Magglio Ordonez- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Magglio Ordonez- WHIR

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Its still the same story as before. If you drafted him to hit for power then it simply is not going to happen and that was predictable to an extent. Otherwise over the last month he has 15 runs 9 rbi and .323 avg. Shallow leagues with shallow rosters can probably do better but otherwise I would keep him.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:05 pm

wildbill wrote:Isn't he old in baseball terms? Some players just hit a brick wall and decline rapidly instead of slowly fading away. Maybe he's just one of those that rapidly declines. I know I've read (well skimmed) a few articles that talked about Maggs, which seemed to imply they believe its a case of diminished skills.

Well, "the wall" can hit any player, regardless of their quality and consistency, on the wrong side of 30. And yeah, that's my concern too ... that Maggs has hit it. Early on, I was skeptical (or maybe "self-deluded" is more accurate :-B ) of the reports of Maggs decline. A few writers made a big point of Maggs big decline from 2007 to 2008. But I thought of Maggs 2007 season as an outlier. If you toss that out, Maggs has been pretty consistent (on a per-game basis) since turning 30.

But this season has been awfully disheartening, especially since Maggs was drafted for his consistency. Thinking like: I'll take the "money" 80/20/100/0.300 line for my OF spot now, instead of being stuck with later round gambles in my starting lineup.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:58 pm

He may get closer to those numbers than you think. He will come up short in HR (I could still see him getting to 15) and RBI (may only get around 80 which is more surprising and therefore annoying than the power outage).
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kearney » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Jim Leyland has benched Magglio Ordonez indefinitely.
Leyland wants to get Ordonez "away from it." The manager is clearly frustrated with the slugger's play this season, and we can't blame him. He's has just two home runs and owns a pedestrian .273/.347/.343 line. We can't imagine the benching will be too long, but it may last for more than just a game or two. Stay tuned. Ryan Raburn will likely take his spot in right. Jun. 18 - 6:19 pm et
Source: Detroit News
kearney
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby as834625 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:55 pm

this probably is directly related to his contract situation .. im not positive of the exact figure.. but if he reaches a certain number of plate appearances, an $18 million option for next season will automatically lock in. NO WAY the tigers will let him get that $18 after showing this kind of decline!

As a magglio owner.. i feel just as "screwed" as all of you- but it seems more and more likely that he is in line for a 65-8-55-3-.275 season .. oh boy

drop him now ?
as834625
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stcardinal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 pm

It's tough, I'm not sure if I should drop him but he really is the odd man out on my team. I guess it's a wait and see. Recently he'd been hitting.
stcardinal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Yeah, this is all about his contract. The situation could get ugly especially since most of what they are saying is odd timing. When was last time a manager got fed up with a players performance after they went 1-3 with an RBI.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 pm

walkoffblast wrote:Yeah, this is all about his contract. The situation could get ugly especially since most of what they are saying is odd timing. When was last time a manager got fed up with a players performance after they went 1-3 with an RBI.

Considering many of us are considering dropping Maggs from our "virtual" teams, and all we care about is on-field production, I think the team's position is extremely defensible. It's not like Maggs had a 3 HR game or anything. He had one freakin' single, which happened to come with a man on base. When that qualifies as a statement game, you know a guy really sucks.

Anyway, I'm done with Maggs this year. Dropped him (for Aubrey Huff) in one league and traded him over the weekend (along with Edwin Jackson for Nick Markakis) in another. I am officially Maggs-free. Which probably means - let the comeback begin :-b
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 pm

schmidty wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:Yeah, this is all about his contract. The situation could get ugly especially since most of what they are saying is odd timing. When was last time a manager got fed up with a players performance after they went 1-3 with an RBI.

Considering many of us are considering dropping Maggs from our "virtual" teams, and all we care about is on-field production, I think the team's position is extremely defensible. It's not like Maggs had a 3 HR game or anything. He had one freakin' single, which happened to come with a man on base. When that qualifies as a statement game, you know a guy really sucks.

Anyway, I'm done with Maggs this year. Dropped him (for Aubrey Huff) in one league and traded him over the weekend (along with Edwin Jackson for Nick Markakis) in another. I am officially Maggs-free. Which probably means - let the comeback begin :-b

If there were 30 teams in your league and your other option was rayburn would you be dropping him? The RBI was a sac fly.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:29 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
schmidty wrote:

If there were 30 teams in your league and your other option was rayburn would you be dropping him? The RBI was a sac fly.

A sac fly! Well, that certainly changes things :-b

Ordonez's performance this year has been well below replacement level for an outfielder. A 0.690 OPS doesn't cut it. Even hitting 0.225, Rayburn's is higher. At a certain point (which I think the Tigers have reached), I see the logic in a team wanting to give at-bats to a hitter in his 20s and see what he can do. Yeah, Rayburn's probably not the future ... he's had chances and doesn't seem to be more than a fringe mlb hitter at best. But other guys could get more pt too. And its not like they even have to cut him (like fantasy teams are doing). They can bench him or demote him. What would be suspicious is if Maggs was playing well, the Tigers were out of contention, and then he started losing his playing time. But from strictly a "winning ballgames" mentality (present and future), I think the Tigers are making the right call. He should get at bats to prove himself again at some point.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates