Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 am

schmidty wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
schmidty wrote:
Considering many of us are considering dropping Maggs from our "virtual" teams, and all we care about is on-field production, I think the team's position is extremely defensible. It's not like Maggs had a 3 HR game or anything. He had one freakin' single, which happened to come with a man on base. When that qualifies as a statement game, you know a guy really sucks.

Anyway, I'm done with Maggs this year. Dropped him (for Aubrey Huff) in one league and traded him over the weekend (along with Edwin Jackson for Nick Markakis) in another. I am officially Maggs-free. Which probably means - let the comeback begin :-b

If there were 30 teams in your league and your other option was rayburn would you be dropping him? The RBI was a sac fly.

A sac fly! Well, that certainly changes things :-b

Ordonez's performance this year has been well below replacement level for an outfielder. A 0.690 OPS doesn't cut it. Even hitting 0.225, Rayburn's is higher. At a certain point (which I think the Tigers have reached), I see the logic in a team wanting to give at-bats to a hitter in his 20s and see what he can do. Yeah, Rayburn's probably not the future ... he's had chances and doesn't seem to be more than a fringe mlb hitter at best. But other guys could get more pt too. And its not like they even have to cut him (like fantasy teams are doing). They can bench him or demote him. What would be suspicious is if Maggs was playing well, the Tigers were out of contention, and then he started losing his playing time. But from strictly a "winning ballgames" mentality (present and future), I think the Tigers are making the right call. He should get at bats to prove himself again at some point.

plus Maglio is awful defensively
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby as834625 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:55 am

Oh boy, just offered Magglio for Chris Davis in a hopeful straight swap of two disastrous under-achievers :-P
as834625
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:13 pm

I never said Ordonez was playing good or anything. Just not terrible enough to completely give up on his track record with little of substance to plug in instead. He obviously will not be worth the money but that is a different issue. I was mainly pointing out how the fantasy team analogy had pretty much no reference. I also think the numbers don't exactly support him being terrible defensively.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm

walkoffblast wrote:I never said Ordonez was playing good or anything. Just not terrible enough to completely give up on his track record with little of substance to plug in instead. He obviously will not be worth the money but that is a different issue. I was mainly pointing out how the fantasy team analogy had pretty much no reference. I also think the numbers don't exactly support him being terrible defensively.

have you ever watched him play D...he's awful. he may have a good fielding % and few errors, but that's because he can only catch a ball that is hit right to him. good defenders will try to make running/diving catches which might result in errors if they dont make the play...Singlio just lets them fall in for hits
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:I never said Ordonez was playing good or anything. Just not terrible enough to completely give up on his track record with little of substance to plug in instead. He obviously will not be worth the money but that is a different issue. I was mainly pointing out how the fantasy team analogy had pretty much no reference. I also think the numbers don't exactly support him being terrible defensively.

have you ever watched him play D...he's awful. he may have a good fielding % and few errors, but that's because he can only catch a ball that is hit right to him. good defenders will try to make running/diving catches which might result in errors if they dont make the play...Singlio just lets them fall in for hits

I did not realize you were a scout. Lets just say we prefer to measure defense in different ways. He is not a plus fielder that much we can agree on.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 pm

So did Leyland sell Ordonez out for a contract extension? The timing seems to be a little bit too much of a coincidence.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The G-Man » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Magglio has been a defensive liability in right field for years. This year he has especially been bad. Now add the fact that he has lost his power. If you're going to pay a guy $19 million a year, he better be hitting well over 300.

Between that and the other salries the Tigers must eat (Dontrelle Willis and others), I can see the Tigers are looking for a way to save the millions they may have to pay Ordonez for 2 more unproductive years.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:59 pm

The Tigers really have some awful contracts. Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, Magglio, Guillen.

They seem to be cleaning house with Placido, Bonderman and Magglio gone.

Clears up 20+ million to start reinvesting into more healthier pieces to build around Verlander, Curtis, and Miggy the savage.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:10 am

The G-Man wrote:Magglio has been a defensive liability in right field for years. This year he has especially been bad. Now add the fact that he has lost his power. If you're going to pay a guy $19 million a year, he better be hitting well over 300.

Between that and the other salries the Tigers must eat (Dontrelle Willis and others), I can see the Tigers are looking for a way to save the millions they may have to pay Ordonez for 2 more unproductive years.

He was a plus defender in 2007 and he is pretty much avg in UZR right now.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stcardinal » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:41 am

walkoffblast wrote:So did Leyland sell Ordonez out for a contract extension? The timing seems to be a little bit too much of a coincidence.

According to Leyland it isn't. But I'm pretty sure a part of it is.
stcardinal
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates