Probably a dumb question about Pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Probably a dumb question about Pitching

Probably a dumb question about Pitching

Postby SauberF1 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:52 pm

First time playing fantasy baseball so....
I play in a 12 team H2H. With 10 Cat. Pitching wise there is W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Is there really a point to having a relief pitcher?
Currently roster I can play SPx2, RPx2, Px3

Wouldn't it be better to just stack my roster with SPs and guys with SP/RP designation? Since they pitch more wouldn't I get more Ks and have a higher chance of Ws, and SVs? Or will that just mean I risk losing out on ERA and WHIP?

Pitchers
J. Sanchez (SP)
C. Lee (SP)
J. Chamberlain (SP, RP)
M. Lindstrom (RP)
R. Nolasco (SP)
C. Kershaw (SP)
E. Volquez (SP)
J. Weaver (SP)
J. Lackey (SP) -DL
SauberF1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Probably a dumb question about Pitching

Postby BravesDomination » Sat May 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Saves, Saves, Saves. Also, They usually have pretty good ERA, and they can play several times a week getting you strikeouts thoughout.
BravesDomination
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steveosan » Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 am

What you are referring to is commonly called "punting saves". It's a common strategy that rarely brings great success. It's problematic because you're automatically down one category before your matchups even start. Then you're really relying on your starters to be dominant to hopefully win you at least 3 out of 4 of the other pitching cats. In H2H you're dealing with such a small sample size (one week) that it's unrealistic to expect great numbers from your starting pitchers every week, sometimes you need your relievers to bail you out. As the other poster pointed out, RP's also help in ERA, WHIP, and K's - elite closers can rack up as many K's in a week as a decent starter. Also, the more SP's you have going, the more likely some of them just aren't that good and thus the greater the odds for an awful start or two that will really kill your numbers. I would advise that you try to get at least two solid closers so that you're at least competitive in Saves.
Just mindin' my own bidniz...
steveosan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby vincentvega722 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:36 pm

I consider myself a beginner to fantasy baseball but in my 2 years playing roto and H2H you don't punt a stat. Do your best to be competitive in all stat categories. Depending on your league you can find some relief pitchers that can give you saves. Worry about the SP when they are going to play. For example leave your RP active everyday and when Cliff Lee, Edison Volquez, or any other one of your SP's are schedule to pitch plug them in, else bench them if their not. It gives you a much greater chance of winning since some RP play multiple games.
vincentvega722
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SauberF1 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:25 pm

steveosan wrote:What you are referring to is commonly called "punting saves". It's a common strategy that rarely brings great success. It's problematic because you're automatically down one category before your matchups even start. Then you're really relying on your starters to be dominant to hopefully win you at least 3 out of 4 of the other pitching cats. In H2H you're dealing with such a small sample size (one week) that it's unrealistic to expect great numbers from your starting pitchers every week, sometimes you need your relievers to bail you out. As the other poster pointed out, RP's also help in ERA, WHIP, and K's - elite closers can rack up as many K's in a week as a decent starter. Also, the more SP's you have going, the more likely some of them just aren't that good and thus the greater the odds for an awful start or two that will really kill your numbers. I would advise that you try to get at least two solid closers so that you're at least competitive in Saves.

any good closers you might have in mind?

vincentvega722 wrote:I consider myself a beginner to fantasy baseball but in my 2 years playing roto and H2H you don't punt a stat. Do your best to be competitive in all stat categories. Depending on your league you can find some relief pitchers that can give you saves. Worry about the SP when they are going to play. For example leave your RP active everyday and when Cliff Lee, Edison Volquez, or any other one of your SP's are schedule to pitch plug them in, else bench them if their not. It gives you a much greater chance of winning since some RP play multiple games.

that makes it more clear for me -thanks
SauberF1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sun May 24, 2009 7:56 pm

My only criticism of the question would be that it wasn't specified in the subject.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Motown Blues » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Jonathan Broxton is a PERFECT example of why to never ignore the closer role on your fantasy squad:

6-0, 13 saves, 1.24 ERA / 0.66 WHIP, 47 K's in 29 IP. He actually leads my team in wins, the biggest crap-shoot of a statistic that exists in all of sports. Just ask owners (over the last 2+ seasons) of: Scott Kazmir, Jake Peavy, Bronson Arroyo and Chien-Ming Wang. I carry 5 closers (draft top ones with lock-down spots and avoid the "hot-seat" guys), and corner the market. I can always trade one, but these guys get hurt like any other players and often lose their jobs.
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum