Question on Zambrano Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Question on Zambrano Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question on Zambrano Trade

Postby hornbri » Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Ok here is the situation a owner in the league sent out a a trade offer 7 days ago Zambrano for F Cordero. On Sunday of course Zambrano gets hurt, on Monday he goes on the DL. On Monday night the offer was accepted.

A couple owners in the league are very upset, the owner that offered the trade being one of them. My view as commissioner is that it is not the my job to babysit them and that managers need to manage there outstanding offers. (His reply was he had too many offers out to respond.)

What do you think, should I veto the trade - clearly no collusion was involved.
hornbri
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question on Zambrano Trade

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 am

While normally I say that each manager is responsible for managing their own team, the fact that the other team only accepted the deal AFTER the injury was reported makes me lean toward rejecting it. Especially if you were contacted by the owner prior to approving the deal.

All that being said, Z is only out what, 4-5 starts, so I wonder how close the trade was prior to the injury. It may well be that the sneak (and thats a nice word for him) will regret the deal.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am

i say let it go...if you leave a trade sit, those are the things that can happen
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RDD15 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:48 pm

I don't think that it is vetoable. This is why trades should be made via email and agreed upon instead of random proposals being thrown around.

The rest of the owners in the league do have the option of not dealing with the owner that is being less than a good sport, and if I were in the league I would surely exercise that option.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:09 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i say let it go...if you leave a trade sit, those are the things that can happen

;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby ABA316 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 am

Have to leave it be. I'm guessing the owner who sent the offer was sending Cordero and getting Zambrano?

IMO it's up to the owner who accepted in that case. I've had such things happen before where a player got hurt AFTER the trade was accepted and almost always both parties have at least discussed rescinding the trade in good faith.

That said if that doesn't happen, I think the owner who accepted will find out the repercussions next time they try to make a trade..and having dealt with a similar instance before I know I won't ever trade with that person.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SumG » Thu May 07, 2009 10:26 am

I think it really depends on how competitive the league is. If its a casual friends and family league, where people are only expected to check in every few days, then I think you should intervene. If its a highly competitive league, where daily action is expected and common, then you can let it go. It's a little bush league by the guy accepting the deal, but not paying close enough attention in a competitive league has a a cost.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eneric » Wed May 20, 2009 8:17 am

No way do you veto that, you let it ride on through man. That's what owners get for allowing proposed trades to stay on the board for several days. Anytime I make a trade offer and it stays on the table I constantly check the status for ALL players invovled. Not to mention Zambrano's stint on the DL wasn't for that long and it's not like his injury is all that big a deal.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Return to Commissioner's Corner