MANNY OWNERS! PLANS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Ender » Fri May 08, 2009 12:02 am

Nothing about this should change how good he is so you have to just bench him and grab the next best OF in my opinion.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Padres Fan » Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 pm

I went into drafting this refusing to pick up AROD or Manny due to personality, I figured manny wouldnt be happy with the contract he "settled for" and do what he did in Boston, but the suspension, still makes me feel justified about not drafting Manny, now I just wished that i went for Zimmerman and not Gordon at 3rd as i weighed on who would have a better breakout year.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2050
Joined: 6 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City/San Diego

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Roger LaFrancois » Fri May 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Perhaps this is rash, but the first thing that I did was waive Magglio Ordonez for Justin Upton. My reasoning was that I really couldn't afford to have two OF on my bench and that I think there is a reasonable chance anyway that Magglio is just cooked. I did not try to trade Magglio because I didn't think that what I could get for him would be stronger than my weakest bench player, plus I did not know for how much longer Justin would be available.

I have no plans to trade Manny but will listen to any offers. So far none have been forthcoming.
Roger LaFrancois
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 53
Joined: 4 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Roger LaFrancois wrote:Perhaps this is rash, but the first thing that I did was waive Magglio Ordonez for Justin Upton. My reasoning was that I really couldn't afford to have two OF on my bench and that I think there is a reasonable chance anyway that Magglio is just cooked. I did not try to trade Magglio because I didn't think that what I could get for him would be stronger than my weakest bench player, plus I did not know for how much longer Justin would be available.

I have no plans to trade Manny but will listen to any offers. So far none have been forthcoming.

You sir are just brilliant. Your biggest outfield bat goes down, so to compensate, you drop your second biggest OF bat... Just brilliant.

Have you looked into this Chris Shelton guy yet? I suggest picking him up. Pujols is probably a safe player to drop.
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 pm

meh maggs looks like he's done for right now and upton is really starting to put it together right now so it's not a bad add/drop. your belittling of his move is pretty uncalled for, in fact.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby jlm53089 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:52 pm

I actually traded FOR him
All I gave up was Frank Fransisco.
Come July 3 my OF is Soriano, Carlos Lee, Kemp, and Manny... Pretty solid.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Padres Fan » Fri May 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Hopefully Manny doesn't come back as Emanuela, The Women's fertility drugs, long flowing locks, close proximity to West Hollywood.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2050
Joined: 6 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City/San Diego

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Roger LaFrancois » Sat May 09, 2009 8:12 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:
Roger LaFrancois wrote:Perhaps this is rash, but the first thing that I did was waive Magglio Ordonez for Justin Upton. My reasoning was that I really couldn't afford to have two OF on my bench and that I think there is a reasonable chance anyway that Magglio is just cooked. I did not try to trade Magglio because I didn't think that what I could get for him would be stronger than my weakest bench player, plus I did not know for how much longer Justin would be available.

I have no plans to trade Manny but will listen to any offers. So far none have been forthcoming.

You sir are just brilliant. Your biggest outfield bat goes down, so to compensate, you drop your second biggest OF bat... Just brilliant.

Have you looked into this Chris Shelton guy yet? I suggest picking him up. Pujols is probably a safe player to drop.

I wouldn't call myself brilliant yet. This is only my second year doing fantasy baseball. I figure I will make mistakes and learn from them.

But you are wrong in stating that Ordonez is my second biggest OF bat. After my draft I rated my OF as Ramirez, Holliday, Ordonez, Damon. Prior to the drop I would rate them Ramirez, Holliday, Damon, (Ordonez, Hawpe who I picked up on wavers). You may disagree with my ratings, but I think they are defensible.

My reasoning then was that I would expect my reserve OF to get a disproportionate amount of their plate appearances during the 50 days that Ramirez was down. So my choices were to either hope that Magglio gets himself turned around immediately and not wait until mid June to pick up, or to pursue another option. Given these choices, and the availability of Upton on the waiver wire (which I didn't think would last) I opted to be proactive.

Furthermore Magglio seems to fit the profile of an aging player who might suddenly fall off the cliff. Now he may or may not, but the risk is there. My biggest regret this fantasy season is being late for my draft 1/2 hour because of a good nap and allowing the autodrafter to give me Magglio. I never would have made that pick. Still I can't be that stupid, somehow I am in 3rd place in my league despite starting pitching woes due to the injury of Webb and ineffectiveness so far of Nolasco and Beckett.

Since I am still learning this, I am interested in tracking the performance of Upton versus Ordonez over these 50 days. So Ordonez now is at .229-10-2-12-0 in my Yahoo league while Upton is at .292-16-6-16-2.
Roger LaFrancois
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 53
Joined: 4 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby Roger LaFrancois » Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 am

As far as my plans go with Manny, I figure the issue here is the same as Arod. What is the expected loss in value of a player knowing beforehand that he is to lose a certain amount of games. The way I see it is that Manny now becomes a solid 4th round pick in value as opposed to a 2nd round pick. So if somebody wants to offer me Adrian Gonzalez for Manny I will think about it. Since I do not believe that offer is forthcoming, I think I will hold.
Roger LaFrancois
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 53
Joined: 4 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MANNY OWNERS! PLANS?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat May 09, 2009 12:06 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I actually traded FOR him
All I gave up was Frank Fransisco.
Come July 3 my OF is Soriano, Carlos Lee, Kemp, and Manny... Pretty solid.

Yeah, if you don't have him now is a great time to trade for him. This must be an extremely embarrassing situation for Manny, but he'll have a strong enough second half to justify going after him.

In the one league that I have him, I'm just going to sit him on my bench. Not much else you can do right now.
Image
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 4264
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:58 hours
(and 91 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact