Matt Gamel debate... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Gamel debate...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Gamel debate...

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Of course most fantasy owners would love to see Matt Gamel called up and playing every day by June, however, do any of you believe we won't even see him until sept? I guess he could and probably should be traded, but I really don't see Gamel contributing with the Brewers in 09 unless the Brewers know their out contention. He's to bad of a defender at 3rd, he's not remotely close to being capable of playing outfield, and simply, there's no room for him in their lineup. Outside of creating Prince Fielder trade rumors to slot him at first, do you agree or disagree?
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Gamel debate...

Postby skones » Thu May 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Should be traded? That makes no sense. You won't see him until September though with the way Bill Hall is playing at third.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:21 pm

skones wrote:Should be traded? That makes no sense. You won't see him until September though with the way Bill Hall is playing at third.

I think it makes perfect sense...he's not a 3rd basemen, you could move him to the OF but Hart is not a natural cf. Do the Brewers really want to start Braun, Gamel, and Hart in the OF together? The only other option is 1b and unless the Brewers deal Fielder, it's not going to happen. They need pitching bad and I'm not talking about rent a pitcher for 2 months like the did in the Sabathia/Laporta deal. Gamel is better fit in the American league, and the Brewers can get an awful lot for him.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby skones » Thu May 07, 2009 10:31 pm

hett2333 wrote:
skones wrote:Should be traded? That makes no sense. You won't see him until September though with the way Bill Hall is playing at third.

I think it makes perfect sense...he's not a 3rd basemen, you could move him to the OF but Hart is not a natural cf. Do the Brewers really want to start Braun, Gamel, and Hart in the OF together? The only other option is 1b and unless the Brewers deal Fielder, it's not going to happen. They need pitching bad and I'm not talking about rent a pitcher for 2 months like the did in the Sabathia/Laporta deal. Gamel is better fit in the American league, and the Brewers can get an awful lot for him.

He's had 90 AB's at the AAA level, there's no rush to do anything with Gamel at this point. If anything, Fielder goes before Gamel.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 pm

There's already a thread on this topic in the minors section. But there is some speculation that he will come for interleague play to DH.

And to be honest it makes more sense for a mid-market team like the Brewers to trade Prince this offseason (he'll be two years from FA) and have Gamel take over there.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 pm

He is improving at 3B and his range etc is fine it is just the errors so there is reason to believe he might stick at 3B. If nothing else he comes up and plays a partial season next year and then takes over 1B when Fielder leaves. I don't expect to see him early this season unless Braun's injury causes him to hit the DL. The fact they had Hall play LF while Braun got his MRI says volumes in my opinion.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers