Where is the love for Bengie Molina?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where is the love for Bengie Molina?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where is the love for Bengie Molina?!

Postby jcde7ago » Tue May 05, 2009 2:46 pm

I mean, after just over a month, he's at .295/4/20/10. (and he just hit a 3-run bomb off Sean Marshall for his 5th HR and 23rd RBI).

I think people undervalued/underrated this guy the last couple of years because he moved to San Fran and plays in a mediocre offense/pitcher's park, but he has the talent to play his position and play it well.

I posted this elsewhere:

2005: 15 HR., .295 AVG.
2006: 19 HR., .284 AVG.
2007: 19 HR., .276 AVG.
2008: 16 HR., .292 AVG.

He averaged 75(.5) RBI over those last 4 seasons as well. Those are "elite" numbers for his position.

The man does no harm whatsoever at his position, and it helps that people have passed him up the past couple of years thinking that his production will decrease playing in San Fran...but Bengie can absolutely rake, and as a Giants fan who sees him play all the time, he is just a line drive/contact machine. Not to mention, he had some insane avg. with RISP and 2 outs (can't remember exactly, but Giants announcers brought up the figure all the time) and has had some big hits in clutch situations. Very underrated/undervalued.
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where is the love for Bengie Molina?!

Postby BigTex24 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm

I draft him every year, I thought this year he was going to go too early in the draft..but nope, people still stayed away ;-D
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Bengie is a top-5 catcher this year. Beyond McCann, Mauer, Martin and Vmart, I can't think of anyone better. Soto/Doumit/Iannetta have started off slumping/injured. I refuse to believe Inge can keep his AVG a respectable number, and Posada is a near wash imo. He's not flashy, pretty old, and bats in a terrible lineup, but hitting cleanup will do wonders for your fantasy line.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 pm

McCann, Mauer, Martin, Martinez, Molina.....mmmmmmm. :-L

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Field » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Well you can't completely disregard his run totals for the past few years. Given that he's probably the slowest player in the league and plays on a weak offensive club, its likely that he'll be atleast 20 runs behind the upper-echelon guys which is why he's not in that tier despite his consistency in other areas.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Old_Style » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm

It's been this way for years. Nobody likes drafting boring, predictable players I guess.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mordraken » Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 pm

I picked Molina up off the Waiver Wire to replace Mauer until he came back. Since I also lost Devine, I was able to keep Molina as my DH (swapping Mauer & Devine on my DL). I now have to look at dropping someone or doing a 2-1 trade to activate A-Rod, and have been shopping Molina around. Let me tell you - there are NO buyers of Molina. Sure he's batting cleanup, but here are the knocks on him:

#1 - Average is great, but it's May and he hasn't drawn a single walk. Not one. In fact he's a rare player that his Average is actually HIGHER than his On Base Percentage (due to sac flys). He is an incredible contact hitter (iirr 522 ABs last year with 37Ks and only 10 walks?) but in leagues that use OBP instead of average, he is pretty pathetic.

#2 - Low Ceiling. You posted the numbers already. Not on the right side of 30 (he's 35) and he'll deliver 15-20 homers, .275-.295 average, and 80-100 RBIs. In this lineup, probably 50 runs. Last year he delivered that, and although RBIs was tops at the Catcher position, due to his low OBP, SLG, no SB, and terrible runs scored, it was good enough for only 6th fantasy rank. That is with players like Chris Ianetta only playing partial seasons.

#3 - Risk - Sure he's been consistent, but he's 35 and playing EVERY DAY behind the plate. As fantasy owners, we'll ride that as long as we can. But he's played 386 games over the past 3 years at C and I'll bet that's more than any other catcher in the Majors. That's likely to put wear and tear on the body, so is an injury risk. Anyone you try to trade him to will factor that in.

So... looking at the catchers that people may value more than Molina:

Mauer, Martin, McCann, Martinez - these are the elites.
Iannetta, Sandoval, Saltalamacchia, Wieters - these are the top tier prospects

Then you get into the "Steady Eadies" of the catchers:
Molina, Posada, Napoli...

And the breakout candidate of Inge.

Certainly Molina is worth a roster spot, but you're not going get much for him, given that those players listed above are all likely on a roster... and who wants to carry two catchers, or use a Catcher as a DH?
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm

He's my favorite player.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue May 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:He's my favorite player.

hahahaha...he's among my favorite fantasy players too. ;-D I am usually able to sit back and then snag him in all of my leagues. What's disappointing is that, despite the success, his trade value is very low. I was able to acquire VMart in a trade and with one catcher spot, Molina has been riding a pine. Three teams don't have very good catchers, and the best players I can get from them...Mark Reynolds and Koji Uehara! :-t
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjwock07 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm

All you need at catcher is consistency and consistency at the catcher position is B-E-N-J-I M-O-L-I-N-A. Don't even get me started on the other Molina having breakout year.
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers