Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill?????

Postby Mudville » Tue May 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Oatsdad wrote:I'm a Nats fan, and I wish they'd take someone else. The track record on 1st round pitchers is AWFUL. I'm old enough to remember how Ben McDonald was supposed to be the Greatest Pitcher Ever - how'd that turn out? Or Kris Benson?

Maybe Strasberg will be the exception to the rule, but that seems doubtful - we have decades of experience that says 1st round pitchers never pan out... :,-(

Wow....I'm going to assume you're joking. Otherwise, that post is so senseless it's mind-boggling. Just....wow.
Mudville
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Oatsdad wrote:I'm a Nats fan, and I wish they'd take someone else. The track record on 1st round pitchers is AWFUL. I'm old enough to remember how Ben McDonald was supposed to be the Greatest Pitcher Ever - how'd that turn out? Or Kris Benson?

Maybe Strasberg will be the exception to the rule, but that seems doubtful - we have decades of experience that says 1st round pitchers never pan out... :,-(

I'd be interested % if pitchers and hitters from the first round that don't pan out. I'd expect both are very high.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

I'd be interested % if pitchers and hitters from the first round that don't pan out. I'd expect both are very high.

You can look at past drafts on wiki and there are more pitchers in the top 5 who don't pan out of past drafts then hitters.

And here are the pitchers who went number 1 overall since 1980. You can judge who worked out and who didn't.

Mike Moore (1981)
Tim Belcher (1983)
Shawn Abner (1984)
Andy Benes (1988)
Ben McDonald (1989)
Brien Taylor (1991)..Never reached the Majors
Paul Wilson (1994)
Kris Benson (1996)
Matt Anderson (1997)
Bryan Bullington (2002)
Luke Hochevar (2006)
David Price (2007)

Of course you can't really judge Price or Hochevar yet but the rest don't lie.

I am not saying Stras is going to be the next Paul Wilson but Oatsdad has a point.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Mudville » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 pm

mac-unit wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

You can look at past drafts on wiki and there are more pitchers in the top 5 who don't pan out of past drafts then hitters.

And here are the pitchers who went number 1 overall since 1980. You can judge who worked out and who didn't.

Mike Moore (1981)
Tim Belcher (1983)
Shawn Abner (1984)
Andy Benes (1988)
Ben McDonald (1989)
Brien Taylor (1991)..Never reached the Majors
Paul Wilson (1994)
Kris Benson (1996)
Matt Anderson (1997)
Bryan Bullington (2002)
Luke Hochevar (2006)
David Price (2007)

Of course you can't really judge Price or Hochevar yet but the rest don't lie.

I am not saying Stras is going to be the next Paul Wilson but Oatsdad has a point.

And what's the point? He said he hopes the Nats pick someone other than Strasburg #1 because the track record of pitchers taken #1 (he said "first round pitchers", but I assume he meant #1 overall) is not good.
By all accounts, Strasburg is a once-a-generation type talent. He's been hyped and adored far more than any amateur pitcher in my memory. What sense does it make to reason, "Well, let's pass on him and take a hitter #1, because Kris Benson and Bryan Bullinger didn't pan out."
With the #1 pick you try and get the BEST player available. Strasburg is the consensus BEST player in the draft. For a Nats fan to actually not want him is silly. Just my 2 cents.
Mudville
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby walkoffblast » Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Until people learn how to spell your name right you are generally not worth 50 mil. I think many are overlooking the fact that boras would actually have motivation to complete a deal fast for once if the Nats really would put Strasburg straight into the majors. As for Strasburg actually being all that good once he is up I am pretty skeptical because he is so used to the ball not being put into play against him which is not going to continue in the majors.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Baronz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

you kinda wonder how long that arm of his is gonna last.
Baronz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates