Where's the love for Luke Hochevar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's the love for Luke Hochevar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where's the love for Luke Hochevar?

Postby TexasStampede » Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 am

good news is he should get a 2nd start on sunday so if he pitches well (cant get much worse) those rough stats should even out....i hope. :-{
TexasStampede
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 am

Who said no love for him in Oakland? He gave up 8 runs in the second inning, what's not to love? Bring him back anytime.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 am

Cards07Champs wrote:[I think Hochevar has a far better fastball than Webb and doesn't have as good a sinker as Webb.

I LOL'd at this post. Webb has one of the best fastballs in the game. The dude's average fastball is < 90 MPH and gets awesome results with it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Mighty Trow » Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 am

here he probably thought he had a nice cushy first assignment against a punchless A's lineup... whoops.

was watching the mlb network last night and i was surprised to hear his name pronounced ho-shaver. always though it was ho-cheyvar. wonder how many other names i've butchered. chone, anyone? :-B
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Wed May 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Last year I thought Johnny Cueto's name was pronounced with an S sound until he got his first Major League start... oops
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby B-Chad » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Interesting article on fangraphs about Luke Hochevar (here: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... m-hochevar). It discusses his use of his offspeed stuff (namely his curveball which the article states as his best pitch when he was drafted, and a plus offering). Anyone buying into him now that he's struck out 22 and walked 0 in his last 13 IP? He hasn't been lights out, but he appears to be serviceable, and if things have clicked, a pitcher with his GB rate would seemingly be a pretty hot commodity if he were able to maintain even a bit of his gains and say post a K/9 of 7.4-ish. Just curious if anyone's been watching his starts, I haven't, so I'd like some eye ball feedback, and not just gamelogs and box scores. Thanks.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:54 pm

B-Chad wrote:Interesting article on fangraphs about Luke Hochevar (here: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... m-hochevar). It discusses his use of his offspeed stuff (namely his curveball which the article states as his best pitch when he was drafted, and a plus offering). Anyone buying into him now that he's struck out 22 and walked 0 in his last 13 IP? He hasn't been lights out, but he appears to be serviceable, and if things have clicked, a pitcher with his GB rate would seemingly be a pretty hot commodity if he were able to maintain even a bit of his gains and say post a K/9 of 7.4-ish. Just curious if anyone's been watching his starts, I haven't, so I'd like some eye ball feedback, and not just gamelogs and box scores. Thanks.

I love to see his recent success but the fact that he is doing it primarily with his curveball makes me wonder if he can keep it up. He's a sinker ball pitcher and was suppose to be having success with that and using his secondary offerings to keep people honest but these last two games he's really went with his curveball a ton and while it is a good pitch it's not ridiculous good....so I'm more thinking he's just caught teams off guard with the fact he's went more breaking ball instead of fastball....we'll see. I'll be excited to see if he can keep this up even a little but the fact that he's not dominating with his fastball does make me take a step back and not go overboard.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby B-Chad » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 pm

J35J wrote:
B-Chad wrote:Interesting article on fangraphs about Luke Hochevar (here: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... m-hochevar). It discusses his use of his offspeed stuff (namely his curveball which the article states as his best pitch when he was drafted, and a plus offering). Anyone buying into him now that he's struck out 22 and walked 0 in his last 13 IP? He hasn't been lights out, but he appears to be serviceable, and if things have clicked, a pitcher with his GB rate would seemingly be a pretty hot commodity if he were able to maintain even a bit of his gains and say post a K/9 of 7.4-ish. Just curious if anyone's been watching his starts, I haven't, so I'd like some eye ball feedback, and not just gamelogs and box scores. Thanks.

I love to see his recent success but the fact that he is doing it primarily with his curveball makes me wonder if he can keep it up. He's a sinker ball pitcher and was suppose to be having success with that and using his secondary offerings to keep people honest but these last two games he's really went with his curveball a ton and while it is a good pitch it's not ridiculous good....so I'm more thinking he's just caught teams off guard with the fact he's went more breaking ball instead of fastball....we'll see. I'll be excited to see if he can keep this up even a little but the fact that he's not dominating with his fastball does make me take a step back and not go overboard.

Thanks, I was figuring I could count on you to make a post and give me thorough insight (being your are the most avid Royals fan on the board ;-D ).
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am

B-Chad wrote:
J35J wrote:

Thanks, I was figuring I could count on you to make a post and give me thorough insight (being your are the most avid Royals fan on the board ;-D ).

Take THAT Tav. }:-) :-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:32 am

I can't talk about Pena Jr anymore so there is nothing left.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers