Alexei Ramirez to lose his job??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Alexei Ramirez to lose his job???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alexei Ramirez to lose his job???

Postby harold_bush » Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm

The slumping Alexei Ramirez could sit for multiple games as the White Sox take a look at Jayson Nix at shortstop.
Manager Ozzie Guillen explained his decision by saying "I need some offense," and the Chicago Tribune indicates that Nix has an opportunity to take the starting job if he plays well. It's time to add him in AL-only leagues if he's not owned already.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Holy smokes, I'm hoping this guy was going to be one of my cheap saviors, lose his job? I'm hoping this is just Ozzie being Ozzie, this kids was too good and has too bright of a future to just bench his ass.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Alexei Ramirez to lose his job???

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed May 06, 2009 7:14 pm

He was a bit of a slow starter last year and he really turned it on around June. He lived in Cuba all his life, maybe he doesn't like the cold weather. :-o

All I can say is...hang in there. You won't get much in return by trading him now, so you are probably better off leaving him on the bench and hope he gets hot. Ozzie can be Ozzie all he wants, but at the end of the day, it's Jayson Nix we are talking about here.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foeplay » Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Alexei is my only SS, should I pick someone up to start them tomorrow? :~(
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheNephilim » Wed May 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Alexei will not lose his job, Ozzie is just giving him a day or two to get his head on straight. Stick with him, Alexie's april last year was worse and look at the results. He'll produce.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skimo77 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 am

i dunno... everyone is very high for a guy who has only played one year and is just about 29... i'm sure he'll come around but i dont feel he is an elite SS like he was picked at the beginning of the year.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Buttermilk Pancake » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 am

SS Alexei Ramirez has lost his starting job to Jayson Nix, manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday. Ramirez has continued to struggle at the plate, going 4-for-20 on the road trip. "It's not a rest," Guillen said before Wednesday's game with Detroit was postponed. "I always tell my players give yourself a chance, get good at-bats, but when you see one at-bat after another, after another, after another, and no results, no adjustments. We talked to Alexei a few times, I don't mind 0-for-4, I don't mind struggle, I don't mind a slump. But how you are in that slump, do something about it. I need some offense, and that's why I'm going to put Nix out there." Guillen was then asked if it was a temporary move or long-term, and he couldn't give an answer. The way Guillen sees it, Nix, and even Ramirez to some extent, will answer that question in the next week. "I'm not going to say (Ramirez is) in the doghouse, I'm not going to say I'm punishing him for that, but I want to let people know, not just him, we have to play as a team and we have to see people on the field that can help us," Guillen said. "There's one thing about Nix. I never fall in love with any players until they show me they can play in the big leagues. But he's got three games, two games, and every at-bat, this kid fights. He might not get a hit, but he will fight."
(Yahoo! Sports)

:-* :~(
Buttermilk Pancake Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 am

Skimo77 wrote:everyone is very high for a guy who has only played one year and is just about 29...

Disappointing for sure. I thought we were seeing the next B.J. Upton / Alfonso Soriano speed & power type. And huh, I didn't realize Ramirez was that old -- 28, DOB 9/22/81.

Still, those numbers in the second half last year were awesome. He'll get his chance again, fairly soon I would bet. I'll stash him on the bench and meanwhile, start ... Troy Tulowitzi. X-I
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Holein1 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:47 pm

why do they not bring gorden beckham up????
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby djxskillz » Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 am

talk about the biggest fantasy bust of the year. glad i put him on my dont draft list.
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Fri May 08, 2009 1:24 am

Holein1 wrote:why do they not bring gorden beckham up????

Ozzie has said he doesn't want to bring him up this year. I wouldn't expect to see him until Sept.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates