Tim Lincecum
B.J. Upton

for

Jake Peavy
Milton Bradley
Matt Capps

It's a 12 Team Roto
6x6 (plus OPS and L)

There is a little bit of skepticism about a possible conspiracy in the league. The entire league is made up of 10 college students who are away, 1 high school student and 1 teacher. The two teams making the trade are the student and the teacher. Another thing, that will probably prevent this from going through at all is that the teacher agreed to pay for the students team in the beginnining ($50). It's a long story, but one of our guys dropped out of the league literally an hour before the draft and we had to scramble to find someone. There's obviously some conflict of interest there.

The team that would be getting Tim Lincecum already has a strong pitching staff with Johan Santana and Carlos Zambrano (DL) and has one of the stronger OF in the league with Manny Ramirez, Adam Jones, and J.D. Drew with David Ortiz on the bench. This trade did come before the news of Manny Ramirez. I'm really on the fence about this one. Obviously its clear as day that the guy getting Lincecum and Upton is getting the better part of the deal. Tell me what you think I should do.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vetoable? Help me out.

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri May 08, 2009 12:54 am

javens wrote:Trade would be:
Tim Lincecum
B.J. Upton

for

Jake Peavy
Milton Bradley
Matt Capps

It's a 12 Team Roto
6x6 (plus OPS and L)

There is a little bit of skepticism about a possible conspiracy in the league. The entire league is made up of 10 college students who are away, 1 high school student and 1 teacher. The two teams making the trade are the student and the teacher. Another thing, that will probably prevent this from going through at all is that the teacher agreed to pay for the students team in the beginnining ($50). It's a long story, but one of our guys dropped out of the league literally an hour before the draft and we had to scramble to find someone. There's obviously some conflict of interest there.

The team that would be getting Tim Lincecum already has a strong pitching staff with Johan Santana and Carlos Zambrano (DL) and has one of the stronger OF in the league with Manny Ramirez, Adam Jones, and J.D. Drew with David Ortiz on the bench. This trade did come before the news of Manny Ramirez. I'm really on the fence about this one. Obviously its clear as day that the guy getting Lincecum and Upton is getting the better part of the deal. Tell me what you think I should do.

I don't see how this is remotely vetoable unless you are convinced that an owner is cheating. You allowed the guy to pay for the other team, and unless you are banning them from trading at all you cant stop this deal.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
javens wrote:Trade would be:
Tim Lincecum
B.J. Upton

for

Jake Peavy
Milton Bradley
Matt Capps

It's a 12 Team Roto
6x6 (plus OPS and L)

I don't see how this is remotely vetoable unless you are convinced that an owner is cheating. You allowed the guy to pay for the other team, and unless you are banning them from trading at all you cant stop this deal.

this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mrmet » Sun May 10, 2009 1:45 pm

I dont think its Vetoeable. May favor one side a little more. Not a comish veto for sure!
Mrmet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tuna411 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:01 am

Mrmet wrote: Not a comish veto for sure!

This phrase made me burst out laughing. How do you people play in leagues with veto's let alone play in leagues where one DICKtator holds the power to disallow trades?
tuna411
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RDD15 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:13 am

tuna411 wrote:

This phrase made me burst out laughing. How do you people play in leagues with veto's let alone play in leagues where one DICKtator holds the power to disallow trades?

Perhaps the reason for a commish veto rule is because the league had a history of voting to veto almost every single trade made, so a commish veto system was put in place with a commish that is opposed to vetoing except in the most lopsided of deals. I have a league that is headed that direction.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby tuna411 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 am

RDD15 wrote:
tuna411 wrote:

Perhaps the reason for a commish veto rule is because the league had a history of voting to veto almost every single trade made, so a commish veto system was put in place with a commish that is opposed to vetoing except in the most lopsided of deals. I have a league that is headed that direction.

At the auction two owners get in a bidding war for mike lowell. 20, 21, 22, and it keeps going all the way up to 36.

Do you stop the auction and say "hey, that is 20 units too much for him, you are screwing up the auction, we have to re-do mike lowell and this time, there is a max bid of 15."

The high bidding is causing an unfair situation for the purchasing team, no? He is obviously not going to be able to field a competitive team if he is spending 15% of his budget on mike lowell.

Let the owners play. Their strategy is probably different than yours and it is what makes this game fun.
tuna411
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RDD15 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:07 am

tuna411 wrote:
RDD15 wrote:
tuna411 wrote:

At the auction two owners get in a bidding war for mike lowell. 20, 21, 22, and it keeps going all the way up to 36.

Do you stop the auction and say "hey, that is 20 units too much for him, you are screwing up the auction, we have to re-do mike lowell and this time, there is a max bid of 15."

The high bidding is causing an unfair situation for the purchasing team, no? He is obviously not going to be able to field a competitive team if he is spending 15% of his budget on mike lowell.

Let the owners play. Their strategy is probably different than yours and it is what makes this game fun.

In most cases I agree Tuna. But there are also cases in which a veto DOES apply. See my post a couple down from this one. With one guy in "I dont care, I am gonna help out my buddy" mode, the trade is vetoable.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby eneric » Wed May 20, 2009 12:22 pm

How can you even think this is unfair!!?? How do you rationalize this giving one team an advantage?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Return to Commissioner's Corner