Draft strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft strategy

Postby Public Enemy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:33 am

Hi guys, I am new to fantasy baseball and am wondering what my strategy should be for drafting players? Should I go with Infield first, outfield, pitchers? This may be a really silly question for most of you but as I said, I am new to this. Any advice would really be appreciated. I am in a six team league.

Thanks in advance!

Maximus
Public Enemy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:50 am

First round you must take the best "player" available. It could be a hitter or pitcher in this case. I usually draft the best hitters available and try to load up with power and speend at 2nd and SS.Don't get caught in closer runs. And make sure you don't overypay just to get saves.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Any thoughts?

Postby Public Enemy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:48 pm

Thanks Bronx!

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Maximus
Public Enemy

Postby public enemy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:04 pm

ttt
public enemy

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:21 pm

The guy is right on. Do your homework and you'll be fine.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:36 pm

What I would add is to kind of scope out where dropoffs are, i.e. where the 'A' list 1B become 'B' list 1B and the same for each position. That will give you a much better idea for comparing 'hmmmm, is Kenny Lofton worth more or less than John Lieber?' type of questions. This can be pretty important once you get past the 'obvious' rounds and are 'filling in' gaps in your lineup.

6 teams though, that's not too many so you should really be able to pick pretty much kick ass players for like 10 or so rounds, at least. Especially w/ such a small market, you should be able to focus more in IF at first and pick up guys towards the end to fill out your OF. This will serve you better as there are maybe 4-6 guys at each IF position, incl. catcher, who would qualify as 'A' players the way I saw it. Some positions (eg SS, 2B, even 1B) have a tier of players who are way better than other guys who might be 'A' players. If you have an A+ 2B and another guy is playing you w/ a B or even C 2B, you will be quite a bit ahead of him, however you are scoring it.

Similarly, there are some pitchers (Prior, Pedro) who are a bit more 'A+' material than Schmidt or other guys w/ 'bolder' question marks. The guys who get Prior may touch off a run on pitchers but, on the other hand, you can pass that up for a round and pick to round out your infield with somebody like Blalock or Richie Sexson who is a legitimate 'A' player and pick up another, less dominant pitcher from a good team (perhaps Javier Vazquez would be in this category?) who will, nonetheless, rack up some W/ K/ ERA points for you on a regular basis.

I hope that makes sense. good luck anyway if it doesn't!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers