Benson says he's gone by end of spring training - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benson says he's gone by end of spring training

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benson says he's gone by end of spring training

Postby nsulham » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:52 pm

From the AP:

BRADENTON, Fla. — Kris Benson doesn’t expect to be pitching for the Pittsburgh Pirates past the end of spring training.
Benson, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, said he has been told by his agent that five teams are interested in acquiring him.
“It’s going to be interesting to see what’s going to happen over the next couple of weeks,” Benson said Friday. “I trust what my agent tells me.”
In addition to reports that the New York Yankees are interested, Benson said he thinks the list of suitors includes the Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves and Boston Red Sox.
“I know it’s there, I know they are talking, the rumors are flying,” Benson said. “I know they are legitimate. It’s totally in the Pirates’ hands.”
Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield has a policy of not commenting on trade rumors, but he said it is only natural that rumors would surface about Benson, who will make $6.1 million this season.
The Pirates traded high-priced veterans Brian Giles, Aramis Ramirez, Kenny Lofton, Randall Simon, Scott Sauerbeck, Mike Williams and Jeff Suppan last summer, and they are trying to get out from under the $42 million left on Jason Kendall’s contract.
“First and foremost, we’re going to continually say more than anything else that we want Kris Benson to pitch well for us,” Littlefield said.
Benson, the first overall pick in the 1996 draft, is 35-41 with a 4.27 ERA in five seasons. Since signing a four-year, $13.8 million contract in 2001, he has made only 43 starts because of injuries to his right elbow and right shoulder. He has a 15-15 record since signing the contract.
Littlefield said he hasn’t been ordered to trim the payroll again. The Pirates already have trimmed the payroll from $54 million to between $35 million and $39 million, projected to be the third lowest in the majors.
“We’re just looking for value in every player we have out there. Whatever we’re paying them, we’re hoping to get that level of production,” Littlefield said.
Benson pitched only once in the second half of last season because of right shoulder tendinitis, but he has been healthy this spring. He has made two spring training starts and threw 59 pitches in a simulated, four-inning game Friday.
His next scheduled start is Wednesday.
“It’s encouraging to know teams are interested in you and want you coming back from an injury,” Benson said. “They definitely see the upside when I’m healthy. I definitely have made it known I feel good, I’m healthy and my arm feels great again.”

I would think if he goes to any of those teams and he can stay healthy he'd be a nice little sleeper.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:32 pm

Benson is a good pitcher stuck on a bad team, it'll raise his value and do him some good to change teams.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pilambp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:34 pm

What's he worth in an AL Only league if he ends up on the Sox or Yanks?

I'm thinking along the lines of 12-13 wins, 4.50 ERA, 1.30 WHIP
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jonnyblack » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:38 pm

Word around saint louis is, that jockety has had his eye on him the whole time.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby nsulham » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:47 pm

jonnyblack wrote:Word around saint louis is, that jockety has had his eye on him the whole time.

The Cards could certainly use him. Don't know how big Pittsburgh would be on trading him within the division though...then again, they did give the Cubs like 10 players last year right?

I'd like to see what Benson is capable of with an offense behind him.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:57 pm

He throws his best stuff at Pitt so far in his career. 70 more career K's at home verse the road in only 50 more innings.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:38 am

I wouldn't mind him becoming a Texas Ranger. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:14 am

Would he even start as a Yankee?

I hope the Cards get him, but if the Yankees want him is anyone else really even in it?

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KULCAT » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:31 am

I hope the Braves get him. I remember back in 99(or 98?) Mcgwire saying he had the best stuff from a right handed pitcher he´d seen that season.
If he does get traded to a better team i expect a Gil Meche kinda of season. Good first half, horrible arm-close-to-falling-off second half
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:25 am

Zito is God wrote:Benson is a good pitcher stuck on a bad team, it'll raise his value and do him some good to change teams.

Personally I think he's the J.D.Drew of the pitching world. Loads of talent, always hurt or underacheiving. :-t
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers