of data steadily trending in one direction you don't really get an accurate assessment of what to expect now. He had ERA's under 4 the last 2 years. Do you think the fact he had ERAs over 5 his first 2 years are useful in projecting expectations at this point? I sure don't, which is why I think in this case career averages are a poor measure to go by. Now if you want to argue he could end up somewhere in the range of the average of the last 2 seasons, I'm not going to argue about that, because that could turn out to be right.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yossarian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 pm

bologna_sandwich wrote:I've had it w/ him. He's way to inconsistent for me.
I dropped him and picked up Kazmir...let someone else deal w/ the home/away nonsense.

Heh. That's a bit like going from the kettle to the fire, isn't it?
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 pm

yossarian wrote:
bologna_sandwich wrote:I've had it w/ him. He's way to inconsistent for me.

Heh. That's a bit like going from the kettle to the fire, isn't it?

Haha, I agree. Pot, kettle, black.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers