Where's the love for Luke Hochevar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's the love for Luke Hochevar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where's the love for Luke Hochevar?

Postby B-Chad » Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm

He was selected 1st overall in the 2006 draft, so he has the pedigree. He was mediocre/bad last year in over 120 innings, but he also only had about 12 prior innings in the bigs, so that was to be expected. He's a groundball machine, and Sir Sidney currently occupies a spot in the Royals rotation, so I've gotta ask, where's the love? He was the cover boy tonight on MILB.com so I had to check out his numbers this year, and they are lights out. He's also putting together an absolutely dominant start tonight (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=460024). How soon can he be expected back up, and is the Royals infield defense good enough to take advantage of all his ground balls? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where's the love for Luke Hochevar?

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 pm

I personally think we'll see him get the call within the next month.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I don't think he's in the class of other top prospects we've seen come up in recent years. His road to this point has set him back.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm

He'll be up within 2-3 weeks. With that said he's pretty much Jair Jurrjens or Armando Gallaraga...top end being Derek Lowe. Low K's and mediocore WHIP more than likely. He'll be one of those guys that are better in real life than what he will give you in fantasy.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm

J35J wrote:He'll be up within 2-3 weeks. With that said he's pretty much Jair Jurrjens or Armando Gallaraga...top end being Derek Lowe. Low K's and mediocore WHIP more than likely. He'll be one of those guys that are better in real life than what he will give you in fantasy.

If he can be as effictive as Gallaraga then he's going to be a great add at this point in the season.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm

I see he had a decent K/9 in AA a couple years back, any chance he's able to strikeout more hitters then we are giving him credit for? I know he has a filthy sinker which is why he induces such an insane ground ball rate, but what else does he throw? I unfortunately don't have last year's BA Prospect HB to reference right now (I have this years and lent a friend last years), but it seems if he is learning how to pitch and figuring out how to use an out pitch, he might be able to ring up some somewhat respectable k numbers. J35J, I know you are by far the best source for Royals info on the cafe, so I'm curious if you could further enlighten me. I'll add that I play in leagues that go well beyond typical 5x5 stats, hence the interest in the first place. I love his respectable walk rate, and the fact that as a ground baller who attacks the zone, he should go deep into games. I'm also intrigued by the K's he's currently put up in AAA this year. Finally, I'm not looking at him as a savior, but given his college experience, his minors expierence, and the 120+ Major League innings last year I have to believe he'd be useful to fill out rotations. Thanks in advance.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kickureface » Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 pm

hett2333 wrote:
J35J wrote:He'll be up within 2-3 weeks. With that said he's pretty much Jair Jurrjens or Armando Gallaraga...top end being Derek Lowe. Low K's and mediocore WHIP more than likely. He'll be one of those guys that are better in real life than what he will give you in fantasy.

If he can be as effictive as Gallaraga then he's going to be a great add at this point in the season.

whats so special about gallaraga? isnt he kinda new, and he got smoked today
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hett2333 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:38 am

Well he made his case to be called up even stronger after last night's performance.
8 IP 0 ER 5 H 0 BB 9 SO
I'd say he's ready...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjs » Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 am

Him and H. Bailey will both be up in the next two weeks. Can't decide who to take the shot on. Really like that he got the 9k's.
jjs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 08, 2009 9:09 am

Don't look for much fantasy upside here. His ceiling is prob around 140 k's in 200 IP, and KC, while not as bad as it once was, isn't good enough for him to rack up the wins like some other ground ball pitchers. I guess he could turn into a solid #4 or #5 SP to round out your ratios, but that's about it.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers