Magglio Ordonez- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:37 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
The G-Man wrote:Magglio has been a defensive liability in right field for years. This year he has especially been bad. Now add the fact that he has lost his power. If you're going to pay a guy $19 million a year, he better be hitting well over 300.

Between that and the other salries the Tigers must eat (Dontrelle Willis and others), I can see the Tigers are looking for a way to save the millions they may have to pay Ordonez for 2 more unproductive years.

He was a plus defender in 2007 and he is pretty much avg in UZR right now.

He really isn't a good defender.

Question? If he is traded, doesn't his option become null? Similiar to the Manny Option?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 pm

stcardinal wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:So did Leyland sell Ordonez out for a contract extension? The timing seems to be a little bit too much of a coincidence.

According to Leyland it isn't. But I'm pretty sure a part of it is.

Leyland is cracking me up right now with his I dont know when he is going to play again even though I am the manager talk. Why don't they make it more obvious. Everyone knows the best way to jump start a player is to sit him out for excessively long time periods.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The G-Man » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:29 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
The G-Man wrote:Magglio has been a defensive liability in right field for years. This year he has especially been bad. Now add the fact that he has lost his power. If you're going to pay a guy $19 million a year, he better be hitting well over 300.

Between that and the other salries the Tigers must eat (Dontrelle Willis and others), I can see the Tigers are looking for a way to save the millions they may have to pay Ordonez for 2 more unproductive years.

I know he is not the fastest, but when you watch him play everyday and you watch him not hustle for anything near him, it is like he is tring to avoid getting hurt just so he can make his stats and his money. Too many easy balls drop in front of him and he misplays many over his head.

As you said though, his stats are average at best when the ball is hit right to him.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 pm

The G-Man wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

I know he is not the fastest, but when you watch him play everyday and you watch him not hustle for anything near him, it is like he is tring to avoid getting hurt just so he can make his stats and his money. Too many easy balls drop in front of him and he misplays many over his head.

As you said though, his stats are average at best when the ball is hit right to him.

I am saying he is averagish all-around this year in spite of those things.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The G-Man » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

One last stat, but on the offensive side. There are at least 14 leadoff hitters with more RBI's than Magglio. He needs to sit.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RawTalent » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:47 pm

The G-Man wrote:One last stat, but on the offensive side. There are at least 14 leadoff hitters with more RBI's than Magglio. He needs to sit.

Well, he's supposed to play tonight:

Ordonez will return to the lineup for Tuesday's tilt against the Cubs, the Detroit News reports.
Recommendation: He'll bat in the seven hole while manning right field. Mags was benched for four games as manager Jim Leyland tried to shake the slugger out of a season-long power outage. Leyland has stated that Ordonez will not be yanked from the lineup after one bad performance, so look for him to get plenty of playing time in the short term.
(Rotowire.com)
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The G-Man » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:24 pm

RawTalent wrote:
The G-Man wrote:One last stat, but on the offensive side. There are at least 14 leadoff hitters with more RBI's than Magglio. He needs to sit.

Well, he's supposed to play tonight:

Ordonez will return to the lineup for Tuesday's tilt against the Cubs, the Detroit News reports.
Recommendation: He'll bat in the seven hole while manning right field. Mags was benched for four games as manager Jim Leyland tried to shake the slugger out of a season-long power outage. Leyland has stated that Ordonez will not be yanked from the lineup after one bad performance, so look for him to get plenty of playing time in the short term.
(Rotowire.com)

Here's hoping he can find his way back to his number 3 spot in the batting order!
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:04 pm

RawTalent wrote:Leyland has stated that Ordonez will not be yanked from the lineup after one bad performance, so look for him to get plenty of playing time in the short term.
(Rotowire.com)

So much for that. Apparently he does not like his matchup vs a pitcher he has never faced that has a career mlb era over 6. I'd love to hear Boras' take on that one.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The G-Man » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
RawTalent wrote:Leyland has stated that Ordonez will not be yanked from the lineup after one bad performance, so look for him to get plenty of playing time in the short term.
(Rotowire.com)

So much for that. Apparently he does not like his matchup vs a pitcher he has never faced that has a career mlb era over 6. I'd love to hear Boras' take on that one.

Ordonez has played 4 straight since his rest and is 3 for 14 in that time. He is getting every chance to break out of his slump , but still not showing anything. Meanwhile the guy who pinch hits for Ordonez gets a game winning walk off home run this week.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I was just offered Magglio for my David Weathers (we count HOLDS). And am considering rejecting the deal. 8-o

Times sure can change fast, huh?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates