Lots of shortstops struggling? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lots of shortstops struggling?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lots of shortstops struggling?

Postby yossarian » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 pm

I ended up with both Rollins and Drew on my time. My thinking at the time was "oh well. at least I won't have to scrabble around on the wire looking for a serviceable SS all season". Crap. :-P
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mac-unit » Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 pm

I'd still take Sizemore over Braun and Kinsler, hot start or not. I'm still not sold Kinsler will stay healthy the entire year. In April only leagues though, he is a stud.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 am

Longoria could be mentioned here. Markakis could be a top 10 pick.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Ender » Thu May 07, 2009 10:21 am

Back to the original subject since changing your top 2 rounds based on a month is kind of silly anyway~.

Hardy finally broke out and after just 2 games is over .200 with 4 HR and 15 RBI. Not what people expected of him but just an example of how as little as 2 good games can really turn around a season at this point.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rjforlife » Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 am

Maris09 wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Way to hi-jack the thread.. :-t :-D

:-D
People can give a 2 part answer if they feel like it.

Hijacking is ok if the new topic is better.

Honestly I think Longoria has to be in the discussion for top 6-10. I know he is still young but with all the hype and then living up to it last season and taking off this year, I see no reason to not believe.

Markakis is not top 10, he simply does not produce enough on his own(HR/SB) to warrant such high placement. A lot of his value right now is tied to obscene Runs/RBI totals, which are too team dependent for my liking in the top 10.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Got Hanley with the #3 pick in my money league (Pujols went 1st and Reyes went to the Mets homer who drafted #2) and he seems to be coming around a bit after that brief injury scare. Really feel like he dodged a bullet there...

In another league I have Drew and had to pick up Callaspo to replace him. Can't say anything bad about Callaspo right now except for his 0-5 performance last night, grounding into a DP with the bases loaded once and then popping up with them loaded again. However, he's filled in nicely with a league that counts 2B's...

In my last league, I have Peralta and Lopez. Peralta has been stinking up the joint but Lopez has saved me with some SB's and a .300 avg to boot.

I guess, so far, if you can find a servicable replacement, be happy for what you get. Otherwise, yeah, tough start for the SS's of the world in '09.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Nerfherders » Thu May 07, 2009 3:58 pm

SS has been a pretty good position for me so far this year. In 2 of my leagues I have Hanley, and the other 2 I have Theriot. At the MI spots I have Escobar and Guzman.

Hanley seems to be coming around. 2 HR for him today. Just wish he would steal more.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Nerfherders wrote:SS has been a pretty good position for me so far this year. In 2 of my leagues I have Hanley, and the other 2 I have Theriot. At the MI spots I have Escobar and Guzman.

Hanley seems to be coming around. 2 HR for him today. Just wish he would steal more.

Wish Bonifacio hadn't tried to steal today...first HR would have been a 2 run shot instead of a solo one.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 07, 2009 7:18 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Way to hi-jack the thread.. :-t :-D

:-D

Honestly I think Longoria has to be in the discussion for top 6-10. I know he is still young but with all the hype and then living up to it last season and taking off this year, I see no reason to not believe.

Markakis is not top 10, he simply does not produce enough on his own(HR/SB) to warrant such high placement. A lot of his value right now is tied to obscene Runs/RBI totals, which are too team dependent for my liking in the top 10.

runs are not team related. they are a completely individual stat. they are scored by players with high OPS and extra base hits. and if they can steal, all the better. i know this seem weird, but it is true. i have a whole bunch of stats on this, but I feel this is the wrong place to post. (no need to double hijack this post) somewhere there is a thread about all this. i just cant find it now. if someone wants to search for it, they can post the link.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 07, 2009 8:34 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
rjforlife wrote:
Maris09 wrote::-D

runs are not team related. they are a completely individual stat.

You're wrong on a variety of levels here. This much I assure you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers