David Price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Price

Postby Mreater71 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Has anyone heard of any updates/news on the possibility of calling up Price? You would think that Tampa Bay would be tempted since it may give them a possible lift since they're in a sort of a slump.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price

Postby Reeron » Wed May 06, 2009 12:37 am

Nothing official, but if the Rays are trying to avoid Price qualifying for Super Two status, then they will hold him in the minors until July. They can't allow him to have 86 or more days of Major League service this year, otherwise he could gain arbitration eligibility a year early. Although that could become a moot point if they sign him to a long-term contract like the did with Evan Longoria.

Also, remember that Price has an innings limit of about 150, so they don't want to bring him up too early. If they bring him up now, he will hit 150 innings (including minors) way before the season ends. Down in the minors, they can pull him early (say 4 innings) and keep doing that to keep his innings low. They can't do that if he's on the major league roster.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheGhost » Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 am

Reeron wrote:Nothing official, but if the Rays are trying to avoid Price qualifying for Super Two status, then they will hold him in the minors until July. They can't allow him to have 86 or more days of Major League service this year, otherwise he could gain arbitration eligibility a year early. Although that could become a moot point if they sign him to a long-term contract like the did with Evan Longoria.

Also, remember that Price has an innings limit of about 150, so they don't want to bring him up too early. If they bring him up now, he will hit 150 innings (including minors) way before the season ends. Down in the minors, they can pull him early (say 4 innings) and keep doing that to keep his innings low. They can't do that if he's on the major league roster.

I didn't post the question but thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. What does everyone think about him getting roughed up a little in the minors this season? Something about only having two pitches and teams can figure him out. I have him stashed in my league and really need him. If the Rays put him in relief, he's useless to me. Thoughts?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 102)

Postby Homoudont » Wed May 06, 2009 7:06 am

They sent him down to work on his changeup so his stats haven't been pretty. they have him on a strict pitch count due to being injury prone in college. He's a talent and investment they don't want to mess up. So I wouldn't expect him up to he can get his pitch count around 100 which will probably coincide with his super two status.

As for his major league stats from last year, he was used as a situational lefty. So he never faced top tier RH batters. When he gets to the majors as a starter your not going to see those crazy stats you saw the end of last year. IMHO
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 am

Homoudont wrote:As for his major league stats from last year, he was used as a situational lefty. So he never faced top tier RH batters. When he gets to the majors as a starter your not going to see those crazy stats you saw the end of last year. IMHO

Maybe you should check his stats from last year before making stuff up. Situational lefties don't thrown 5 1/3 IP twice in september or over 1 IP 3 out of 5 appearances. They also don't generally gets saves in the postseason or end up the last pitcher of record for his team in every one of his postseason appearances.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mreater71 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:04 pm

So, should I just drop him or should I continue to keep him on my bench for whenever The Rays call him up?
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Homoudont » Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Can't really say if you should drop price or not, if you've held him this long, you mine as well hold onto him till he makes his 2009 debut. If he was on my league's waiver wire at this point in the season, I'd probably grab him and hold on to him.
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Reeron » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am

I agree. If you have him now, you may as well wait it out. Also, if he were to drop to my league's waiver wire he would be on my team in about 2 seconds. You can never have enough pitching, and unless you have a rash of injuries, you should hold onto him.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kickureface » Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm

im a little confused: can someone summarize about price? im new to mlb in general.

why is he so heavily owned if hes not in the MLB? what happened to him, and what's his potential?
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 4ToTheStadium » Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 am

kickureface wrote:im a little confused: can someone summarize about price? im new to mlb in general.

why is he so heavily owned if hes not in the MLB? what happened to him, and what's his potential?

He is a great young pitching prospect with nasty stuff. Came up late last year and was lights out. Hes not in the MLB because they feel hes not 100% ready.
4ToTheStadium
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates