NCAA (and other sports) rosters in jeopardy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

NCAA (and other sports) rosters in jeopardy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NCAA (and other sports) rosters in jeopardy

Postby jfg » Thu May 07, 2009 6:23 pm

I've always been a big fan of uploading rosters in NCAA games to have real names but I think there is a good possibility that option might not exist very soon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/05/07/easports.ap/index.html?eref=si_latest

I would imagine sports games would respond to a guilty verdict by not allowing any roster uploads in their sports games, maybe even locking out the option of using 3rd party software to transfer rosters. With NCAA games I could see them locking roster editing altogether.

Right now, I can see where an NCAA athlete is coming from. I mean, the names are on the voice soundtrack, they just don't say them until you edit the name yourself. But, it's obvious that EA is profiting off of athletes that aren't being reimbursed for it. Who knows, this could be a step in the right direction for those who think athletes should get paid....
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NCAA (and other sports) rosters in jeopardy

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 am

This will be a touchy subject. I wonder, if at all, this affects the sales of upcoming releases.
I was always the guy spending hours putting the names in manually, and last year I just downloaded the whole thing in like 2 minutes. The game is so much more enjoyable with all the correct names.
Personally, I would still but NCAA Football 10 if I had to manually put them in again, though I would only enter them for Notre Dame. :-)
What would really suck is if that for each player, their height/weight/race/attributes/anything else was way off from the players there are 'representing'. Could you imagine Clausen being a scrambler, or Pryor being a slow dropback passer?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 15, 2009 10:07 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:This will be a touchy subject. I wonder, if at all, this affects the sales of upcoming releases.
I was always the guy spending hours putting the names in manually, and last year I just downloaded the whole thing in like 2 minutes. The game is so much more enjoyable with all the correct names.
Personally, I would still but NCAA Football 10 if I had to manually put them in again, though I would only enter them for Notre Dame. :-)
What would really suck is if that for each player, their height/weight/race/attributes/anything else was way off from the players there are 'representing'. Could you imagine Clausen being a scrambler, or Pryor being a slow dropback passer?

I dont mind editing the names myself, but I dont want to see that option blocked, lets just pay the kids 30k a year to play and get is over

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jfg » Thu May 21, 2009 3:18 pm

I think NCAA games would have to get rid of name entry altogether and probably wouldn't be allowed to make players similar to real college players.

I've heard that this has been brought to suit before and EA always wins but I don't know how. It's pretty obvious that they are profiting off of players getting zero money out of the deal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Video Games