A's closer situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's closer situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A's closer situation

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 pm

Anyone think Andrew Bailey has a shot at the job? Ziegler isn't looking incredible, and Castilla is probably the default guy but not very exciting. I just added him, and he'll be ok even without saves, but could be a big steal if he gets a chance to close. He isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, but like lots of RP prospects, he never had a ton of hype around him.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A's closer situation

Postby threelions » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm

wishful thinking... :-b :-b :-b
he has more chance moving into the rotation.
12-team h2h 5X5 non-keeper
J.Montero,Pujols,Craig,Plouffe,Middlebrooks,TROUT,Gordon,Ethier,Butler
KingFelix,Cain,Price,McCarthy,Lewis,Hansen
Myers,Nathan,Casilla,Romo
threelions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:Anyone think Andrew Bailey has a shot at the job? Ziegler isn't looking incredible, and Castilla is probably the default guy but not very exciting. I just added him, and he'll be ok even without saves, but could be a big steal if he gets a chance to close. He isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, but like lots of RP prospects, he never had a ton of hype around him.

all of them are holding the job for Henry Rodriguez anyway.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby B-Chad » Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 pm

He may get a chance to rack up some saves, but in all honesty, I hate to disagree, but he kind of did come out of nowhere and I'm actually waiting for the other foot to drop. Other than 8 IP in AAA two years ago, his only appearance above A+ was last year in AA and very unimpressive (4.32 ERA 1.40 WHIP and 4.6 BB/9). Consider me very skeptical about Bailey, and a believer that once advance scouting gets to work, he'll be in a world of trouble. I really don't like the A's pen at all as Cassilla has been inconsistant/injured quite often, Ziegler is quirky and though effective now, usually guys with quirky deliveries get rocked once the novelty wears off and hitters start picking up the baseball. To be honest, the guy I like the most in the pen is Michael Wuertz, and that's not a statement to his skills, but more indicative of what I think of the rest of the pen
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu May 07, 2009 11:49 pm

well, he was considered a decent prospect, as far as RP prospects. not many of them get a lot of hype, but there are quite a few that project as RP only guys, so they don't get high overall prospect scores.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri May 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:Anyone think Andrew Bailey has a shot at the job? Ziegler isn't looking incredible, and Castilla is probably the default guy but not very exciting. I just added him, and he'll be ok even without saves, but could be a big steal if he gets a chance to close. He isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, but like lots of RP prospects, he never had a ton of hype around him.

I know when I'm considering holding a closers slot for someone I always look for the guy with the WHIP above 2 who walked more than he K'd as a 21 year old in AA.

If he doesn't gain command....a LOT of it...Rodriguez will never even see the show, let alone the 9th.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

I know when I'm considering holding a closers slot for someone I always look for the guy with the WHIP above 2 who walked more than he K'd as a 21 year old in AA.

If he doesn't gain command....a LOT of it...Rodriguez will never even see the show, let alone the 9th.

He's got electric stuff, has great K-rates, and he's still young enough to gain command. He reminds me a lot another Rodriguez closer (aka KRod).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Fri May 08, 2009 6:57 pm

I like Bailey, and I'll tell you why. Bailey reminds me of the AL's Carlos Marmol.

I think given the oppurtunity, Bailey would be a better closer than ziggi, mainly just because Bailey has mid 90s stuff, and a good hard biting slider. Zigi has a lot of movement, and or quirkyness, but is sure to keep getting hit more and more as his newness wares off. As far as them holding it for Rodriquez, he (Rodriquez) better find some command quick. The fact that he was cut from camp doesn't hold up well for him.

Help me out: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=383857

Cheers,
910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 am

Bailey pitches in the 8th with a 2 run lead, and the A's send him back out for the 9th, still a 2 run lead...aaron hill grounds out...let's see how he does vs. rios, wells, lind, etc.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 09, 2009 12:37 am

...and he gets the 2 inning save. :^
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers